PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff of glassware thread....what are your fave everyday bowls and dishes

jerseygirl07067
01-15-2018, 02:53 PM
We have white Mikasa dinnerware which we love, and use all the time. The bowls in our set are a bit big though, so we don't use those as much. I want some smaller everyday bowls that hold up, and again are easily replaceable if broken. We now have a mish mash of various small bowls, some pyrex, some Ikea, some Corelle, and I'm looking to simplify as part of my kitchen organization for the new year. It's hard to put them all away since they are all different.

And of course we love our Ikea plastic bowls for the kids, esp when friends are over and they are snacking to their hearts content, so I'm keeping those. :)

JBaxter
01-15-2018, 02:58 PM
I went Fiestaware years ago. I can replace anything I break.

robinsmommy
01-15-2018, 02:58 PM
We have Fiestaware, another BBB fave. Are the fruit bowls too small? They are a tiny bit smaller than small Corelle bowls - which we also have, and I would love to get rid of.

jerseygirl07067
01-15-2018, 03:15 PM
The Fiestaware looks nice, but I love having everything white! It looks like it only comes in colors? I don't know what it is, I think I love the way food looks on it. It reminds me of being at a restaurant. I'm boring when it comes to dishes, lol.....

jgenie
01-15-2018, 03:39 PM
We switched to Fiesta last year. I cannot believe how happy they make me. I love setting the table, I love loading the dishwasher, I love putting the dishes in the cupboards!! I have a rainbow of colors and sizes and plan to add a couple extra pieces each year when new colors are released. They are super cheap at Kohls on Veterans Day.

jgenie
01-15-2018, 03:42 PM
We have Fiestaware, another BBB fave. Are the fruit bowls too small? They are a tiny bit smaller than small Corelle bowls - which we also have, and I would love to get rid of.

We use the fruit bowls for fruit, small servings of dessert - ice cream, pudding, apple sauce, etc. We like the bistro bowls for cereal and soup. We use the bowls that come with the place setting for pasta, small salads, etc. I like the medium bistro bowls for a large salad as a main and for using as serving dishes.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3126225115720137052?lsf=seller:7815,store:68782094 69731553630&prds=oid:15184386683651778602&q=fiestaware+bowl+sizes&hl=en-us&ei=XQJdWqCTO4fM_AbRgbvgBA&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_local&lsft=mrkgcl:609,mrkgadid:3252627366,rkg_id:0,mcid: PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_local,product_id:6178 5434,adtype:pla,product_channel:local,adpos:1o15,c reative:231592352363,device:t,matchtype:,network:g&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrB3abZEZiLCv77 rkgdLWp8mch-d1vSogJrZCJvFxdIOKZiVpA-m73gaAqj2EALw_wcB

robinsmommy
01-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Fiesta used to come in white. Surely they still do? - Ah, here 'tis.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/233518-fiesta-fruit-bowl-white.html

StantonHyde
01-15-2018, 04:29 PM
I have Denby pottery--blue with darker blue checks. We registered for every day dishes when we got married. I already had an antique china set, we didn't have enough/any matching dishes! I have loved them!!! They are cheery and make me happy. Unfortunately, now the pattern is discontinued so I will have to get anything else from Replacements.

PZMommy
01-15-2018, 04:34 PM
I love my fiesta ware. I purchased it after reading about it here.

scrooks
01-15-2018, 05:21 PM
I feel the same way others do about their fiesta! My MIL bought me a set a year ago. They really make me smile!

zukeypur
01-15-2018, 05:48 PM
My MIL has fiesta ware. It is really pretty, although the little colored pieces come off of the silverware in the dishwasher.

I have Mikasa Italian Countryside. It’s widely available for whenever the kids break something.

niccig
01-15-2018, 05:56 PM
We needed cheap to replace as I break plates. We went with ones from IKEA in the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

calebsmama03
01-15-2018, 06:48 PM
OP I'm also not a huge fan of the fiestware. I thought I would be, got a set in some colors, ended up selling them after a few years lol. I bought Ikea white sets and they are AWFUL! They get grey "cut marks" on tham super easily and looked trashed after a few uses. I asked this question a while ago (re white dinnerware) and it seemed the consensus was WS or C&B. I haven't actually bought anything new yet lol but when I do that's what it will be.

Here's my thread from a while ago in case it helps. :) http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?494267&p=4184527#post4184527

hellokitty
01-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Fiestaware is ginormous and heavy, my mil loves hers, but it is IMO very bulky and cumbersome. New dishwashers now have very tightly packed pegs. I ended up having to buy just plain white corelle to really get our dishes clean in the dishwasher. I didn't grow up with corelle, and honestly I really like it. It's cheap, it's light, it's easy to find to expand the set, I got the winter white, which will never go out of style. I also love that it doesn't stack too high in the cabinet since it's thin. I foresee that DH and I will still be using our corelle into our 80's and onward.

calebsmama03
01-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Fiestaware is ginormous and heavy, my mil loves hers, but it is IMO very bulky and cumbersome. New dishwashers now have very tightly packed pegs. I ended up having to buy just plain white corelle to really get our dishes clean in the dishwasher. I didn't grow up with corelle, and honestly I really like it. It's cheap, it's light, it's easy to find to expand the set, I got the winter white, which will never go out of style. I also love that it doesn't stack too high in the cabinet since it's thin. I foresee that DH and I will still be using our corelle into our 80's and onward.

Yes! It's just so huge and heavy . It also didn't fit in my dishwasher. I don't love Corelle but I think if I had to choose only between those 2 I'd also choose corelle. :D

Philly Mom
01-15-2018, 08:08 PM
I used to have Denby. We switched to ikea. Thin and light. We love them.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AnnieW625
01-15-2018, 08:49 PM
We have Heathware Coupe line in aqua and brown that both DH and I love however it is expensive and we have had a few pieces crack and I think the color we have is being discontinued. We have a few plates and bowls of Corelle that I bought when the kids were little and TBH I do now see the value of Corelle because it is thinner and takes up less space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
01-15-2018, 10:27 PM

I’m on team Corelle too! Fiesta ware is lovely but I also think it’s both too bulky and too heavy!

essnce629
01-15-2018, 11:24 PM
I also have white bowls (2 sizes) and tiny plates (for fruit, snacks, etc) from Ikea. I have their rounded corner square gray plates that I found on clearance one time for under a dollar each and bought all of them (15)! We have super expensive ceramic bowls and plates from DH's parents, but they are super bulky so don't fit well in the dishwasher and break super easily. So those sit in a cabinet unused while we use the Ikea stuff every day.

anonomom
01-16-2018, 08:47 AM
I love my Corelle. Part of it, I'm sure, is that it's what we had when I was a kid so it just feels "right" to me. But I love that it's lightweight, compact and durable. A family member even found me a set of their old-school stackable teacups, which I love.

I'll admit I think Fiestaware is really pretty and fun. Before I got married, I desperately wanted it for my tableware, but couldn't afford it at the time. But I don't like how heavy and bulky it is.

kara97210
01-16-2018, 08:51 AM
I like simple white plates and have this line from Williams Sonoma - https://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/tabletop-glassware-bar/tabletop-apilco/. They are great - fit well in our dishwasher and I love that the simple style really makes the food stand out. The salad plates are a really nice size - perfect size for lunch or lighter dinner. The soup plates are awesome too - they are kind of bowl plates, great for pasta, etc.

I will caveat by saying that I bought my set from a neighbor who was moving to Japan and got a whole set (plates, salad plates, bowls, soup plates) for 12 people for $100. This was shortly after we got married about 10 years ago. I've only had a bowl and one soup plate break (in one weekend, when my clumsy sister was visiting) and they are super pricey to replace (~$15-20 a piece).

SASM
01-16-2018, 03:18 PM
IKEA Arv in White: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80187862/

I like white and simple. We've had these for 9 years and 4 moves...they've fit in every dishwasher and cabinet. No complaints. ;) We also have off-white Lennox china that we use ~3x/year. I wish that I could just sell it but my kids would have a fit...they like having "special" dinnerware.

jerseygirl07067
02-06-2018, 12:30 AM
My MIL has fiesta ware. It is really pretty, although the little colored pieces come off of the silverware in the dishwasher.

I have Mikasa Italian Countryside. It’s widely available for whenever the kids break something.

I love that pattern!! It was our second favorite when we were picking out stuff for our registry years ago. :)

jerseygirl07067
02-06-2018, 12:33 AM
OP I'm also not a huge fan of the fiestware. I thought I would be, got a set in some colors, ended up selling them after a few years lol. I bought Ikea white sets and they are AWFUL! They get grey "cut marks" on tham super easily and looked trashed after a few uses. I asked this question a while ago (re white dinnerware) and it seemed the consensus was WS or C&B. I haven't actually bought anything new yet lol but when I do that's what it will be.

Here's my thread from a while ago in case it helps. :) http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?494267&p=4184527#post4184527

Thank you, your thread was so helpful! By chance are yours the Ikea 365 sets that got the cut marks on them? We have some of their plates and use them a lot since they look almost identical to our Mikasa, so we mixed them in, and haven't had any problems with that. Not sure about the other pieces in that line though.

jerseygirl07067
02-06-2018, 12:36 AM
I like simple white plates and have this line from Williams Sonoma - https://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/tabletop-glassware-bar/tabletop-apilco/. They are great - fit well in our dishwasher and I love that the simple style really makes the food stand out. The salad plates are a really nice size - perfect size for lunch or lighter dinner. The soup plates are awesome too - they are kind of bowl plates, great for pasta, etc.

I will caveat by saying that I bought my set from a neighbor who was moving to Japan and got a whole set (plates, salad plates, bowls, soup plates) for 12 people for $100. This was shortly after we got married about 10 years ago. I've only had a bowl and one soup plate break (in one weekend, when my clumsy sister was visiting) and they are super pricey to replace (~$15-20 a piece).

Wow, what a bargain you got from your neighbor!! I love those, the are almost identical to our Mikasa pattern. I also love the soup bowls in the Mikasa too, I use them all the time!

jerseygirl07067
02-06-2018, 12:37 AM

Yes, that Fiestaware is very pretty and fun, but I do think I'd have a tough time fitting it in my dishwasher, it also has the narrow stacking tines or whatever you call them. I wound up getting some open stock small Corelle bowls at Walmart, in the Winter Frost White, so I think our problem is solved!

Mikey0709
02-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Love Corelle here, but i'm another user since childhood. Even though i have the winter white, i've greatly expanded into divided plates (especially for kids), and the larger/deeper cereal bowls. Our set has grown with us. Love how thin, lightweight and stackable it is.

MMMommy
02-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Another Corelle fan. Light and durable. Easy to replace if needed.

lkoala
02-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Another Team Corelle member here too! I grew up with Corelle. When I got married I bought the elegant white pattern, I can't find it anymore but the winter frost white mixes in great so it works... I love how lightweight they are.

For company, I have the Lenox Idalia which is very hard to find nowadays but I love the pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenox-Platinum-5-Piece-Setting-Service/dp/B000F1SC9A