PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear perfume?

hillview
01-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Do you wear perfume or anything scented? Daily? Special occasions? If so what?

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2018, 09:04 PM
I do when going out in the evening and occasional other occasions. Some weeks I wear it pretty regularly. I hope it isn't too bothersome- I lightly spray the air then walk through so I'm not very scented. :) Jo Malone Peony and Blush Suede is my go-to.

AnnieW625
01-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Yes pretty much daily. I can only wear Eau de Parfum as Eau de Toilet doesn't last as long. I like Tory Burch, Chanel Mademoiselle, and Dior J'Adore. I can't wear Estee Lauder brand perfumes as they give me a headache. I put it on my pulse points and on my neck and no one has ever complained. I started wearing perfume in my late teens.

trcy
01-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Never, most of them give me a headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

solsister
01-21-2018, 09:17 PM
I do have a daily scent, which is bizarre, because most things, even if I like the scent make me feel sick or give me a headache. Not this one. I've been wearing it for years, and always get compliments on it. It smells like just baked sugar cookies. Just a light spray will last all day.

I wear this vanilla scent.
https://www.amazon.com/LAromarine-Vanille-Eau-Toilette-spray/dp/B0006MVS1W/ref=sm_n_se_dkp_US_pr_sea_0_2?adId=B0006MVS1W&creativeASIN=B0006MVS1W&linkId=adaad11d52460552c7e8e642652db59b&tag=native0a9-20&linkCode=w42&ref-refURL=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fragrantica.com%2Fperfume %2FOutremer%2FVanille-16338.html&slotNum=0&imprToken=V0O8ajDxJ65SJ3UCFpBGoQ&adType=smart&adMode=search&adFormat=grid&impressionTimestamp=1516582957763

I also wear Escada Turqouise Summer, lightly applied, on special occasions. I actually spray it on the wall, and then dab my wrist onto it, to get a light application. I'm weird.
https://www.sephora.com/product/turquoise-summer-rollerball-P394603?skuId=1669951&om_mmc=ppc-GG_220827279_17572215519_aud-299050440718:pla-387461093177_1669951_56697993399_9032701_c&country_switch=us&lang=en&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8J2Nu7Dq2AIVlMhkCh1wFwUsEAQYASAB EgLVX_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

mmsmom
01-21-2018, 09:18 PM

Me too. I do have some that I wore on special nights out when I was younger but I don’t think I could wear it now. DH occasionally wears cologne and I’m usually ok with it but it can bother me sometimes.

I’m always reminded of a job I had 20 years ago at a private school... perfume/cologne was not allowed per the employee handbook. But the college counselor wore it anyway; lots of it. You could smell her coming before you saw her and when she left a room you could still smell her. Everyone talked about it but I guess no one officially complained or her supervisor never wanted to confront her.

Corie
01-21-2018, 09:37 PM

I don't wear perfume either because of my migraines.

georgiegirl
01-21-2018, 10:14 PM
No. I hate fragrance. Makes me feel nauseous. I wish no one would wear it. And if you do wear it, you shouldn’t be able to smell it unless you are one foot away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JElaineB
01-21-2018, 10:20 PM
No. I hate fragrance. Makes me feel nauseous. I wish no one would wear it. And if you do wear it, you shouldn’t be able to smell it unless you are one foot away.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkITA, we had a woman at work that you could smell her before you saw her and I ended up having to go to HR to get a fragrance policy in place because it was so bad. To those who do wear fragrance, please realize many people are negatively affected by scents, and likely will never say anything to you directly but will suffer in silence.

mackmama
01-21-2018, 10:28 PM
To those who do wear fragrance, please realize many people are negatively affected by scents, and likely will never say anything to you directly but will suffer in silence.

:yeahthat:

I can't stand perfume - on myself or others. I'm starting to feel like wearing a fragrance is unfair to other people. It can be such an assault to the senses regardless of application method. I'm personally very affected by perfume - gives me migraines and makes me feel nauseous.

georgiegirl
01-21-2018, 10:35 PM
I can't stand perfume - on myself or others. I'm starting to feel like wearing a fragrance is unfair to other people. It can be such an assault to the senses regardless of application method. I'm personally very affected by perfume - gives me migraines and makes me feel nauseous.

I got into a huge fight with DH about this. He knows I can’t handle fragrances. So I wasn’t able to go to his department holiday party (No childcare), and as he was getting ready, I noticed a distinct smell from the bathroom, and I said, what is that horrible smell? He got so mad at me: he assumed he could wear fragrance since I wasn’t going, but then he acted offended when I told him some people might not be able to handle his fragrance.

jgenie
01-21-2018, 10:40 PM

:yeahthat: I gave up everything scented when DS1 was born. I will occasionally use lightly scented lotion but that’s it for me.

teresah00
01-21-2018, 11:05 PM
Never, I can't stand to be around perfumes and they give me a headache. My Grandmom is one of the worst offenders, but I would never say anything to her.

DietCokeLover
01-21-2018, 11:07 PM
Most smells trigger a migraine for me, but I use a body lotion that has a very mild, fresh scent that I wear almost daily.

okinawama
01-21-2018, 11:14 PM
I too hope that mine isn't bothersome. I wear something scented daily. Sometimes that is scented lotion, a body spray or perfume. Just depends.

nfceagles
01-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Never. I don't like perfume or candles or much in the way of scents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlu
01-21-2018, 11:48 PM
Nope. Allergies. I used to be able to wear McClintock and Beautiful.

Scented lotions I can wear tend towards lemon but I tend to use unscented ones.

eta: I was volunteering at a Wellness fair today where one lady was diffusing essential oils. I couldn't be in the room and had to work an outside table to escape the smell.

anonomom
01-22-2018, 09:18 AM
I love fragrance and wear it a few times a week. I usually stick to roll-on perfume oils and then only a touch on my wrists or behind my ear -- the goal is for me to be able to enjoy it, but not necessarily walk in a cloud of scent.

Estee Lauder gives me a headache, too. I wonder what it is about that brand...

Pear
01-22-2018, 09:38 AM
No

As my allergist phrases it “we need to remove fragrance from your life”. Everything in my home is specifically sourced and fragrance free right down to the dishwasher detergent.

Just the other day I had a coughing fit out of nowhere in a store. It happened again about 10 minutes later and I realized I was sharing an aisle with the same person. That time I got enough exposure to realize she was wearing strong perfume. When she approached the checkout at the same time as me, I suddenly found one more thing I needed to go find.

So if you do wear perfume, please keep it light enough that the scent doesn’t travel away from you.

twowhat?
01-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Not daily but I will every now and then for evening work functions. I have a sample of Maison Margiela Replica (Lazy Sunday Morning) that I like because it's not an overpowering smell at all and fades quickly into a very faint scent (the kind where you would only smell it if you hugged someone) which works for me since I'm super sensitive to smells. It has a clean fresh linen / white floral scent. The sample will last me forever, LOL.

Smelling people who put enough cologne or perfume on that you can smell the cloud of scent is a super pet peeve of mine!!! I've gotten seriously nauseous from it and have had to find fresh air and sit down.

bisous
01-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Nope. Allergies. I used to be able to wear McClintock and Beautiful.

Scented lotions I can wear tend towards lemon but I tend to use unscented ones.

eta: I was volunteering at a Wellness fair today where one lady was diffusing essential oils. I couldn't be in the room and had to work an outside table to escape the smell.

I like it too. I probably wear it less than once a week though perhaps if my life were a bit more glamorous I’d have more occasion to do so. I don’t wear very much. I learned to love perfume when I lived in Southern France. It’s part of a “French Girl” aesthetic that I try to emulate that has a lot to do with natural beauty and confidence.

ETA: Oops! Meant to reply to Anonomom. It’s early and I’m on my phone.

zukeypur
01-22-2018, 10:58 AM
No, because almost all of it gives me an instant headache. I finally told my mom that she couldn’t hold my baby if she was going to wear perfume, and she toned it down quite a bit. I think she has finally stopped wearing it when she’s around me. She still washes my kids’ clothes with downy when they stay at her house, but I just rewash everything when they get home from her house.

I work in a hospital, and one of my co-workers is a horrible offender. She wears that cheap body spray to cover up the smell from her smoking. Honestly, I would rather smell smoke than her perfume. We do have a policy against wearing fragrance, but it has gone unenforced. I have complained to the manager, director, and Human Resources, all with no improvement. She was supposed to check some of my work a couple of months ago (watching me to validate my proficiency), and I refused because she was wearing perfume. I will continue to refuse to work with her as long as she is wearing it. It is really ridiculous to keep wearing perfume when you KNOW it gives someone else a headache.

gatorsmom
01-22-2018, 11:24 AM
I wear perfume sometimes if I remember and if I’m going somewhere special. I HAVE TO- I have a ton of it. I need to use it up. My parents used to buy it for me for Christmas and now my Dh buys it for me. I try to only wear enough so that you’d have to hug me to smell it. Anything more than that is too much.

I’ve convinced Dh to only buy me perfumed lotion now though which is a much softer scent. And I NEVER spray it on clothes. Always directly on my body. My mom used to be a terrible offender of perfume sprayed on clothes. You could actually smell on the sofa where she sat because she left a trail of scent!

wendibird22
01-22-2018, 11:27 AM
I use Josie Maran whipped argan oil lotion on my legs daily and it's vanilla apricot scented. The scent fades though pretty quickly...by the time I leave for work you can't smell it on my skin. I used to wear Vera Wang daily and DH used to wear a cologne daily back when we were dating and early marriage. Neither of us has worn that in years. I was actually thinking this morning how I miss that smell on DH. But I do get how there are a lot of people who are bothered by fragrance so I chose not to wear it to work.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-22-2018, 11:31 AM

:yeahthat: or they make me nauseous. i cannot stand perfume. it even makes me a bit dizzy/headachey when i smell it on other people. i am super sensitive to any artificial smells

azzeps
01-22-2018, 12:14 PM
No, I don't wear any scent. I have some perfumes, but I almost never use them. I don't have anything against them, though.

Pear
01-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Can I use this thread to beg people not to wear scents on airplanes. I have to fly soon and it is the first time since developing full blown allergies, not just sensitivity. I’m terrified the vacation is going to be spent miserable. At a holiday party last month I was having a great time the first couple of hours Then I broke out in hives. Turns out the host had just lit a scented candle in another room. Got to spend the next several days barely sleeping while I tried not to scratch my skin off all because of a few minutes of a candle burning.

bisous
01-22-2018, 12:31 PM
Can I use this thread to beg people not to wear scents on airplanes. I have to fly soon and it is the first time since developing full blown allergies, not just sensitivity. I’m terrified the vacation is going to be spent miserable. At a holiday party last month I was having a great time the first couple of hours Then I broke out in hives. Turns out the host had just lit a scented candle in another room. Got to spend the next several days barely sleeping while I tried not to scratch my skin off all because of a few minutes of a candle burning.

This is good to know! I think it would occur to me not to use scent on an airplane because I know there are many people with sensitivities but probably wouldn't occur to me to not burn a scented candle in my home. Do you tell people in advance about your allergy? That sounds positively miserable and very difficult to avoid!

Pear
01-22-2018, 12:49 PM
My allergies are fairly new, though surprisingly strong. I do tell close family and friends about my constraints because I really don’t have a choice. I also needed their help when it first showed up because the symptoms were so bad I had no choice but to ask for help. It was family who used a candle. It just didn’t occur to them that counted too.

I telecommute so work isn’t an issue except for occasional trips.

For the rest of the world I just have to hope people don’t go overboard, always carry benedryl, and be prepared to leave if I must.

I really don’t begrudge people living their normal scent filled lives. It has been hard enough for DH and DD to adapt. I can only hope that people keep their scents to a reasonable radius appropriate to the situation.

smilequeen
01-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Yeah, most days I put a tiny bit on. I didn't when my kids were little but started back up a couple years ago. My MIL bathes in perfume and it's horrid and gives me a migraine (even just to be around something that belongs to her), so I am very very conscious of keeping it light for sure.

anonomom
01-22-2018, 01:46 PM

This is fair. I always assume no perfume if I'm going to be with other people in enclosed spaces -- so, not if I know I have a meeting, or am traveling, etc.

klwa
01-22-2018, 02:03 PM
The only scented stuff I use is bath & body work (I know) Sun-Ripened Raspberry lotion, and then only on my hands in the morning. The scent is gone by the time I leave the bathroom, but it brings back memories...

Most scents give me a headache. Not a full blown migraine, but a pretty bad headache. My SIL used to sell Scentsy (maybe still does, but I don't see as many Facebook posts about it) and I couldn't walk in her house without my eyes & nose watering. She gave my youngest a stuffed animal with a scent pouch in it that was so strong, I didn't even get the box open before the headache started. That was annoying.

basil
01-22-2018, 02:27 PM
I never have. I got a bottle of “tommy girl” as a mistake from amazon when I ordered something else. So I’ll sometimes put a little on if I’m going out on a date. But too self conscious and worried about annoying other people to do it on a daily basis.

carolinacool
01-22-2018, 03:33 PM
I have a collection of B&BW lotions that I rotate through for daily use. I do have a bottle of perfume that DS and DH bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago, but I only wear it if I'm going out at night.

I live in scents -- candles, plug-ins, Scentsy -- I got it all. But I only use one at a time.

hillview
01-22-2018, 03:33 PM
I'd like something only I can smell. I am very sensitive to odors and do get migraines. Sometimes I am sitting with people who do not smell nice (some of them are related to me) and I'd love to smell something else.

MontrealMum
01-22-2018, 04:21 PM
My allergies are fairly new, though surprisingly strong. I do tell close family and friends about my constraints because I really don’t have a choice. I also needed their help when it first showed up because the symptoms were so bad I had no choice but to ask for help. It was family who used a candle. It just didn’t occur to them that counted too.

Just FYI from a lifelong allergy sufferer...I find that scented candles are usually much worse than perfume (worn normally). My list from worst to bearable is: scented candles/air fresheners, clouds of perfume, excessive body lotion/bodywash, normally applied perfume. I cannot even go into a Bath and Body Works, and I steer clear of the entrance when walking in the mall. I am able, however, to bear things like lightly applied perfume and lotions.

trentsmom
01-22-2018, 04:44 PM
I used to wear perfume all the time in my teens and 20s. I had basically stopped wearing perfume before I got pregnant. My first pregnancy did something to the way I perceive scents. Many of them now smell like cheap drugstore hairspray to me. Occasionally I'll try a sample of a new perfume, but it usually only smells good for a short time before it begins to stink. The worst is when someone hugs me who has a heavy scent on - I end up smelling like them! And it's usually men. Maybe because they put the scent on their face as an aftershave? I hope my teenager doesn't decide to start dousing himself in cologne like I remember so many doing when I was growing up. Drakkar Noir and Polo are forever linked in my scent-bank to high school.

I would like to find a scent that I could wear occasionally. I've always liked Chanel No 5 and Lolita Lempicka, but I wouldn't wear either enough to justify the price of a bottle.

SnuggleBuggles
01-22-2018, 05:50 PM
I'd like something only I can smell. I am very sensitive to odors and do get migraines. Sometimes I am sitting with people who do not smell nice (some of them are related to me) and I'd love to smell something else.

Check out the Jo Malone's. I find them all to be very light. You could go with a scented lotion as a middle ground,. maybe? At Nordstrom, they're great about giving JM samples. When dh bought my perfume, he came home laden down with lots of complementing sprays and lotions too.

ahisma
01-22-2018, 06:10 PM
:yeahthat:

I agree. I was at a speaking event last week and really struggled because the woman in front of me was quite perfumed. I wound up staying but wrapped my scarf around my lower face, which of course feels absolutely ridiculous. I ended up with a migraine anyway. It's maddening.

JBaxter
01-22-2018, 06:48 PM
I think I have a bottle that's 10 yrs old in my bathroom cabinet I'm funky with smells I sniff deodorants shampoos lotions before I buy.

Kindra178
01-22-2018, 06:49 PM
No! I can’t stand it.

speo
01-22-2018, 07:24 PM
I avoid scents whenever possible. Clouds of scents, candles, plug-ins, potpourri can give me an asthma attack. Those things plus just other scented items can give me intense allergies (nasal, itching eyes). This happens with some scents and not others. Even if it is relatively light, if I am near the person long enough (like a waiting room) I can get the symptoms which will last several hours at a minimum. I am appalled when I watch the commercials for plug-ins (or whatever they are) where it shows it spraying scent every 15 min. I think I would have to be hospitalized!

I really shouldn't be around candles (scented or unscented) due to asthma. Family members know and don't use them. I can't even be around smoke of any kind. Thank goodness I live in SoCal where people don't have fires! My poor inlaws can't use their fireplace at their cabin when we are there together. :(

citymama
01-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Perfume makes me feel ill. My entire childhood I was nauseous and dizzy if I was around my mom soon after she applied her daily perfume - never quite figured out why except that I hated it. I wear unscented creams to the extent possible, but I have discovered Mountain Rose Herbs skin creams that are lightly scented with essential oils like rose and lemon balm, which I enjoy using. All my skin and hair care products are unscented or smell of natural ingredients like tea tree. We never use air fresheners, scented detergents, candles dryer sheets etc. - they actually make me sick and wheezy.

ncat
01-22-2018, 09:33 PM

Yes! Please don't wear scents when other people will be trapped in a small, enclosed space with you for hours, with no options to leave. The worst offenders seem to reapply on the plane/train right before arrival. Yuck!

On one of the worst flights I was ever on, the pilot was in the bathroom several times. After each visit, the flight attendants sprayed large amounts of nauseating air freshener all over the front of the plane. I am sure that whatever smell they were masking would not have made me feel half as sick.

calebsmama03
01-23-2018, 01:34 AM
ITA, we had a woman at work that you could smell her before you saw her and I ended up having to go to HR to get a fragrance policy in place because it was so bad. To those who do wear fragrance, please realize many people are negatively affected by scents, and likely will never say anything to you directly but will suffer in silence.

This. Most perfumes are an instant headache with nausea for me. I can't even handle Tide/Downy level scent on my laundry (wool balls occasionally scented with citrus EO oe blend is it).

I almost never wear anything scented. I've had to toss entire bottles of conditioner for DD because her scent from across the room made me ill. :( I wear EO lotion in the lemon coconut scent and when I do wear perfume it's a TINY bit of this (it is extremely subtle and smells like sugar cookies :) ) https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/comptoir-sud-pacifique-vanille-coco-eau-de-toilette/3590294?country=US&currency=USD&cm_mmc=google-_-shopping_ret-_-662927185-_-34014189019_332f71ec-5720-6d28-5afd-00002f5af6c0&cm_mmca1=pla-259492931651_58019211&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8p3bg6zt2AIViABpCh319w_UEAQYAyAB EgLCvvD_BwE

My rule is that unless you are hugging me you shouldn't be able to smell me.

calebsmama03
01-23-2018, 01:38 AM
I think I have a bottle that's 10 yrs old in my bathroom cabinet I'm funky with smells I sniff deodorants shampoos lotions before I buy.

Me, too. I sniff everything before I buy, even if it's for a kid or DH. Can't handle most scents.

fauve01
01-23-2018, 07:35 PM

DD had to use her inhaler when the receptionist at her PT clinic had lit a scented candle in the restroom--and dd wasn't even IN the restroom.

If you wear scent (even just a tiny bit you think can only be smelled if you're hugging) or like to diffuse oils, or light candles, PLEASE remember you could be inadvertently causing harm to others with asthma or migraines or allergies.

zukeypur
01-24-2018, 03:31 PM
I had a tiny victory in the fight against perfume today. I was working, and In my own little room, and I smelled the offender from 30 feet away right after she walked in. I have been battling a headache for 4 days, and had already taken ibuprofen and Tylenol. It made the headache immediately worse as soon as I smelled her. I walked into the directors office and told her that I was either going home or quitting. She sent the other lady home to change.

I hate that I have to be a jerk to avoid a headache. Sigh.

DualvansMommy
01-24-2018, 03:44 PM
I can’t stand perfumes. I used to wear Estee all.the.time in my late teens and 20’s. I can’t pinpoint when I’ve reduced, by changing to lighter scents which was more refreshing for me.

Pregnancies really changed the way I smell scents now. My mother is the biggest culprit and can’t honestly stand staying in her house which is full of scented candles, air fresheners, glades in sockets, etc. even herself on the body there’s several different scents going on with her from scented lotions, body spray, to the strong Chanel .5 perfume, and she does it out of habit to hide the cigarette smells on her.

People, including my mother who put on a cloud of perfume on themselves right before landing in an plane are my biggest pet peeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Corie
01-24-2018, 03:48 PM

I don't look at this situation like you're the jerk. I think the perfume lady was the jerk. ;)

khm
01-24-2018, 04:42 PM
I think some users get so used to them that they can sometimes have no idea they are using/applying/burning/spraying too much scent. I can't imagine someone would purposely want their scent to proceed them by 30 feet!

bisous
01-24-2018, 07:32 PM
I had a tiny victory in the fight against perfume today. I was working, and In my own little room, and I smelled the offender from 30 feet away right after she walked in. I have been battling a headache for 4 days, and had already taken ibuprofen and Tylenol. It made the headache immediately worse as soon as I smelled her. I walked into the directors office and told her that I was either going home or quitting. She sent the other lady home to change.

Oh my gosh! Go you! That is not jerky. That is bold. It sounds like your director finally took you seriously!

trales
01-24-2018, 08:57 PM
Even some shampoos are enough to make me feel nauseous, I have asked students in my lecture hall who come in with wet hair and I can smell every product they put on to go sit in the back so I can teach. I can tell if anyone washed their clothes in tide. That is SOOOO strong.

trcy
01-24-2018, 09:51 PM
Even some shampoos are enough to make me feel nauseous, I have asked students in my lecture hall who come in with wet hair and I can smell every product they put on to go sit in the back so I can teach. I can tell if anyone washed their clothes in tide. That is SOOOO strong.

OMG, I hate Tide!

NCGrandma
01-24-2018, 10:03 PM
OMG, I hate Tide!

Hear, hear!! Not to mention all stinky dryer sheets!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

sunnyside
01-25-2018, 12:35 AM
DD had to use her inhaler when the receptionist at her PT clinic had lit a scented candle in the restroom--and dd wasn't even IN the restroom.

If you wear scent (even just a tiny bit you think can only be smelled if you're hugging) or like to diffuse oils, or light candles, PLEASE remember you could be inadvertently causing harm to others with asthma or migraines or allergies.

A candle in the restroom at a medical office? Totally bananas.

AnnieW625
01-25-2018, 01:26 AM

My dentist has lightly scented island candles at the reception desk and I love the smell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bisous
01-25-2018, 01:38 AM
OMG, I hate Tide!

You know, I’ve never been bothered by perfume or candles or anything like that but yeah, detergent actually kills me. I can’t handle the laundry aisle at Target.

essnce629
01-25-2018, 03:43 AM
I've never worn perfume and prefer unscented products like Vanicream, but someone on the holiday shopping website thread last month posted the thisiswhyimbroke.com website and I came across this F*ck Me perfume that was on it! It got good reviews on Amazon and I decided to buy it as a joke! I actually love the smell and now I put on one spritz every night after my shower before bed!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016APN8UM/

ilfaith
01-25-2018, 02:14 PM
I rarely wear actual perfume, but I do use scented body wash and lotion most days. I will say that there are only a handful of fragrances I can tolerate. I can't stand anything that smells like food (vanilla, coconut, or fruity scents) or any heavy florals. Fragrances have to be light and fresh...maybe slightly herbal. I will admit that I love the smell of laundry detergents and fabric softener...in fact if I am burning a scented candle or spraying some sort of room fragrance, it is bound to have a name like "fresh linen"

It is interesting to read that so many are fragrance-free around here. While I wouldn't dream of dousing myself in cologne before getting on an airplane, I never realized how many people are so scent-sensitive.

mmsmom
01-25-2018, 02:40 PM
I've never worn perfume and prefer unscented products like Vanicream, but someone on the holiday shopping website thread last month posted the thisiswhyimbroke.com website and I came across this F*ck Me perfume that was on it! It got good reviews on Amazon and I decided to buy it as a joke! I actually love the smell and now I put on one spritz every night after my shower before bed!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016APN8UM/

And????? Does it work? :)

SASM
01-25-2018, 02:50 PM
I don't wear perfume but I do use a very light body spray. Most scents really bother me...I need light clean scents.

zukeypur
01-26-2018, 11:13 AM

I had to have an MRI a couple of months ago. They had a horribly strong scent coming from the bathroom. It was so strong that I waited outside of the office to finish my paperwork. Having a headache before going into an MRI is awful.

You know, I’ve never been bothered by perfume or candles or anything like that but yeah, detergent actually kills me. I can’t handle the laundry aisle at Target.

Tide doesn’t bother me too much, but I can’t stand Gain. We use the Kirkland brand pods from Costco, and they also bother me. I wish they would get rid of the scent.

lizzywednesday
01-26-2018, 11:35 AM
I used to really love it; I leaned toward scents with darker base notes - musk, verbena, vanilla, sandalwood, etc.

However, my allergies kicked in severely a number of years ago and one woman who always REEKED of it (and AquaNet hairspray) sat near me on the train on my commute to work one day, which resulted in me being really rude to her (I only sort of regret this) and having an asthma attack, for which I required coffee because I didn't have my rescue inhaler on me.

Additionally, my mother's husband is EXTREMELY sensitive to scent/fragrance (it triggers both physical and mental health issues for him), so I stopped using anything resembling perfume while visiting my mother and am very picky about scents in general, including deodorant and cosmetic products.

There are a handful of scents that I find less irritating, so if I choose a fragranced product, they're within that small range of fragrances that I find tolerable, but most perfume/fragrance ingredients make my throat itch if they don't trigger a coughing fit. (I have better luck with stuff fragranced with from-nature extracts and/or essential oils than lab-synthesized - so JASON brand stuff doesn't bother me, but Pantene is a no-go.)

At this point, I don't even use scented laundry detergent!

lizzywednesday
01-26-2018, 11:38 AM
ITA, we had a woman at work that you could smell her before you saw her and I ended up having to go to HR to get a fragrance policy in place because it was so bad. To those who do wear fragrance, please realize many people are negatively affected by scents, and likely will never say anything to you directly but will suffer in silence.

I didn't know how to approach HR about this when I was first at my former job. A woman who wore perfume sprayed it at the office, IN HER CUBICLE, which was next to mine one night and I nearly had an asthma attack.

lizzywednesday
01-26-2018, 11:41 AM

Estee Lauder gives me a headache, too. I wonder what it is about that brand...

My Nana wore Estee Lauder. It has a kind of pressed powder, very heavy feel to it. I only complained to my dad once about it; it was a bad allergy day and Nana was Nana, but I wouldn't ever have told her anything.

I feel like a lot of people don't realize how strong it is, so they use a great deal more than they need.

It's really strong!

lizzywednesday
01-26-2018, 12:19 PM
... I sniff deodorants shampoos lotions before I buy.

I do, too! I thought I was the only one!!!! :ROTFLMAO: