PDA

View Full Version : Turpin family case

mmsmom
01-18-2018, 09:06 PM
I have been reading a lot about this case. Anyone else? I’m shocked that it went on for so long. It’s just horrifying. So apparently in CA you can operate a private school and the state has no authority to inspect the school. It may be the same in other states but it seems someone should be checking on these “schools”. Particularly disturbing in this article is that the 29 year old weighed 82 pounds. My 11 year old is 80 pounds.

Horrific details emerge as parents accused of holding their 13 children captive are charged with torture - Los Angeles Times
https://apple.news/AiGfGIhwkQym6ckBpwriPIg

Momit
01-18-2018, 09:20 PM
I've been following it too. Absolutely horrific. Reports said the mom was very confused about why they were arrested. Say what? Maybe mental illness is a factor.

bisous
01-18-2018, 09:22 PM
I've been following it too. Absolutely horrific. Reports said the mom was very confused about why they were arrested. Say what? Maybe mental illness is a factor.

I read that she was married at age 16. I wonder how much she really understands...It really does sound like mental illness of some kind.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-18-2018, 09:28 PM
it is so beyond the pale. I read somewhere that the mom's sister reported some abuse by the dad (watching her shower, etc)?

the pictures from the wedding and the Disney trips look like something straight out of a horror film.

mmsmom
01-18-2018, 09:41 PM
it is so beyond the pale. I read somewhere that the mom's sister reported some abuse by the dad (watching her shower, etc)?

the pictures from the wedding and the Disney trips look like something straight out of a horror film.

And they filed bankruptcy because they were $240,000 in debt yet took 15 people to Disney & a vow renewal in Vegas.

mmsmom
01-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Yes the mom’s sister said she was not allowed in the house but had no idea what was going on and was upset by it. The mom’s mother said they were loving parents and has no idea why they were arrested.

Reader
01-18-2018, 10:17 PM
I have been reading a lot about this case. Anyone else? I’m shocked that it went on for so long. It’s just horrifying. So apparently in CA you can operate a private school and the state has no authority to inspect the school. It may be the same in other states but it seems someone should be checking on these “schools”. Particularly disturbing in this article is that the 29 year old weighed 82 pounds. My 11 year old is 80 pounds.

Horrific details emerge as parents accused of holding their 13 children captive are charged with torture - Los Angeles Times
https://apple.news/AiGfGIhwkQym6ckBpwriPIg

In California there is no "homeschooling". Instead homeschoolers set up private schools of 1 kid, 2 kids or however many kids are homeschooled within the family. This was affirmed to be a legal way for homeschoolers to homeschool by the Supreme Court of CA, IIRC. Every October, you file an affidavit listing the number of kids in the "school" and the names and addresses of the administrators. I'm not defending this horrifying situation, just clarifying that it's not as if it's a real private school.

Kindra178
01-18-2018, 10:51 PM
The granddad doesn’t seem to believe it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

petesgirl
01-18-2018, 11:52 PM
I read that she was married at age 16. I wonder how much she really understands...It really does sound like mental illness of some kind.

Yes, I feel like the mother must have a severe mental disorder. Also wonder where she has been abused and manipulated by her husband. The whole story is sick, sick, sick. The 17 yr old who finally took the risk and got out is a total hero here. I'm sure that must have been terrifying for her to do. Did anyone else notice that in the wedding pic all the girls have their hair parted down the middle except the girl holding the baby and standing next to the dad? It crossed my mind that maybe the baby is hers and there has been sexual abuse going on as well? I don't know but I'm glad I don't have to serve on that jury and hear all the horrific things that start coming to light.

petesgirl
01-18-2018, 11:56 PM
The granddad doesn’t seem to believe it happened.

This scares me too, that the grandparents are questioning it. I really hope the kids don't end up with any of their extended family because I don't know if their needs will be taken seriously.

jerseygirl07067
01-19-2018, 12:03 AM
It's awful, I cannot imagine. I heard some of the details today....they let their kids shower once a year and there was sexual abuse going on too. Horrible.

Kindra178
01-19-2018, 12:14 AM
This scares me too, that the grandparents are questioning it. I really hope the kids don't end up with any of their extended family because I don't know if their needs will be taken seriously.

Agree with this. I learned later that many of the kids were actually adults.

essnce629
01-19-2018, 03:55 AM
It's so disgusting and horrific! I also read lots of comments online with people speculating that the 2 year old is one of the daughters', since the mom is currently 49 years old. They said the 2 year old did not look to be abused. I actually hope that being so malnourished prevented the girls from ovulating. And only being allowed to bathe ONCE A YEAR! I can't even image! There has to be some severe mental health issues going on with the parents. And there was at least one count of sexual abuse of a minor under 14 years old and I'm sure more and more horrible details will be found out over the next several days/weeks.

specialp
01-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Look at the ages of the older kids (all names starting with J). https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-couple-charged-torture-brought-13-kids-along-when-they-n838026 They look so tiny.

I can't believe this happened. Sick, sick, sick. What a brave little 17 year old. She had to have been terrified.

khm
01-19-2018, 10:37 AM
I've read in a couple different articles that ALL of the children are the biological children of the parents. It didn't spell out "and not born to one of the victims" but I assume that is what they are trying to make clear.

How could none of the extended family find those creepy Facebook images worthy of some serious investigation? Someone who doesn't know the family wouldn't guess that many of them (6 or 7?) were ADULTS, but the aunt, uncles and grandparents knew - half of them were ADULTS???? Look at those pictures! That ain't right.

I read today another sister fled with the 17 year old, but got scared and turned back. Thank god the 17 year old didn't as well. I bet that first officer thought she was crazy, gah. Poor thing. Those poor officers too. What a horrific thing to see.

div_0305
01-19-2018, 10:51 AM
I really can't understand how no one alerted the authorities--there seems to be many relatives who had concerns for decades, and even neighbors who should have reported what they saw. Standing by and saying "none of my business" is not ok. There is nothing normal about seeing kids marching for hours, single file, each night--you see that, you call the police, not just keep watching this happen and stay silent. How terrified those children were to not seek help when out in public. I read the siblings planned the escape over 2 years!

carolinacool
01-19-2018, 12:46 PM
Look at the ages of the older kids (all names starting with J). https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-couple-charged-torture-brought-13-kids-along-when-they-n838026 They look so tiny.

I can't believe this happened. Sick, sick, sick. What a brave little 17 year old. She had to have been terrified.

It looks like NBC has pulled the photo with the adult kids, but I did see it earlier when PP posted. It's weird because while they look small for their ages and thin, they didn't really look malnourished. I think it said it was taken late 2015? This is such a strange case! I don't know what to think of the extended members. Some say they didn't have contact, didn't know for sure where they lived, etc. But the mom's FB page seemed pretty active. (It's been taken down.) I remember there were tons of photos of her out and about with the baby, although I don't remember any with the older kids except for the vow renewals and Disney.

I also don't know what to think of some of those neighbors. Some neighbors said they noticed things that maybe were odd, but I don't know if I would have called the police. But the marching, that's weird.

westwoodmom04
01-19-2018, 12:55 PM
It reminds me of the story of the Girl in the Window, which was just updated a few month ago. http://www.tampabay.com/projects/girl-in-the-window/ Until I read that article, I had no idea the degree to which neglect can cause significant and unreversable cognitive deficiencies. It also makes you wonder how many abused children are living in the shadows because they have no contact with mandated reporters, like teachers or doctors.

jacksmomtobe
01-20-2018, 06:38 AM
Westwoodmom I read the articles you linked to...how profoundly sad that a parent could neglect their child to that degree and irreparably harm them. I give the Dad who adopted her so much credit for trying his best to overcome the horrible start to life the girl was given.

The Turpin case shows us that abuse can easily be hidden in plain sight even in this day of mandated reporters.

westwoodmom04
01-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Westwoodmom I read the articles you linked to...how profoundly sad that a parent could neglect their child to that degree and irreparably harm them. I give the Dad who adopted her so much credit for trying his best to overcome the horrible start to life the girl was given.

The Turpin case shows us that abuse can easily be hidden in plain sight even in this day of mandated reporters.

An amazing series of articles isn’t it? Both uplifting and depressing at the same time, the power of a loving home and the limitations when it comes too late.

The Turbins had each other, so hopefully a little better off, but they had to also contend with abuse in addition to neglect.

Myira
01-22-2018, 10:44 AM
An amazing series of articles isn’t it? Both uplifting and depressing at the same time, the power of a loving home and the limitations when it comes too late.

The Turbins had each other, so hopefully a little better off, but they had to also contend with abuse in addition to neglect.

What an incredible story. It makes one think, what a spectrum there is on this very earth, unbelievable neglect by the birth mother and a family that shows oodles of patience and love for that same child!

gatorsmom
01-22-2018, 11:13 AM

Age has nothing to do with it. My grandmother was married at age 16 and had 10 healthy, happy, normal children. And those kids now have healthy, happy normal kids, my cousins. And besides, the mother’s not 16yo anymore. So what’s her excuse for this horrible abuse now?

This is a result of mental illness clearly.

bisous
01-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Age has nothing to do with it. My grandmother was married at age 16 and had 10 healthy, happy, normal children. And those kids now have healthy, happy normal kids, my cousins. And besides, the mother’s not 16yo anymore. So what’s her excuse for this horrible abuse now?

This is a result of mental illness clearly.

Oh I know there are good parents at young ages. My own grandma was 17 when she had my aunt. I guess I was just thinking that she left her family at such a young age to be with her older husband and hasn't had any contact with her family really since then. That seems really isolating and could be the reason that she seemed so surprised when apprehended by authorities. It is almost like she never knew normal. (All of this is total speculation but I'm just trying to figure out the psychology of the whole thing).

sariana
01-22-2018, 11:36 AM
The more I learn about this situation, the more it sounds as though the wife/mother may be almost as much of a victim as the children. Whether she is mentally ill or just deluded by someone who is essentially a cult leader, her story seems tragic too.

Chitowngirl
01-22-2018, 05:17 PM
I read those Tampa Bay articles about the girl in the window. It almost left me in tears. I kept hoping it would end with SOME sort of a happy ending for this poor girl and her devoted dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS
01-22-2018, 06:21 PM
I read those Tampa Bay articles about the girl in the window. It almost left me in tears. I kept hoping it would end with SOME sort of a happy ending for this poor girl and her devoted dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I couldn't stop crying in public. Heart-wrenching for sure. :crying:

petesgirl
01-22-2018, 07:31 PM
The more I learn about this situation, the more it sounds as though the wife/mother may be almost as much of a victim as the children. Whether she is mentally ill or just deluded by someone who is essentially a cult leader, her story seems tragic too.

This is what I was wondering too. If the mom has been controlled by this guy since she was 16 and has basically become a victim too.