PDA

View Full Version : Another what movie for a birthday party thread

div_0305
01-17-2018, 12:38 PM
If you can handle it, I've actually read through past posts, but am wondering if I'm missing any new good suggestions. This is for a sleep-under party for 7-8 year old girls, and the movie has to have too nothing sensitive in it because DD cannot handle that (eg, it took 3 times for her to finally watch Moana). She anticipates the worst and freaks herself out or gets overly anxious with sad themes. I was thinking of an American Girl movie, not the historical ones, or the Peanuts Movie, or Sing (because she's already seen it). Either way, I'd make sure she sees the movie before the party so I know she's ok with it. Please hit me with your suggestions!

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2018, 12:46 PM
George of the Jungle
Alexander and the [...] Bad Day
Princess Diary
Despicable Me

MMMommy
01-17-2018, 01:10 PM
My fav is The Parent Trap (Lindsay Lohan version, before her downward spiral). I like the original too, but I think the remake might be more modern and appealing to kids. I love Dennis Quaid and Natasha Richardson in it.

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2018, 01:20 PM
My fav is The Parent Trap (Lindsay Lohan version, before her downward spiral). I like the original too, but I think the remake might be more modern and appealing to kids. I love Dennis Quaid and Natasha Richardson in it.

Great choice! We love that one too!

baymom
01-17-2018, 01:30 PM

I was just going to suggest Parent Trap, too. We LOVE the Lindsey Lohan version. Very appreciate for that age, too.

div_0305
01-17-2018, 01:38 PM
Have you had girls whose parents are divorced watch the Parent Trap? I guess I'm wondering if it would make them think they could get their parents back together or just bring up raw feelings if going through that now or recently?

I was just reviewing story lines, and American Girl's McKenna Shoots for the Stars and Saige Paints the Sky seem to have feel good messages and nothing too dramatic. The historical ones look great, but just too heavy for my DD.

bisous
01-17-2018, 02:24 PM
I love the parent trap. I’ve nrver seen the Lindsay Lohan version, only the original but though my parents are divorced it didn’t bother me. My StepMoms name is even Vicki, lol.

Tenasparkl
01-17-2018, 02:42 PM
We did a movie projected outside on the side of our garage for DD's 9th birthday and struggled with movie choice. We ended up with Inside Out. It worked with our group because most had seen it and liked it but they hadn't watched it a million times (like Frozen when they were smaller). I realize that might be a little too emotional for your DD, but it was one of the few that I could come up with that wasn't too long, too scary, they didn't feel like was for younger kids etc.

div_0305
01-17-2018, 02:54 PM
We did a movie projected outside on the side of our garage for DD's 9th birthday and struggled with movie choice. We ended up with Inside Out. It worked with our group because most had seen it and liked it but they hadn't watched it a million times (like Frozen when they were smaller). I realize that might be a little too emotional for your DD, but it was one of the few that I could come up with that wasn't too long, too scary, they didn't feel like was for younger kids etc.

We love Inside Out here, too--she liked it also, which is kind of odd for her!

robinsmommy
01-17-2018, 05:10 PM
We love most of the Miyazaki kid films - Kiki's Delivery Service might fit the bill - mild peril, no orphaned kids or evil characters. Some of his others might not - Spirited Away would be too creepy, likely. As he also has serious-themed or violent films (Princess Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies), you can't grab just any of his. Kiki is awesome, though - one of my faves for younger viewers.

jenstring95
01-17-2018, 09:46 PM
DD loves some of the American girl movies (and especially loved them at that age). Her favorite was McKenna, and I think she also really likes Grace.

elbenn
01-18-2018, 12:56 PM
We love most of the Miyazaki kid films - Kiki's Delivery Service might fit the bill - mild peril, no orphaned kids or evil characters. Some of his others might not - Spirited Away would be too creepy, likely. As he also has serious-themed or violent films (Princess Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies), you can't grab just any of his. Kiki is awesome, though - one of my faves for younger viewers.

Another one would be Ponyo.

bisous
01-18-2018, 12:57 PM

That would be a great one! Love Miyazaki!

mackmama
01-18-2018, 01:10 PM
What is a sleep-under party?

MMMommy
01-18-2018, 01:49 PM
What is a sleep-under party?

When the kids don't actually sleepover. Like a sleepover, but they go home and don't sleep over.

citymama
01-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Sing is a great movie for the easily scared - no real bad guys and only a tiny bit of suspense. It's fun to watch a second or third time too, because of the music.

The AG films are quite serious and mature - some can be quite sad given the time periods they cover.

robinsmommy
01-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Another one would be Ponyo.

Yes, Ponyo might be an option - though I generally consider Kiki to be the mildest of the lot. The surreal aspects of many Miyazaki films make it hard to predict how any one kid, esp a sensitive one, will take them. I think Kiki has the least of those - the creepiest thing is the crows, if I remember right, and they really aren't that bad. There is a bit more peril in Ponyo than Kiki, and it has all the prehistoric fish critters. If I had a kid scared of water/sharks/etc, I would avoid that one.

vonfirmath
01-18-2018, 02:52 PM
If you can handle it, I've actually read through past posts, but am wondering if I'm missing any new good suggestions. This is for a sleep-under party for 7-8 year old girls, and the movie has to have too nothing sensitive in it because DD cannot handle that (eg, it took 3 times for her to finally watch Moana). She anticipates the worst and freaks herself out or gets overly anxious with sad themes. I was thinking of an American Girl movie, not the historical ones, or the Peanuts Movie, or Sing (because she's already seen it). Either way, I'd make sure she sees the movie before the party so I know she's ok with it. Please hit me with your suggestions!

My 6 year old LOVES the Peanuts Movie and it is one of the few my sensitivie son (age 10) also likes and will watch. (We had to leave Moana early with her because she could not handle it. My son flatly refuses to see movies in the theater anymore after a couple of bad experiences)

Both also liked the Lego Movie and Lego Batman.

div_0305
01-18-2018, 03:13 PM
My 6 year old LOVES the Peanuts Movie and it is one of the few my sensitivie son (age 10) also likes and will watch. (We had to leave Moana early with her because she could not handle it. My son flatly refuses to see movies in the theater anymore after a couple of bad experiences)

Both also liked the Lego Movie and Lego Batman.

Sounds like my kids--I don't shelter them on purpose, but maybe I'm doing it subconsciously or they are naturally super sensitive. The Disney movies have been the worst for them--so much tragedy and parents getting killed--The Lion King, Nemo, Frozen--it really affects them. DS used to make us skip over when Lightning McQueen got separated from Mack, even though he knew they would reunite. I like reminding him that now that he's a big "tween."

jent
01-18-2018, 03:26 PM
DD is also super sensitive (we’ve had to leave a movie too) and at that age one of her friends chose School of Rock, which was a big hit. I think she saw Parent Trap for the first time at that age too.

div_0305
01-18-2018, 03:31 PM
DD is also super sensitive (we’ve had to leave a movie too) and at that age one of her friends chose School of Rock, which was a big hit. I think she saw Parent Trap for the first time at that age too.

I wanted to show School of Rock originally! But then I thought I read that there was bad language in there--it's been ages since I've seen it, and I love Jack Black. Maybe I should try and find out what the language was online and reconsider.

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2018, 03:53 PM
I’m super not a stickler for bad language (my kids have heard it all when I drive... ;)) but I don’t recall anything bad in SOR. Maybe a damn or something but nothing major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

div_0305
01-18-2018, 04:44 PM
I’m super not a stickler for bad language (my kids have heard it all when I drive... ;)) but I don’t recall anything bad in SOR. Maybe a damn or something but nothing major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PG-13 rating says it's for drug references. I don't remember and drug references--just the funny part about what a hangover is.

bisous
01-18-2018, 04:53 PM
I wanted to show School of Rock originally! But then I thought I read that there was bad language in there--it's been ages since I've seen it, and I love Jack Black. Maybe I should try and find out what the language was online and reconsider.

It wouldn't be something that I would show to a group of 7-8yos but I really dislike bad language.

robinsmommy
01-18-2018, 05:14 PM
Dunno about drug references, but there was the scene with getting the principal drunk to get permission in SOR.