PDA

View Full Version : Water leak question

mackmama
01-11-2018, 04:46 PM
We just got a notice from the water district that our usage is crazy high so they suspect a leak. We haven’t been using more water than normal. No other information was given on the note. How on earth do we go about finding if there’s a leak? Who would we call for such a thing? Home ownership is fun. Thanks...

jgenie
01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Do you have in ground sprinklers? Turn off your water where it comes in to your house and check your meter to see if it continues to move. If it does, you might have a leak between your house and the street. Good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Check to see if any toilets are running. And see if any outdoor faucets are dripping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robinsmommy
01-11-2018, 05:08 PM
There are leak detection companies. There is also a good plumber, if you have one - if nothing else, they might be able to steer you to a reputable company that does the former. Toilets can leak into the bowl and go unnoticed.

westwoodmom04
01-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Usually if it's a large amount, it is between the street water pipe and the hookup to your house which is underground. This happened to my in-laws. Unfortunately, detection of this and the repair is the responsibility of the homeowner.

NCGrandma
01-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Usually if it's a large amount, it is between the street water pipe and the hookup to your house which is underground. This happened to my in-laws. Unfortunately, detection of this and the repair is the responsibility of the homeowner.

This happened to me some years ago, and the first sign was my monthly wAter bill increasing from about $35 to over $800 !! I’m pretty sure it was a plumber who figured it out, and definitely who repaired it. Quite a production. I vaguely recall that the water utility gave me a little break on the bill after it was fixed but it was still an expensive experience.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mackmama
01-11-2018, 09:56 PM

Sadly this is what we have. Ugh!! We called a leak detection agency who found it today. A plumber is coming to fix it tomorrow, and it sounds quite involved. Our water will likely be shut off for a couple days - hopefully not through the whole weekend. Sigh.

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2018, 11:18 PM
If you don’t have it, buy the utility line insurance (typically offered by one of your utility companies). We had a gas line break underground and were out the cost as we didn’t have the insurance. Now we do. We have complete restore and restoration, which covers fixing the problem and putting things back as original (cement, grass...whatever they had to dig up they’ll replace).
When we had the repair, everyone thought we were nuts not to have that insurance. I’d thought it was a scam type warranty that wouldn’t actually help. Oops. I was quite wrong.

mackmama
01-12-2018, 12:30 AM
[QUOTE=SnuggleBuggles;4282034]If you don’t have it, buy the utility line insurance (typically offered by one of your utility companies). We had a gas line break underground and were out the cost as we didn’t have the insurance. Now we do. We have complete restore and restoration, which covers fixing the problem and putting things back as original (cement, grass...whatever they had to dig up they’ll replace).
When we had the repair, everyone thought we were nuts not to have that insurance. I’d thought it was a scam type warranty that wouldn’t actually help. Oops. I was quite wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Wow never heard of this. Thanks for the heads up!

NCGrandma
01-12-2018, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=SnuggleBuggles;4282034]If you don’t have it, buy the utility line insurance (typically offered by one of your utility companies). We had a gas line break underground and were out the cost as we didn’t have the insurance. Now we do. We have complete restore and restoration, which covers fixing the problem and putting things back as original (cement, grass...whatever they had to dig up they’ll replace).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Wow never heard of this. Thanks for the heads up!

I’ve never heard of utility line insurance either. Wonder if it’s more common in some areas than other?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2018, 08:57 AM
Could be more common in some areas. Older homes/ neighborhoods here. Lots of old water, sewage and gas lines. But, it’s always just printed on my utility bills as an option to buy and I get an occasional separate mailer about it. Anyway, if it’s available, it’s worth it.