PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet fever type rash?

MSWR0319
01-14-2018, 05:12 PM
Are there any other rashes that looks like scarlet fever? DS has a rough rash around his sternum, along his side and on his back. It's not bright red, but more a dull pink and is itchy and feels dry. I feel like it could be scarlet fever, but I'm also wondering if it isn't just dry skin. He swims 3 days a week and doesn't put lotion on like he should, and he does get wierd rashes in certain pools. Is there some way to fully distinguish it as scarlet fever or should I take him in just to check?

essnce629
01-14-2018, 06:06 PM
"Also known as scarlatina, scarlet fever features a bright red rash that covers most of the body. Scarlet fever is almost always accompanied by a sore throat and a high fever."
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/scarlet-fever/symptoms-causes/syc-20377406

Sounds like skin issues from the pool. I've gotten bad rashes-- red, bumpy, itchy, burning rashes from pools where the chemicals were off. I'm extremely sensitive. Try giving him Benadryl or Zyrtec. If he doesn't have a fever or any other signs of being sick I'd think it is most likely pool related.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
01-14-2018, 07:10 PM
I thought DD1 just had really bad eczema and even took her to the dermatologist a good 7-10 days before she was diagnosed with scarlet fever. She got the sore throat symptoms after the rash that covered her back and chest. She has had eczema pretty regularly since birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solsister
01-15-2018, 02:02 AM
My daughter has gotten similar rashes from Codeine cough medicine and hot tubs. Sensitive skin reacts to many things.

MSWR0319
01-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Thanks everyone! He's really bad at not putting lotion on and not taking a shower directly after swim, so the chlorine has time to sit on his skin. I thoroughly inspected him last night after his shower and his eczema is flaring really badly behind his knees and in his elbow creases so I'm hoping that's it. It looks better already this morning after a heavy dose of lotion. He's my kid who has no tonsils and gets strep throat with only a headache and stomachache as his symptoms, so I always worry a bit more about strep related things with him.