PDA

View Full Version : Filled the house with smoke- cleaning help

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Managed to leave food cooking on the stove when I ran to the store and to get ds1 from swimming. I was gone about 40 minutes. Came home to a house filled with smoke. :(
If you have any experience on best way to clean up, I’d love to hear it. Been googling and have some ideas but open to more.
My #1 question now is should I have the carpets cleaned now or after I’ve done other types of cleaning first? Like wipe down the walls??
Can Febreeze help or is that just going to temporarily help?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

div_0305
01-17-2018, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure this would work, but I'd try odor absorbers, like bowls of baking soda and continue to air out. I'd also ask the local fire dept!

c&j04
01-17-2018, 01:45 PM
I did something similar years ago. We left windows open as much as possible for a couple days. Switched out central air filters 2x and ran that fan continuously. I washed all the curtains, gave walls a quick wipe down and vacuumed.

Eta. We didn't need to have our carpets cleaned. It wasn't a long term smoke issue so it went away easily.

Eta2. Take some clothes out of each closet and give them a sniff test after you've been outside awhile. I had to rewash the mountain of laundry but closet stuff was ok.

gymnbomb
01-17-2018, 02:07 PM
When I set our oven on fire a few years ago we opened windows, tuned on fans, burned candles, etc. and it was fine. But we did have to replace all of our smoke detectors because they got really sensitive after that and would go off ALL THE TIME.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmsmom
01-17-2018, 02:10 PM
A company like ServPro (franchise) could take care of it for you if you have the budget and don’t want to or have time to do it yourself. I think fresh air is better than Febreze... Febreze just covers the smell vs eliminating it.

Smillow
01-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Wipe everything down with Odoban. http://www.odoban.com/

c&j04
01-17-2018, 05:42 PM
Wipe everything down with Odoban. http://www.odoban.com/

I agree with this....if you can stand the smell. Its not a strong smell but it makes me sneeze uncontrollably.

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Thanks, all!!
I did look at disaster restoration prior to posting but I don’t think it’s worth the expense. It’s just elbow grease...we can deal...I think.
The smell isn’t bugging me when I’m just in the house. It’s just only when you walk in from outside that you realize how bad it smells. It’s hard to be motivated to do all that cleaning work. I’m in denial. It’s going to be miserable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bb7mommy
01-19-2018, 09:24 AM
We have used room shockers by Biocide Systems for odors. They are amazing! But you and any pets have to leave the house for 24 hours when it is working. Come back, air it out for 45 minutes, and the smell will be gone! No wiping down anything or washing all clothes, bedding, etc. It is non-toxic, but an irritant and not safe for humans or pets to be around when it's working.