PDA

View Full Version : Instant Pot was Amazon's #1 selling item in 2017

3isEnough
01-09-2018, 04:06 PM
The BBB's love for the Instant Pot helped it become the #1 selling item on Amazon last year ;) https://www.idropnews.com/news/fast-tech/amazon-reveals-ultra-popular-items-best-prime-2017-list/59577/

From the article: "...as far as non-Amazon devices, the most popular item in the United States was the Instant Pot (which, interestingly has a bit of a cult following). It was the most gifted item of 2017, the item most frequently added to users’ wish lists, and was delivered to over 27,000 zip codes across the U.S".

I don't even own an Instant Pot since I rarely cook, but it's always on the back of my mind to buy if my cooking instinct ever kicks in :)

DualvansMommy
01-09-2018, 04:19 PM
so funny! I told couple of girlfriends husbands to order it for their wives xmas gifts. They're becoming a fan of it too!

zukeypur
01-09-2018, 04:42 PM
I’m getting one if my Fagor ever dies. I got lucky with that one when it went down to $27 one day. It only has 3functons, but for $27 it’s great.

carolinacool
01-09-2018, 05:55 PM
DH got me one for Christmas. Between travel, holiday parties and illness, I haven't even had a chance to open it! I'm hoping to cook something over the long weekend.

abh5e8
01-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Dh got meet one during the prime day sale, but so far I've only used it as a slow cooker. I need to try some pressure recipes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

SASM
01-09-2018, 10:32 PM
Doesn’t surprise me at all. Love mine! I’ve had it for several years...it’s been a lifesaver, especially during moves. Over the last three days - DS (!!!) made lamb in it, I just made onion soup with the “jus”, I made hard boiled eggs, and now I am making chicken stock with my leftover Costco rotisserie chicken as we “speak”. Worth its weight in gold...got my KID to enthusiastically cook something other than pasta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legaleagle
01-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Now that they are so popular, I love that the BBB has made me an early adopter of something, since I'm a stick in the mud on everything else!

WatchingThemGrow
01-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Doesn’t surprise me at all. Love mine! I’ve had it for several years...it’s been a lifesaver, especially during moves. Over the last three days - DS (!!!) made lamb in it, I just made onion soup with the “jus”, I made hard boiled eggs, and now I am making chicken stock with my leftover Costco rotisserie chicken as we “speak”. Worth its weight in gold...got my KID to enthusiastically cook something other than pasta!

Does your DS care to share his lamb recipe??

Have you done pasta in it? It's such an easy thing to drop in cooked meat (I always brown and freeze in small portions)and some pasta and sauce for my picky eaters who may/may not dig the main course. It's a great way to make a pot to fill school lunch thermoses on a cold day and have leftovers for the rest of the week.

DualvansMommy
01-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Have you done pasta in it? It's such an easy thing to drop in cooked meat (I always brown and freeze in small portions)and some pasta and sauce for my picky eaters who may/may not dig the main course. It's a great way to make a pot to fill school lunch thermoses on a cold day and have leftovers for the rest of the week.

I have. With recipes that calls for uncooked pasta in it like chicken noodle soup, my beef and tomato with little pasta in it. Ds1 likes it either way; on stove separately or in IP with the main entree. I don’t eat pasta often, but DH grew up with an Italian grandmother and mom and doesn’t care for pasta in IP. He feels it gives a different texture from pasta cooked on stove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
01-10-2018, 04:56 PM
I needed a gift idea for my grandma so I told her an Instant Pot, but because she does 90% of her shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond she bought their brand, which I returned and bought a box and dent on from Amazon Warehouse duo 2 for $81 with my amazon credits. Tbh I was skeptical, but so far so good except I don’t think the hard boiled eggs are anything to write home about as they peel just as easy as the ones I make on the stove top and stick immediately next a cold water bath (my mom has been doing that for years). I also made rice and it made a whole lot of rice that I have quart or so full casserole of rice (which is almost too much). Except for the 4lb chicken I could’ve for everything else in the 3 qt. size and still had leftovers; but I see why the 6 qt. is popular.

legaleagle
01-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Remember you can only fill max 2/3 full for pressure cooking, only 1/2 for rice or beans. I have both and while the 3 at is adorable it's definitely mostly for sides.

SASM
01-11-2018, 12:03 AM
Does your DS care to share his lamb recipe??

Lamb recipe that DS made:
https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-7-hour-leg-of-lamb-in-90-minutes/

It was really yummy...and DD1 and I are not even huge fans of lamb. DD1 actually went back for seconds!

I do not make pasta in the IP. We use TJ's gluten-free red lentil Sedanini. Like other GF pastas, I would imagine it would be inedible in the IP. ;)

magnoliaparadise
01-11-2018, 02:26 AM
I love that Amazon is coming out with a list now! I find the different items that are top buys from different countries interesting!

SAHMIL
01-12-2018, 09:28 AM
What are good recipes to start with? I’m afraid to try it

Globetrotter
01-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Not surprising! Almost everyone I know has one, and not all were influenced by me :)

JBaxter
01-12-2018, 01:41 PM
What are good recipes to start with? I’m afraid to try it

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-chicken-gnocchi-soup/ very much like the Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi soup one of our favorites
https://www.adventuresofanurse.com/2017/01/03/zuppa-toscana-olive-garden-copycat-instant-pot-soup/ We love this also I usually double the kale and DH is low carbing so I use cauliflower instead of potatoes