PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for 6yo?

bisous
01-18-2018, 05:13 PM
I KNOW that sounds too old, right?

So we're down to one car and most of the time that's fine. Today I have to walk to pick up DS2 at 2:30 and hang out at the park until DS1 is done with his guitar class (at the school) and then load up a guitar and my 4yo, 6yo, 10yo, and 14yo and walk home!

Everybody is on board with this plan. DD at 4 still rides in the stroller with me. The walk isn't terrible long, about 1.5 miles each way. DS3 is a very reluctant walker. He's entirely capable, but not very willing.

I still have an MBUD (Mountain Buggy Urban Double) that he COULD ride in.

Would you let him?

I'm also trying to interest him in riding a razor scooter alongside me.

I know people in NY do these kinds of walks with much younger kids. Mine are just spoiled by cars and suburbia.

WWYD?

gatorsmom
01-18-2018, 05:20 PM
I’d let him ride in he MBUD with the hope and intention of him deciding on his own pretty quickly that he’s too old for a stroller. I would also try to entice him with a razer scooter and other things. Maybe with enough encouragement and enticements he’ll give up the stroller.

I would NOT let him play electronics while he’s in the stroller though, or chances are he won’t want to give the stroller up. At least, that’s how my kids would work. It’s way too comfy to just ride along and let someone else push while they just sit with an iPad or Nintendo DS or whatever. I wouldn’t let that even be a consideration.

bisous
01-18-2018, 05:23 PM
I’d let him ride in he MBUD with the hope and intention of him deciding on his own pretty quickly that he’s too old for a stroller. I would also try to entice him with a razer scooter and other things. Maybe with enough encouragement and enticements he’ll give up the stroller.

I would NOT let him play electronics while he’s in the stroller though, or chances are he won’t want to give the stroller up. At least, that’s how my kids would work. It’s way too comfy to just ride along and let someone else push while they just sit with an iPad or Nintendo DS or whatever. I wouldn’t let that even be a consideration.

Yes, my kids never get electronics on the go so that's no problem! Maybe I can toss the razor in the basket of the MBUD and see if I can convince him to give it a go. I just don't know if I give in if he'll ever choose to walk. All these people with 2yos who won't ride in the stroller, lol. I can't kick mine out!

robinsmommy
01-18-2018, 05:29 PM

I think you said it very well, Gatorsmom - electronics would enable behaviors you don't want to. And yep, I would try a scooter. Be prepared for it to take awhile to walk or adapt. Are there pets on the way to say hello to? We've always enjoyed knowing where the lover-ly kitties are on walks, and stopping to briefly say hello.

MSWR0319
01-18-2018, 05:54 PM
My 9 year old would still ride in a stroller if I let him! I'd let my 6 year old if it helps the cause and then also bring the scooter if it's not too much hassle to see if that helps.

Green_Tea
01-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Three miles round trip is pretty far for a 6 year old to walk without complaining, IMO. I'd pick a a halfway point for riding in the stroller to encourage exercise, but wouldn't expect them to walk the whole way.

bisous
01-18-2018, 08:00 PM
I think you said it very well, Gatorsmom - electronics would enable behaviors you don't want to. And yep, I would try a scooter. Be prepared for it to take awhile to walk or adapt. Are there pets on the way to say hello to? We've always enjoyed knowing where the lover-ly kitties are on walks, and stopping to briefly say hello.

That's a good idea. Landmarks. :)

bisous
01-18-2018, 08:02 PM
I just got back. I took the double. It was a good thing. I forgot DS1 had a giant guitar! Ds3 is acting exceptionally tired this week and rode the whole time on the front metal part. So I had a giant guitar, a 4yo and a 6yo in my MBUD. QUITE the workout, lol!

Love the ideas about seeing cute animals and will continue to sell DS3 on the scooter. I think he needs to get to bed super early tonight! We might be faced with this situation again and we'll be better prepared next time.

I think I better hold off on selling my MBUD!

gatorsmom
01-18-2018, 08:33 PM
I just got back. I took the double. It was a good thing. I forgot DS1 had a giant guitar! Ds3 is acting exceptionally tired this week and rode the whole time on the front metal part. So I had a giant guitar, a 4yo and a 6yo in my MBUD. QUITE the workout, lol!

Love the ideas about seeing cute animals and will continue to sell DS3 on the scooter. I think he needs to get to bed super early tonight! We might be faced with this situation again and we'll be better prepared next time.

I think I better hold off on selling my MBUD!

MBUDs are tanks. I remember at one time having all my kids riding in it. The twins babies in the seats and my 5yo and 3yo riding on the footplate. It can hold up to 120lbs!!

Good thing you brought yours along today.

bisous
01-18-2018, 08:36 PM
MBUDs are tanks. I remember at one time having all my kids riding in it. The twins babies in the seats and my 5yo and 3yo riding on the footplate. It can hold up to 120lbs!!

Good thing you brought yours along today.

I actually put it up for sale this past weekend! It hasn’t sold yet and I’m taking it down. MBUDs forever!

PZMommy
01-18-2018, 08:36 PM
I’m still holding onto my city mini gt. It goes up to 65 pounds. My younger DS 6, still needs it for long days at Disney. He has low muscle tone, and while he likes to walk, there comes a point in the day where he will gladly hope in(as well my 8 yr old if given the chance! lol)

DualvansMommy
01-18-2018, 09:16 PM
I say still hold on to your MBUD! It sounds like it’ll serve you well for next couple of years, at least! Even for those odd days like you’ve encountered.

I’m still holding on my city mini gt, even though DS2 prefers to walk now. The last 18 months, we’ve only used it for Sesame Street and at our annual vacation spot down the shore. There’s a 6 mile long boardwalk 2 blocks from our rental, and the boys love waking along it every early morning. DS2 still hops on it to take a 10 min break every mile and half.

I’ll probably keep it until we’ve been to Disney in the fall 2019 then will donate or sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro