PDA

View Full Version : How long contagious from flu?

mackmama
01-16-2018, 01:17 PM
If your DC's teacher got the flu (positive swab for influenza), how many days later would you be comfortable with them returning to the classroom? This isn't my DC's teacher btw. (Also factor in that you know this teacher feels admin pressure not to miss too much school)

ahisma
01-16-2018, 01:30 PM
I think it's 24 hours after your last unmedicated fever, barring other symptoms.

Unless I had cause to doubt the teacher's judgement and professionalism, I'd assume that they were monitoring their personal health and wouldn't question their decision. Assuming you're in a public school, most teachers have plenty of sick time and no desire to compromise the health of their students.

JBaxter
01-16-2018, 02:28 PM
If its the same rules as kids 24 hrs after last fever. I don't think you can force a teacher to stay home longer than that.

Green_Tea
01-16-2018, 02:30 PM
When I had a confirmed case of the flu my doctor said I could return to work 24 hours after my fever broke.

marymoo86
01-16-2018, 02:34 PM
I think a flu epidemic caused by a teacher would be a bigger concern for the school administration? WebMD says 5-7 after symptoms.

Not really sure how you regulate this? Or really with any virus/cold/etc. All you can control is how well your prepare your body to respond to immune system attacks (gut health, exercise, whole foods, etc)

MSWR0319
01-16-2018, 03:24 PM
24 hours fever free with no meds.

mikala
01-16-2018, 03:31 PM
24 hours fever free without meds, the same as the policy for students.

AngB
01-16-2018, 03:36 PM
24 hrs after fever is the rule but honestly kids have probably been exposed awhile before she had symptoms/tested positive. I wouldn't really stress about it either way at this point. If you have a kid in school they are going to be exposed to it a lot right now.

Green_Tea
01-16-2018, 06:12 PM
24 hrs after fever is the rule but honestly kids have probably been exposed awhile before she had symptoms/tested positive. I wouldn't really stress about it either way at this point. If you have a kid in school they are going to be exposed to it a lot right now.

Exactly. Heck, the teacher probably caught the flu from a student your daughter's already been exposed to, OP! Your DD has a lot of years of schooling and extra curricular activities ahead of her. It would be good for you to find a healthy balance in terms of stressing about her exposure to sick people, as it will soon not be reasonable for her to miss everyday interactions. I say this as both a teacher and a parent to a child with with significant health issues of her own.

Kindra178
01-16-2018, 09:03 PM
24 hour fever free. When I had the flu last month, I felt awful for four days and kind of bad the fifth day. I suspect the teacher will go back when she feels ready to teach. By the way, no one in my family got it. I made lunches for everyone for days and cooked dinner. No one got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

PZMommy
01-16-2018, 09:04 PM
My severely asthmatic 6yr old just got the flu last week. His doctor said he could return to school 24 hours after being fever free. My DS was given Tamiflu, and has been on increased steroids. It took him a week to be well enough to return to school. He was fever free within 48 hours of his diagnosis, but his breathing is what kept him home. My older DS tested positive for the flu last week as well, and his fever broke the next day, and was back to school a day after that, so he only missed a day.

Odds are your DD was exposed to the flu long before the teacher got sick. Many kids are contagious before they even show symptoms. Not to mention all the people walking around at the store, and any other place you may be. In my area, there is a shortage of Tamiflu, so only kids with risk factors are being prescribed it. Hence my asthmatic son got the Tamiflu, but my other son did not. If your DD get sick, see her doctor soon, and maybe she will be able to get Tamiflu. I don’t know if it really made a difference or not though, my DS was almost hospitalized as he went from fine at bedtime, to struggling to breathe in the morning. It hit super fast. He was held for observation for several hours, and then released with instructions to come back if he got worse. He stayed the same for about a day, and then little by little started to improve.

essnce629
01-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Like everyone else, I'd say 24 hours fever free. Lots of stuff is going around right now, just like every winter. 8 year old DS2 just missed 4 days of school last week with a fever, nonstop cough, runny nose, headache, and chills. He tested negative for flu (you need a doctor's note if you miss 3 or more days). Just another nasty virus you have to ride out.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

AngB
01-16-2018, 10:54 PM
24 hour fever free. When I had the flu last month, I felt awful for four days and kind of bad the fifth day. I suspect the teacher will go back when she feels ready to teach. By the way, no one in my family got it. I made lunches for everyone for days and cooked dinner. No one got it.
Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

My 5 yo had it last week [we didn't know till Friday-he started having fevers Tuesday- I only took him in for an ear infection and he was positive for influenza A.] Our two year old literally stole 5 yo's cup on Tues/Wed and drank after him and is still fine, no sign of flu, fever, any illness whatsoever [no flu shot for anyone but me and I only get it b/c I have to for work, and no tamiflu.] Everyone else has been fine. I have been sure our 2yo would be getting sick any time now but nope, nothing, not even a cold.

pharmjenn
01-17-2018, 01:38 AM
The CDC protocol for hospitals is a patient remains in isolation for 7 days after onset of symptoms, or 24hrs after resolution of symptoms. So agree with PP about their 24hr recommendations

jgenie
01-17-2018, 05:55 AM
24 hrs after fever free just like students. I know thought of your DD getting sick stresses you out but she has likely already been exposed. I wouldn’t keep her from school. Fingers crossed for you that she doesn’t catch it.

calebsmama03
01-17-2018, 04:08 PM
The CDC protocol for hospitals is a patient remains in isolation for 7 days after onset of symptoms, or 24hrs after resolution of symptoms. So agree with PP about their 24hr recommendations

24h after resolution of which symptoms? If just the fever then I agree, but flu often comes with upper respiratory stuff that can linger for weeks. I am almost certain I had flu right before Christmas and only JUST got ever the last of the cough and sinus stuff last week. The fever only lasted a few days.

I will concur with PP who said she was around her family, cooked meals, etc and no one got it. Same here. I washed my hands like a crazy person and used precautions but still my kids were all around me all the time and DH slept in our bed and no one got sick so hopefully a contagious teacher wouldn't cause an epidemic at the school, either.

gymnbomb
01-17-2018, 04:30 PM
I will concur with PP who said she was around her family, cooked meals, etc and no one got it. Same here. I washed my hands like a crazy person and used precautions but still my kids were all around me all the time and DH slept in our bed and no one got sick so hopefully a contagious teacher wouldn't cause an epidemic at the school, either.

Really hoping this is true. My 5 month old had her first day of daycare yesterday and just found out her teacher has been really sick since yesterday evening. Guessing she has flu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pharmjenn
01-18-2018, 04:17 AM
24h after resolution of which symptoms? If just the fever then I agree, but flu often comes with upper respiratory stuff that can linger for weeks. I am almost certain I had flu right before Christmas and only JUST got ever the last of the cough and sinus stuff last week. The fever only lasted a few days.

Here are the quotes from the CDC guidelines for healthcare professionals. Interesting, for patients, it is 24hrs after fever or respiratory symptoms to stay in isolation. This makes for a very long shift for nurses, lab personnel and other staff that are in and out of these patient rooms. But of course, in a school, or most offices, the people around you are not immunocompromised (as other patients likely are)
For staff:
"Excluded from work until at least 24 hours after they no longer have a fever (without the use of fever-reducing medicines such as acetaminophen). Those with ongoing respiratory symptoms should be considered for evaluation by occupational health to determine appropriateness of contact with patients."

For hospitalized patients: "Droplet precautions should be implemented for patients with suspected or confirmed influenza for 7 days after illness onset or until 24 hours after the resolution of fever and respiratory symptoms, whichever is longer, while a patient is in a healthcare facility."

TwinFoxes
01-18-2018, 05:25 AM
If it got out that the powers that be in our school was pressuring ill teachers to come in I think parents would have something to say. And 24 hours fever free certainly doesn't mean you're up to returning to the class, contagious or not. Flu hits hard and a lot of people are still out of it even if they're fever free. S/he needs to talk to her union if her bosses really are presssuring her. So bizarre..:substitutes exist!

essnce629
01-18-2018, 05:53 AM
Really hoping this is true. My 5 month old had her first day of daycare yesterday and just found out her teacher has been really sick since yesterday evening. Guessing she has flu.

I wouldn't assume she has the flu. It can be any nasty virus. DS2 just got over a 4 day flu-like virus last week (fever, chills, cough, runny nose, headache). He tested negative for flu. DH got a milder version (no fever, no cough). DS1 and I didn't get sick at all.