PDA

View Full Version : Tube mascara - pros and cons

♥ms.pacman♥
01-18-2018, 11:07 AM
Based on recommendations from the BBB I have discovered “tube mascara” (L’Oréal Double Extend in red/white tube) and at first I really really loved it . The main reason i likes it is that is smudge-proof and doesn’t leave those raccoon eye rings! Also it is easy to remove (just with warm water).

However one thing I don’t like is that often the white Step 1 “ primer” are often still very visible even after applying the Step 2 coat. The white stuff does NOT clear up at all with time and trying to cover it up with additional coats of the Step2 Black coat doesn’t seem to help that much except making it look clumpy. I did my mascara this morning in a semi-rush and now am at work and i noticed in the mirror how bad it looks because there were little white flecks throughout my lashes...ugh.

Are there other brands of tube mascara that don’t do this? Or Can u use it without the white stuff first -does it affect the staying power? I am bummed bc I really had high hopes after using it initially...

Kindra178
01-18-2018, 11:10 AM
I swear I have never had that. I have used this mascara forever - probably one of he first bbb to rec it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Hmm. I just bought some too as I wasn't happy with the smudging from my current one. I can apply in under a minute and not have that problem though. I go very light on the white though. The gentlest of touches. Remember to wiggle your brush when you apply mascara.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-18-2018, 11:20 AM
I totally wiggle the brush every time I apply. There were still white specks everywhere. :( I coated it 2-3x and still couldn’t get them all covered. I even went thru with one of those small combs to stop it from clumping. When I got to work and so how bad it looked I had to try to apply another coat and fiddle with the comb so it wasn’t clumpy, but it still can see white flecks throughout and I’m debating washing it all off (but then that would be a pain and i would have to retouch my foundation etc).

Sigh. This is so exhausting. and of the million reasons I never wore makeup...lol.

JamiMac
01-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Yes, go very light on the white part. Sometimes I let the white dry and sometimes I don’t. It always gets fully covered with the black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2018, 11:23 AM
I just do one light coat of each. I don't feel a need for more. Could you try that?

♥ms.pacman♥
01-18-2018, 11:26 AM
I just do one light coat of each. I don't feel a need for more. Could you try that?
the thing is, i feel like i need to do 2-3x coats of the black to cover up all the white stuff.

maybe i really need to apply the white stuff really lightly and only on one side (the under/inner side of lashes). this time i think i tried applying the primer to both sides (top side as well, like its often recommended with traditional mascara) and i guess that is a big no-no with this kind of mascara. even if you go over it on both sides with the black it still doesn't work. bc i do think that other times i didn't do that (coat both top and bottom) and it wasn't nearly as hard to cover up all the white primer.

khm
01-18-2018, 11:31 AM
I didn't get white specks, but I also wasn't a fan. It just looked somehow.... odd no matter how I applied it. I did like how it washed off though.

I think mascara is a hard one, what works amazing for someone's eyelashes might be a disaster on someone else's. I'm not sure what the factors are, but there is a reason there are 6 million formulations to wade through.

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2018, 11:33 AM
the thing is, i feel like i need to do 2-3x coats of the black to cover up all the white stuff.

maybe i really need to apply the white stuff really lightly and only on one side (the under/inner side of lashes). this time i think i tried applying the primer to both sides (top side as well, like its often recommended with traditional mascara) and i guess that is a big no-no with this kind of mascara. even if you go over it on both sides with the black it still doesn't work. bc i do think that other times i didn't do that (coat both top and bottom) and it wasn't nearly as hard to cover up all the white primer.

Never in my life have I applied to both sides. Must have missed that lesson. My lashes look good though. :)

♥ms.pacman♥
01-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Never in my life have I applied to both sides. Must have missed that lesson. My lashes look good though. :)
LOL, i never did either, but then in various youtube tutorials ppl recommend to do it for fuller lashes, and i think it does work for traditional mascara, which just coats the one side it is applied on. Now that i think of it, tube mascara (and the primer) probably naturally coats lashes from all side even if it's just applied on one side, so that doesn't apply here. ah well, lesson learned!

Jeanne
01-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Never had that happen but perhaps you have more/fuller lashes than me. I've gone quite heavily with the white and then apply an equal amount of the black and don't see any white. Any chance you got an older drier tube?

♥ms.pacman♥
01-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Never had that happen but perhaps you have more/fuller lashes than me. I've gone quite heavily with the white and then apply an equal amount of the black and don't see any white. Any chance you got an older drier tube?

i do have really full and dark lashes (people have commented on it)..i never used to wear mascara actually bc it always seemed "clownish" and exaggerated to me. the first few times i tried the tube mascara it did mostly work and i liked the smudgeproof-ness of it so i think it may have been that i had tried applying the primer to both sides (top and bottom) which was too much.

Jeanne
01-18-2018, 12:24 PM
i do have really full and dark lashes (people have commented on it)..i never used to wear mascara actually bc it always seemed "clownish" and exaggerated to me. the first few times i tried the tube mascara it did mostly work and i liked the smudgeproof-ness of it so i think it may have been that i had tried applying the primer to both sides (top and bottom) which was too much.

Jealous! :) I just apply the primer as I would mascara. I don't do top and bottom. My girls have been blessed with super lush lashes and they have both tried the tube mascaras and have to go very light with it they can't use the primer. It most definitely does not give a feathery fringe look the way standard wax based mascaras can when applied and combed out lightly. Have you ever tried just using the color but combing out between coats? It dies super fast though.

almostmom
01-18-2018, 01:34 PM
I got a sample of a tube mascara once. It did not come with a primer (it was from sephora) and it worked great. So it might be worth trying it without and see if it works.

twowhat?
01-18-2018, 04:05 PM
I went out and bought this too based on your last thread! LOLOL!!! So the good - it really doesn't smudge once dry. I could wear my glasses though it was irritating to feel the tips of the tubes brushing up against the inside of my glasses lenses :/

Removal was also super easy. A dream, really.

The bad - I have thin and sparse eyelashes and the tubes did a great job making them thicker and longer....and like spider legs. Sigh. So I think if you have thin/sparse eyelashes and want them to look naturally thicker/longer, this isn't the answer because it thickens and lengthens each individual lash, making things look fake. I was using a MAC extreme dimension or something like that and it gave much more natural results in terms of length and thickness...but it smudges especially with oily skin.

Since you already have dark, full lashes (lucky you!!!) I would be tempted to skip mascara totally on regular days. I hate wearing eye makeup and would love to not wear mascara if I didn't need it! Now that I've tried the L'oreal mascara, I can also see that if you already have full lashes, adding more thickness with the primer could be a mess.

I am going to keep trying using the smallest amount of primer as I can so that my eyelashes don't get unnaturally thicker. I'm also going to try without the primer to see what happens...

Oh and I never apply mascara to the tops of my lashes, only the bottoms.

eta: this made me think of brow gels that people use just to clean up the appearance of brow hairs and I wondered if they have the same for eyelashes. They do!!!! This might be worth trying - it'll separate your lashes and maybe add that extra oomph that you want without the hassles of traditional mascara if you already have great lashes! There are a few different options if you search for "clear mascara".
https://www.amazon.com/Maybelline-Great-Lash-Clear-Mascara/dp/B001KYQA1S/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516305965&sr=8-3&keywords=eyelash%2Bgel&th=1

Zansu
01-18-2018, 05:28 PM
I use Trish McEvoy. https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/trish-mcevoy-lash-curling-mascara/2803840

It's only one coat. I buy a year's worth at Nordstrom's annual mascara sale

reneed
01-18-2018, 06:54 PM
I love Blinc Mascara Amplified. It is a tube Mascara that you can layer and there is no white base coat. I do like L’Oreal double extend when I’m looking for a more dramatic look and I have extra time, which is usually never! These two Mascaras are the only two I have ever been able to use without looking like a raccoon

bisous
01-18-2018, 09:08 PM
I went out and bought this too based on your last thread! LOLOL!!! So the good - it really doesn't smudge once dry. I could wear my glasses though it was irritating to feel the tips of the tubes brushing up against the inside of my glasses lenses :/

Removal was also super easy. A dream, really.

The bad - I have thin and sparse eyelashes and the tubes did a great job making them thicker and longer....and like spider legs. Sigh. So I think if you have thin/sparse eyelashes and want them to look naturally thicker/longer, this isn't the answer because it thickens and lengthens each individual lash, making things look fake. I was using a MAC extreme dimension or something like that and it gave much more natural results in terms of length and thickness...but it smudges especially with oily skin.

Since you already have dark, full lashes (lucky you!!!) I would be tempted to skip mascara totally on regular days. I hate wearing eye makeup and would love to not wear mascara if I didn't need it! Now that I've tried the L'oreal mascara, I can also see that if you already have full lashes, adding more thickness with the primer could be a mess.

I am going to keep trying using the smallest amount of primer as I can so that my eyelashes don't get unnaturally thicker. I'm also going to try without the primer to see what happens...

Oh and I never apply mascara to the tops of my lashes, only the bottoms.

eta: this made me think of brow gels that people use just to clean up the appearance of brow hairs and I wondered if they have the same for eyelashes. They do!!!! This might be worth trying - it'll separate your lashes and maybe add that extra oomph that you want without the hassles of traditional mascara if you already have great lashes! There are a few different options if you search for "clear mascara".
https://www.amazon.com/Maybelline-Great-Lash-Clear-Mascara/dp/B001KYQA1S/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516305965&sr=8-3&keywords=eyelash%2Bgel&th=1

Sounds like we have similar eyelashes. I like the L'Oreal Voluminous mascara quite a lot!

nfceagles
01-18-2018, 11:13 PM
Yes, yes, yes!!! I could have written your post! I too bought it in the last week after reading the threads about mascara. I love that it doesn't run down my face, but the white stuff is impossible to cover up. I too have nice dark lashes to start with. I feel like I'm turning them blonde first and then trying to cover that up. The last few days I have skipped the white stuff and it seems to work just as well without it. But if there was another brand without the primer I'd give it a try. The result is a little less natural looking than my previous Maybelline Full and Soft but not having raccoon eyes has been wonderful.

pinkmomagain
01-18-2018, 11:17 PM
I stopped using the white stuff with no problems.

theriviera
01-18-2018, 11:41 PM
I tried it too and had trouble covering up the white stuff. I have really dark lashes. When i wear makeup i curl my lashes and skip mascara. I tried it today and it looks all right.

hwin708
01-19-2018, 03:46 AM
I use Blinc, so there is no white primer coat.

My understanding of the two part systems was that the first coat was for added volume. So you can certainly try just skipping that step.

If you love that extra bit of volume, though, I would suggest trying different drying times between coats. You may find you do better with the first step completely dry before applying step 2. Or, alternatively, by applying step 2 immediately after step 1, with no drying time.

And yes - I don't find that the tube mascaras do well with multiple coats once dry. Including Blinc's version specifically aimed at applying multiple coats. Imo, the formula is just clumpier with a clunkier brush. You do have a little bit of wiggle room for an extra coat with Blinc's regular formula when it is still wet.

twowhat?
01-19-2018, 10:25 AM
OK so I tried skipping the white primer with the L'Oreal mascara. MUCH BETTER!!!! And it was still smudge-proof and easy removal.

happymom
01-19-2018, 10:25 AM
I also bought the L'Oréal double extend based on the recent thread- I like the way it looks and the way it lasts all day without smudging. However, I'm so confused by all the comments about how easy it is to remove! My old mascara (covergirl orange tube) came off with a few swipes of makeup remover wipe. With this new mascara I have to stand at the sink for a few minutes washing and washing and physically removing tubes from my lashes. It does not just wash off easily like I would have expected. I am using plain warm water. Am I the only one with this problem?

twowhat?
01-19-2018, 10:29 AM
I also bought the L'Oréal double extend based on the recent thread- I like the way it looks and the way it lasts all day without smudging. However, I'm so confused by all the comments about how easy it is to remove! My old mascara (covergirl orange tube) came off with a few swipes of makeup remover wipe. With this new mascara I have to stand at the sink for a few minutes washing and washing and physically removing tubes from my lashes. It does not just wash off easily like I would have expected. I am using plain warm water. Am I the only one with this problem?

I do it in the shower in the same step that I wash my face - scrub face, then follow up with a warm wet washcloth and gently rub - they come off super easily for me that way...maybe it's the soap??

wendibird22
01-19-2018, 10:52 AM

I don't find it hard to remove. I use very warm water and before wiping my face I hold a warm washcloth to my closed eyelids for a few seconds then wipe all the make up off my face and eyelids and do a last swipe across my lashes. I can usually remove it all in two swipes.

zukeypur
01-19-2018, 11:16 AM
I had to go find the other thread to figure out what tube mascara was. Years ago, I wore a Mary Kay mascara that came off in tubes. It was great, but it became a hassle to find someone who sold MK that would badger me to buy other stuff.

I’m adding this mascara to my shopping list.

boolady
01-19-2018, 12:40 PM
I have been using this for 10+ years and I never have a problem covering the white.

zukeypur
01-21-2018, 12:52 PM
I went to Walgreens and bought two tubes of this mascara after reading this thread. There is definitely a learning curve with this mascara. It’s been three days, and I don’t feel that I have mastered it yet, but it is getting better. The problem I am having is that it seems more difficult to separate my lashes. They seem to clump together more easily than with the orange tube cover girl. I think I’ll try tomorrow without the white to see if that makes a difference. I do LOVE how easy it is to remove completely.

squimp
01-21-2018, 03:12 PM
I do the opposite, I use the white primer and my own preferred mascara sometimes. I find the L'Oreal a bit clumpy. I also like to curl my lashes first, they seem to look better if I do that. They really do last all day though. I learned about this stuff on Franish's blog a while back and really like it.

zukeypur
01-21-2018, 03:16 PM
I do the opposite, I use the white primer and my own preferred mascara sometimes. I find the L'Oreal a bit clumpy. I also like to curl my lashes first, they seem to look better if I do that. They really do last all day though. I learned about this stuff on Franish's blog a while back and really like it.

So does it still come off in tubes if you use a different mascara?

firstbaby
01-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Another thumbs up for the Trish McIvoy tube mascara. I used it for years and it was so easy to remove. Now, the time I got stuck in a rain storm while out on a run with my kids and they thought my eye lashes were falling out because the tubes washed off...that is a funny one now, lol!

AnnieW625
01-21-2018, 09:17 PM
I have never used a tubes kind of mascara. I am currently using Guerlain Maxi Lash and love it, it is awesome and it stays on all day and is super easy to apply. It is $30, but for me it is worth it. It makes my lashes look super full and it isn't clumpy. I have also used Maybelline Full N Soft, Clinique High Impact, Lancome Defincils, and Dior Dior Show Mascara, but none of them except maybe the Lancome have been as easy to apply and have lasted all day. I used to have to use a lash curler daily and haven't had to use one since I started using the Maxi Lash. I use Sephora Waterproof eye make up remover to remove before my shower and still sometimes have to follow up with a qtip and a little more eye makeup remover.

essnce629
01-22-2018, 04:29 AM
I seriously have no idea what tube mascara is, but I ordered the kind in the OP anyways since my current mascara is old!!! [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

hillview
01-22-2018, 08:18 AM
I seriously have no idea what tube mascara is, but I ordered the kind in the OP anyways since my current mascara is old!!! [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Yesterday I was thinking ALL mascara comes in a tube!! Is there common paint on or something? Then I googled it. :hysterical:

♥ms.pacman♥
01-22-2018, 11:45 AM
ok so i tried this morning without any of the Step1 white primer and it was SO much better and plus looked very natural. Woo! i guess thinking about it more, my lashes are already jet-black and rather full and so trying to add volumizer to that doesn't work as well. i guess i am lucky, though it's nothing like my 8yo son's lashes though (why is it that little boys get the longest lashes??lol)

eta: and i thought the SAME THING when i heard of tube mascara on here just a few weeks ago ("doesn't ALL mascara come in a tube??"). I had honestly never heard of this until BBB!