PDA

View Full Version : Asking AT&T to unlock your iPhone

khalloc
01-18-2018, 09:35 AM
So I have an old iPhone 6s that is 2.5 years old. I recently upgraded to a iPhone X. I want to sell the iPhone 6s. I have someone wanting to buy it from me and they asked me if it was unlocked. I told them no, but that it could be. then I chatted with an AT&T rep on the phone. He got the process started for me but apparantly it can take a few days. Is it OK to sell the phone? Or is there something that needs to be done on my end? I am confused about what happens next.

I read some instructions online from AT&T and it sounds like once they do it, you have to back up your phone, reset the phone and then reinstall from the backup? So I'm wondering if this person should wait until AT&T tells me its complete before I sell it to her?

mom2khj
01-18-2018, 10:07 AM
I just did this with DDs phone (I did it online) so that it could be transferred to Verizon. The application said it would take 2-3 business days, but it was more like 2-3 hours. I didn't get notice from AT&T that quickly, I just tried activating it on Verizon again and did not receive the locked error. Did they give you a confirmation number? I can't remember for sure, but I feel like I had a confirmation or order number where I could check the status of my request.

In your case, I'd probably wait until AT&T says it's done before selling. I'd wipe the phones contents and the buyer will need to put their SIM card in and activate it. It's up to them if they want to restore it as new or from a backup they may have. I don't think there is anything else for you to do once it's unlocked and erased.

georgiegirl
01-18-2018, 10:09 AM
I just did this too. Same experience as above. The phone was unlocked a few hours after I requested it. I got an email confirming it was unlocked. The phone has been wiped clean before (from my stepmom for DD), and we had taken it to the Verizon store before and they put a new SIM card in it before it was unlocked. Of course it didn’t work and wouldn’t set up until after it was unlocked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ckso
01-18-2018, 01:18 PM
I just did this last week online and it was super easy and got the confirmation in about 1-2 Days. Same experience as other posted

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khalloc
01-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Thanks. My buyer bailed on me so I have a few more days. I chatted again with AT&T. I guess the number I have which is a case-number is not the same as the confirmation number you need to check on the status of your unlock request online. I will wait a few more days and hope that the unlock request goes thru.

jerseygirl07067
01-18-2018, 11:25 PM
You can chat with ATT and give them your IMEI number and they can tell you if it's unlocked. If there's any balance on it, they won't unlock it. If it's 'not unlocked, you make the request, but it's pretty quick. Less than 24 hrs usually. They send you a link and tell you what to do.

Then once it's unlocked, back up your phone, wipe it and it's ready to sell. If it's an iphone is also has to be icloud unlocked also.