PDA

View Full Version : Baby Names

Bb7mommy
01-14-2018, 07:45 AM
We are nearing the end of our pregnancy and cannot come up with names on our own. We do not know what we are having, so we need a boy and girl name. We are open to traditional, modern, trendy, international, you name it (pun intended, ha)! Please list your favorite names.

legaleagle
01-14-2018, 09:38 AM
So no staring letters you want to avoid for initial purposes or otherwise? Do you need first & middle or is middle already set?

Bb7mommy
01-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Any starting initial is fine, and we have no middle names either.

JBaxter
01-14-2018, 09:59 AM
Each of my 4 boys have a family middle name but I have a Logan Connor Nathan and Jackson. I like the traditional spellings of names vs unique / quirky spellings I've had to spell my name all my life ( Jeana said like Gina). Boys. Lucian / Luca Lawton because Law is a kickass nick name Reuben Brock Shane Gideon Bennett Quinn Evan Ross Duncan Cole Rhys Gabriel

AnnieW625
01-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Congrats on not finding out the sex of the baby! Such a hard thing to do, but I am so glad we didn’t find out the sex either.

Boy:
Carter
Ethan (pick for Dd1had she been a boy)
Ian (pick had DD2 been a boy)
Jacob
Justin
Joshua
Kevin
Logan
Max (just Max (not Maximus, Maxwell or Maximilian)....my all time favorite boy name; but I never considered it because I knew 3 other baby boys named Max the year I was pregnant w/Dd1 )
Nathan
Nicholas
Taylor

Girl:
Abigail
Angela
Audrey
Beverly
Carmen
Carter
Danica
Elisa (pronounced Ah leesa or E Lisa)
Genevieve
Jenna/Jena
Jennifer
Julianne
Jocelyn
Lauren
Logan
Louisa
Madison
Monica
Natalie
Nichole
Taylor

I have an Elisa Jean and a Lauren Christine. Elisa does gets mispronounced as Alyssa or Alicia, but it is a family name (as is her middle name) and we love it. The only downside of Elisa Jean is EJ (what my in laws call her) and she has never liked it so when choosing names for Dd2 we had to pick names that couldn’t be shortened (I actually kind of hate that we didn’t consider Theresa in honor of one of DH’s grandmas because it would’ve been LT shortened). Some I wish we would’ve chosen a different middle name for Dd2 like Nichole or Elizabeth (family name....Dh said too many, which there are), but not the end of the world. I briefly thought about spelling Lauren with a “y” because I have admired Lauryn Hill the singer since I was a teenager, but decided against it at the last minute. Madison has been a favorite name since I saw the movie Splash when I was 7 or 8; dh said it was too trendy and she would end up one in a class of many Madison’s; we have yet to meet one her age (all have been in high school or college or the 4th grade teacher at her school who is in her late 20s).

I am not much for unisex names but I like Carter, Logan, and Taylor for both. Had my brother in law’s wife was not a Taylor I would’ve considered it for one of my kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ray7694
01-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Ramsey
Sloan
Hutch
Knox
Scarlett
Lexi
Hallaway
Claire
Audrina

ArizonaGirl
01-14-2018, 06:35 PM
I love the old fashioned names.

I have a Lilian Olive and a Shawn Alton.

Charlotte
Eleanor
Evelyn
Scarlett
Hazel

Abel
Atticus
Caleb
Isaac

belovedgandp
01-14-2018, 08:40 PM
I was ridiculously systematic when coming up with our list of names. I pulled the social security lists for the most recent few years and then maybe a decade summary or one from ten years ago. I had a spreadsheet showing the rankings.

I sorted and resorted for something that was not "out there" but not overly common. I deleted a lot. DH vetoed some.

My main criteria when looking at names was that it had to have more than one syllable and not have a common nickname. I grew up with a nickname and hate having the different formal name. DH has always been called by his middle name which is an entirely different pain.

Then we stewed over about 20. Our focus was on first names. Middle names went to what sounded good and could claim a family tie.

trcy
01-14-2018, 08:56 PM
We really struggled to name our two, so I can’t be much help there. But I wanted to say congrats!
We did want names without nicknames and the middle names are family names. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ArizonaGirl
01-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Also wanted to add that middle names are family names for us as well.
Alton is my husband's Grandpa's name, and Olive was my grandma's name.

IansMom
01-15-2018, 01:44 PM
I like a different version of a family name. For example, my father is James and YDS is Jamison. I also like all versions of “Alexander” for boys. ODS’ middle name is “Alessandro.” That being said, some of my favorite names are:

Girls:
Genevieve
Evangeline
Isabelle
Alice
Beverly
Gail/Gayle
Elaine
Malia
Adeline

Boys:
Adam
Solomon
Noah
Nicholas
Xavier
Quinton
Gabriel
Myles

Bb7mommy
01-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Thank you everyone so far! I'm starting a list of the names I like, then will show them to DH, and we'll narrow it down from there.

But I could use more ideas please. I have a baby name book and have tried online lists too, but haven't found names yet.

DualvansMommy
01-19-2018, 11:07 PM
Thank you everyone so far! I'm starting a list of the names I like, then will show them to DH, and we'll narrow it down from there.

But I could use more ideas please. I have a baby name book and have tried online lists too, but haven't found names yet.

How about going by your heritage? Yours and DH? I’m Irish and Dh is Irish/Italian. Our oldest name isn’t from either as it turns out, we just loved his classical simple name. We went with an Irish name for our youngest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twotimesblue
01-21-2018, 02:08 AM
I cannot abide 'new' and made up names, especially when there are so many beautiful real names, with meaning and history, around.
In my kids' schools we have an Eiffel (yup, like the tower), a Reagan, a Temple (!!!), a Captain, a Waverly, a Bijoux, a Wolf, a Greer, and a bunch of Carters, Logans, Jaydens, Averys, Pipers etc. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I come across a Theodore or a Clara, or any 'real' name for that matter, as they are so few and far between in my area!

For boys, I love:
Max, Alastair, Zachery, Nathanial (Nate is such a great nickname!), William, Henry, Raphael, Rowan...

Girls
Eleanor, Louisa, Annabel, Lucille, Alice, Beatrice, Angelica... so many pretty names out there, and lots with lovely meaning. Congrats on your impending delivery!

rin
01-21-2018, 02:45 AM
We went with names we liked the sounds/spellings of for first names, then family names for their middle names. Can't remember our lists exactly, it's been a few years, but some of our favorites were:

GIRLS
Eleanor
Elisabeth
Mathilda
Imogen
Beatrix/Beatrice
Alice
Margaret
Annika
Ilse

BOYS
Oliver
Emmet
Everett
Rhys
Jens
Nicholas
Harold

Mommy_Mea
01-21-2018, 08:34 AM
On a road trip, I printed out the top 500 social security lists for both boys and girls. I read each name and crossed it out unless we both said "yes". That got us to a short list.

klwa
01-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Well, if either DD had been a boy, he would have been Calvin Isaac. I also had Ruth and Kay on my list for girls.

But our names were all somehow connected to family names. DS has my maiden name as his first, and his DH's father's name as his middle. DD1 has a slight variation on several great aunts' names and her middle name is my grandmother's middle name. DD2 has my 8-greats-grandmother's name and her middle name was the middle name my mom wanted to give me.

AnnieW625
01-21-2018, 10:22 AM
I cannot abide 'new' and made up names, especially when there are so many beautiful real names, with meaning and history, around.
In my kids' schools we have an Eiffel (yup, like the tower), a Reagan, a Temple (!!!), a Captain, a Waverly, a Bijoux, a Wolf, a Greer, and a bunch of Carters, Logans, Jaydens, Averys,

Names like Reagan, Carter, and Greer are most likely big names in the southern states, especially for girls. You didn’t state it but Kennedy is somewhat big in SoCal as well. These names aren’t new either. 25+ years ago I went to junior high school, and high school (in a smallish sized farm city of 30k people in NorCal) with a boy named Avery so he is 42 now! First Avery I every met; and still the only one I ever knew who was a boy (turns out Avery was a boys name way before it was a girls name). I grew up or went to college with a few Reagans in the 80s and 90s.

From what I understand in the south it can be common to name children after the mother using their maiden name. The one Carter we know is a boy and his name is exactly that.....his mother’s maiden name. She is from Houston. Carter’s brother’s name is Edward, and his sister is Lucy. Perfectly normal classic names.

Classic names are very much on the rise here and have been for quite sometime imho. We know more Charlottes, Katherines, Audreys, Lilys, Emmas, and Madelines for girls than we do girls with trendy names. I also hear the name Annie more now as an adult than I did when I was a kid. Annie was 388 in 1977 when I was born; it was 287 in 2016. Growing up I was the only Annie in my grade from kindergarten through high school; the only other Annie I knew was two years ahead of me in high school and guess what.....DH dated her for a bit in high school so about 5 years before I met him....guess he really liked the name!

2016 top 10 baby names:
RankMale nameFemale name
1Noah Emma
2Liam Olivia
3William Ava
4Mason Sophia
5James. Isabella
6Benjamin Mia
7Jacob. Charlotte
8Michael. Abigail
9Elijah. Emily
10Ethan. Harper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
01-21-2018, 10:46 AM
On a road trip, I printed out the top 500 social security lists for both boys and girls. I read each name and crossed it out unless we both said "yes". That got us to a short list.

This is a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rin
01-21-2018, 02:33 PM
In my kids' schools we have an Eiffel (yup, like the tower), a Reagan, a Temple (!!!), a Captain, a Waverly, a Bijoux, a Wolf, a Greer, and a bunch of Carters, Logans, Jaydens, Averys, Pipers etc.

Reagan was (spelled Regan) was a character in a Shakespeare play, so not so new. TBH, the Reagan spelling is so much more common now, using that over Regan would probably save your child a lot of fixing spelling corrections. Name spellings change; for example in the past Mathilda was by far the more common spelling but Matilda has largely taken over.

megs4413
01-21-2018, 11:05 PM
I love playing the name game.

If I were pregnant now, these would be my lists:

Boy:
Drew
James
Cole
Theo
Eli
Luke
Jake