PDA

View Full Version : And now, mudslides! Prayers please!

bisous
01-10-2018, 12:44 AM
This is very near to my home. The recent fire in my area is still burning and has long since been declared the largest fire in California history. Now because we've had a day of heavy rain, we've had this tragedy which has had even heavier casualties than the fires.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-rainfall-mudflow-20180109-story.html

This feels just unbearably sad. There have been many rescues but many people are still missing or unaccounted for. First responders are still looking for victims. Any prayers or positive thoughts greatly appreciated!

ourbabygirl
01-10-2018, 12:50 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry you're going through all of that. Lots of prayers, hugs, and positive thoughts going out to all of you!

PZMommy
01-10-2018, 12:55 AM
It has been a scary 24 hours around here! It took my husband over 2 hours to get to work this morning. He normally has a 20 minute commute. The roads were crazy, and his school was in an area affected by the fires, so they had roads closed due to fears of mudslides.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected by these mudslides.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-10-2018, 12:56 AM
I just heard about this. California can't catch a break, it seems :( Thoughts and prayers.

This past year with floods, fires, etc I have learned how incredibly hard it is to watch so much suffering, devastation and fear in your own community.

bisous
01-10-2018, 01:30 AM
Thank you all. While all of my friends and family members have checked in and are safe, I am just really concerned for people who are still missing or trapped in their homes. These next few hours will be really critical.

hillview
01-10-2018, 10:37 AM
sending P&PT!

rlu
01-10-2018, 02:25 PM
It is incredibly sad. On the news this morning they showed a clip of a woman in Montecito talking to the news when she suddenly looks over her shoulder and then asks "was that a house behind us?" referring to a pile of debris. Some got no warning, others disregarded.

DNephew goes to San Diego State. SIL2 took him down this weekend, 3 hours down from MIL's but 10 hours to get back due to the road closures on 5. The news says 101 won't be open for days.

123LuckyMom
01-10-2018, 02:45 PM
It’s horrible! P&PTs to you and all who are still suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Tenasparkl
01-10-2018, 02:53 PM
We had one in our area (Burbank) and luckily it wasn't fatal or incredibly destructive to more than just a few cars. I couldn't believe the photos and videos though!

sariana
01-10-2018, 04:57 PM
It is horrible and scary and sad.

Unfortunately it also is just California. Mother Nature designed it this way. The vegetation burns, followed by a wet winter to wash away all the old junk, making way for new life. It has been this way for a long time. The biggest change is the timing. Any particular area used to get it every 20 years or so--a fire in the summer, followed 6 months later by the floods. Now it happens much more frequently and closer together than 6 months. Some had been home only days after the fire evacuations before the flood evacuations started.

MontrealMum
01-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Sending P&PT to Californians.

magnoliaparadise
01-11-2018, 02:50 AM
Awful. Sending prayers and thoughts.

*myfoursons
01-11-2018, 09:34 AM
I’m so sorry. The photos are horrendous.

jawilli4
01-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Sending continuous P & PT. How scary, devastating, and exhausting.