PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how much data an MMS uses or question if you have limited data?

JustMe
01-14-2018, 12:02 PM
So, I have been on a phone plan that has no data but allows unlimited MMS. It has been fine, but I am at the point when I need some data. I am looking at limited plans, and now realize that MMS counts against data in most of these plans. I have asked how much data an MMS uses and counts for, but the response is that it depends on the size of the MMS. Okay, I get that but that doesn't help me know how much data I need. (I am also looking at some very well-priced annual but no contract plans that are currently at a great price and I need to buy by tomorrow).

I get that it varies a lot..but anyone have an idea of the average/range an MMS of a photo would be or how to figure this in when I think about how much data I need? I have found some data calculators, but they dont include MMS.

Thanks!

khm
01-14-2018, 03:37 PM
So, I have been on a phone plan that has no data but allows unlimited MMS. It has been fine, but I am at the point when I need some data. I am looking at limited plans, and now realize that MMS counts against data in most of these plans. I have asked how much data an MMS uses and counts for, but the response is that it depends on the size of the MMS. Okay, I get that but that doesn't help me know how much data I need. (I am also looking at some very well-priced annual but no contract plans that are currently at a great price and I need to buy by tomorrow).

I get that it varies a lot..but anyone have an idea of the average/range an MMS of a photo would be or how to figure this in when I think about how much data I need? I have found some data calculators, but they dont include MMS.

Thanks!

Can you look at your current account reports and see how much MMS you've used? I can log in online and see everything like that. Or, perhaps it is in your phone setting too. I know there is a lot of "lifetime" information in there.

JustMe
01-14-2018, 03:41 PM
Can you look at your current account reports and see how much MMS you've used? I can log in online and see everything like that. Or, perhaps it is in your phone setting too. I know there is a lot of "lifetime" information in there.

Good idea, but I have a very no frills phone service and this is not provided. I have a very new to me phone (Google Pixel 2) and so far I am only able to find the amount of data I use and which apps are using data..I can't find any info on the phone about MMS. Actually, I can try to send an MMS and see if my data changes immediately. Thanks!

MMMommy
01-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Congrats on your Pixel 2! I have a Pixel 2 XL and love it!

I'm wondering if you simply need to have a data plan to have mms texts, but the texts aren't considered chargable data. I looked it up and saw this:

"Re: Does MMS use chargeable data? To my understanding, no matter which carrier you use now, if you have a text messaging plan, it includes both SMS & MMS messages through that portion of the plan. But as you mentioned, yes, you need your "data" on in order to transmit MMS."

Did your carrier actually confirm that the texts are chargeable data? Or do you just have to have a data plan (no matter how big or small) and mms isn't drawing from that data?

JustMe
01-14-2018, 04:25 PM

I'm wondering if you simply need to have a data plan to have mms texts, but the texts aren't considered chargable data. I looked it up and saw this:

"Re: Does MMS use chargeable data? To my understanding, no matter which carrier you use now, if you have a text messaging plan, it includes both SMS & MMS messages through that portion of the plan. But as you mentioned, yes, you need your "data" on in order to transmit MMS."

Did your carrier actually confirm that the texts are chargeable data? Or do you just have to have a data plan (no matter how big or small) and mms isn't drawing from that data?

MMMommy, glad to hear you love your Pixel 2XL? I may pm you to compare notes at some point!

Yes, I do know it counts against data in the plan I am considering. Different companies handle this differently, and this one does charge it. My current company does not. FWIW, these are very cheap, no-frills companies called mvnos, which are off-shoots of the 4 major carriers.

JElaineB
01-14-2018, 05:28 PM

I have a prepaid plan (Tracfone) and MMS messages do use data. All data is "chargeable" on prepaid plans. However, it doesn't use much at all. MMS messages generally have a size limit which can be reviewed in the phone settings.

khm
01-15-2018, 10:54 AM
MMMommy, glad to hear you love your Pixel 2XL? I may pm you to compare notes at some point!

Yes, I do know it counts against data in the plan I am considering. Different companies handle this differently, and this one does charge it. My current company does not. FWIW, these are very cheap, no-frills companies called mvnos, which are off-shoots of the 4 major carriers.

In my family, three of us are on Sprint, but my youngest is on Ting with an old Sprint phone. His data probably works that way. It is EASY to monitor though, hopefully yours is the same. I can turn it on and off in the app from my phone, I can set a threshold to get a notification when it hits a certain level, etc. Honestly, he's mostly on wifi.

And, yes, MMS messages are usually limited. Photos will be compressed, it'll tell you a video is too large, etc. I'm thinking you'll be fine, just keep an eye the first month or two. I'm sure there are settings you can change if needed.

JustMe
01-15-2018, 11:17 PM
In my family, three of us are on Sprint, but my youngest is on Ting with an old Sprint phone. His data probably works that way. It is EASY to monitor though, hopefully yours is the same. I can turn it on and off in the app from my phone, I can set a threshold to get a notification when it hits a certain level, etc. Honestly, he's mostly on wifi.

And, yes, MMS messages are usually limited. Photos will be compressed, it'll tell you a video is too large, etc. I'm thinking you'll be fine, just keep an eye the first month or two. I'm sure there are settings you can change if needed.

Thanks!