PDA

View Full Version : Flu exposure

mackmama
01-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Ironically since I've posted about the flu recently... looks like I was exposed to the flu today. My good friend walked up to me today outside at pickup. I would have hugged her except I happened to be on the phone. She stood about 4-5 feet away from me for a few minutes while I was finishing up my call, then I looked at her and asked if she was ok. She said she was really sick "probably just a bad cold" - and I jumped away from her. Later she texted me that she thinks she has the flu.

I am sorry my friend is sick and hope she feels better soon - but I am also pretty shocked that someone would walk up to someone when so sick. I take great care not to expose others when ill. Not to mention that this year's flu is pretty concerning. I am now googling (and freaking myself out) about the likelihood of getting the flu from talking to someone from 5 feet away. She did not cough or sneeze, but I admit I'm still a bit freaked out. Makes me glad I've been thinking about whether to take Tamiflu, etc since I'm a planner.

PZMommy
01-23-2018, 12:16 AM
Just being out in public you have probably already been exposed numerous times already. It is everywhere! Your DD has most likely been exposed through kids at school. Short of looking yourself in your house, you aren’t going to be able to avoid it. I’d not worry about it. Worrying will actually make you more likely to get it because when you are stressed your body is more susceptible to illnesses!

MMMommy
01-23-2018, 12:17 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't obsess or freak out over this. There are sick people around us everywhere--the supermarket, the mall, airplanes, etc. Life is too short to worry about the "what ifs" and there is no controlling whether someone out there is sick or not. Hopefully you won't catch whatever she has. Just make sure to take good care of yourself, wash hands frequently, etc.

StantonHyde
01-23-2018, 12:47 AM
ok, at this point, call a therapist, not a doctor. really.

You have been exposed to the flu in so many ways, you just didn't know. She was 4-5 feet away, not next to you in the grocery store line. Maybe you should take an infectious disease class or something so that you understand real risk. Seriously. DH is an ER MD. He has been touching and been breathed on and coughed on by people with confirmed influenza. We are all vaxed. Are we freaking out? nope. not.at.all.

You have got nothing on my family when it comes to exposure. nada. Move along, nothing to see here.

ett
01-23-2018, 12:53 AM
Don't google about the flu!

petesgirl
01-23-2018, 01:26 AM
Don't google about the flu!

I agree. You will only find horror stories that may or may not be true. If she didn't touch you, cough on you, or sneeze on you, then you aren't going to catch the flu from her. And while it won't be fun if you catch the flu it won't be the end of the world either. It's really only super concerning for certain groups like the elderly, babies, and those with underlying health issues.

mikala
01-23-2018, 07:54 AM
I totally agree with PZmommy and StantonHyde. Stressing out over this just isn't helpful in any way.

chlobo
01-23-2018, 08:34 AM
I think you should learn about immune supports (herbs, diet, etc.) and then are yourself and your family with those. That and hand washing are probably your best defense. And I agree with others that stress will weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible.

MSWR0319
01-23-2018, 08:47 AM
That more than likely was not the first time you were exposed yesterday. I'm sure you've been exposed numerous times every day or at least every week lately. It's everywhere. Worrying about it will just weaken your immune system and up your chances of getting it. The flu is nothing to fear. If you get it, you get it. You watch yourself, rest, stay hydrated, and if something starts getting worse or not improving, etc then you go to the doctor. I think seeing a therapist might be a good idea at this point. I can't even imagine worrying about the flu like this (and I'm a worry wart!). Hang in there. You'll be ok!

jgenie
01-23-2018, 08:56 AM
I’m sorry you may have been exposed. I agree with the others - your level of stress over your family getting sick seems to be out of the range of normal by your posts here. I would discuss your worries with a therapist.

georgiegirl
01-23-2018, 09:36 AM
One of the drawbacks about having kids is that it ups your exposure to all forms of illness. At some point, your child will get sick with the flu or something equally bad. At some point she will cough on you, puke on you, etc. It’s part of being a parent and life in general. My son may or may not have had the flu last week. He had a low grade fever for about 3 days with a horrible cough. He caught it from a friend (same exact symptoms and they played together the evening before the other kids woke up sick.). Friend is convinced her kids had the flu. I wasn’t going to get DS swabbed, since he’d be exposed to even more germs at the doctors office or urgent care. My DD had the flu a few years ago (swab confirmed) and it wasn’t that bad. (She did take tamiflu). No one else got the flu from her. For me what it much worse is the whole puking thing. When everyone in the house gets it and you are dealing with more than one puking kid and when you are puking yourself. I’d rather get the flu than that. The school secretary, school nurse, and I were just debating that yesterday!

Sadly we can’t live in bubbles. DH really wants me to invent one so he can go to work (he’s always complaining that everyone is sick and coughing.). I’m a pretty big germaphobe, but I know there’s nothing you can do to eliminate your exposure except staying home and never going anywhere. I do avoid indoor play areas, and I will probably skip a parenting meeting/playgroup this morning, but my kids still go to school and participate in their regularly scheduled activities. I go grocery shopping and to Target. I go to restaurants. It’s life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JBaxter
01-23-2018, 09:54 AM
If you have been out in public in the past 3 weeks you have been exposed to the flu or a host of other virus'. It seems like you have some form of anxiety about illnesses especially the flu.

Dayzy
01-23-2018, 09:54 AM
As for your shock, let me tell you- it can go from "Ugh, I have a horrible cold!" to "Wow, I'm REALLY sick!" in a matter of a couple of hours. I woke up with a cold, the one where you just feel a little groggy but you can still function and go about your day. Two hours later I had a raging fever, chills, feeling faint, and no desire to get out of bed.

And yes, you are probably exposed every day to the flu. We were at a birthday party Sunday and all the kids were running around and I even high-fived most of them. Last night one of the boys was absent from Cub Scouts and the dad told me he came down with the flu yesterday morning. Nothing we can do.

PZMommy
01-23-2018, 10:31 AM

You have been exposed to the flu in so many ways, you just didn't know. She was 4-5 feet away, not next to you in the grocery store line. Maybe you should take an infectious disease class or something so that you understand real risk. Seriously. DH is an ER MD. He has been touching and been breathed on and coughed on by people with confirmed influenza. We are all vaxed. Are we freaking out? nope. not.at.all.

You have got nothing on my family when it comes to exposure. nada. Move along, nothing to see here.

I agree with this. My DS was hospitalized 4 times (all in PICU) and almost died during his first year of life, I had terrible anxiety over illnesses. Just someone sneezing at a store would cause me to have a panic attack. I saw a therapist to help me work through my fears. I still get nervous about illnesses, but I don’t let it run my life. My severely asthmatic DS has the flu two weeks ago. It was my worst fear. But guess what? He came through just fine. And when the rest of us caught it from him, we came through just fine as well. Just watch for difficulty with breathing and seek medical help if you see that. Otherwise there isn’t anything else you can do, and worrying about it, will only make it worse.

MMMommy
01-23-2018, 11:09 AM
I agree with prior posters to consider therapy regarding fear of illness concerns. Based on your past and recent posts, it may be helpful. I'm no stranger to being a germophobe, really! I think talking to someone might help ease your worries.

squimp
01-23-2018, 11:49 AM
I had the flu a few years ago, and no one else in my house got it. I don’t think it is so communicable that you are in great danger being 5 feet away from someone. All I can do is boost my immunity, wash hands before I eat and hope for the best.

Myira
01-23-2018, 11:50 AM
I agree the flu stories in the news, especially the ones involving kids and young people are very disturbing and I admit I have worried over those as well.
But in general, what helps me rationalize my fear is telling myself that there is tons of infectious/contagious diseases I'm not even aware of.
Follow good hygiene practices, taking flu shots and eating a healthy diet and exercise are the only things we can do in our defense.

My DD got the flu on Thursday and thus far the rest of us are not infected, even when she slept in our bed during the first 2 nights when her symptoms were the worst.

Kymberley
01-23-2018, 12:08 PM
My husband is a pharmacist in a pharmacy across from the ER. It is filled with flu patients every single day. Guess where all of those patients go? He gets their tamiflu scripts, he's gets their cough medicine scripts, he gets all of the crap that they've handled in their germ-covered hands, which have likely been coughed or sneezed on, and he hasn't caught the flu. I hugged and person at my grandmother's funeral last Wednesday with active flu. No one in my house has gotten the flu. We do discuss with our son that he MUST wash his hands before eating lunch at school because that's just common sense. Don't live life in fear of this virus because that's no way to live.

twowhat?
01-23-2018, 12:14 PM
That's not even worth worrying about! You've touched stuff contaminated with the flu and then touched your face already this season without even knowing. She was standing away from you, not even touching. Unless she coughed or sneezed in your face, your chance of getting the flu from that single interaction is basically zero. But if you've eaten out or gone anywhere in public or have a kid who is in school who comes home in the same clothes and same skin that he left the house that morning with, you've definitely been exposed already.

TwinFoxes
01-23-2018, 02:52 PM
We've all been exposed to the flu. Your friend probably thought she was being careful by standing 4-5 feet away from you, that's not especially close. You are going to make yourself sick from worrying about things that you have no control over. Take care of yourself.

Kindra178
01-23-2018, 05:14 PM
I went to work for three days before I stayed home last month with the flu. On public transportation. You aren’t going to get the flu. If you do, you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AngB
01-23-2018, 08:12 PM

:yeahthat:
I have been vaxed but have not had the flu. I walked through the ER today and thought the co-worker I was with was a bit over the top for putting a mask on just being in the ER. Then again, my 5 yo had influenza A and I slept next to him..

pinkmomagain
01-23-2018, 10:21 PM
OP - many of your posts relate a lot of worry and anxiety. While we often come to this forum with questions/concerns it seems that you are very concerned about many things. Not sure of your IRL supports, but perhaps some counseling would be helpful as a PP mentioned.

pastrygirl
01-24-2018, 10:42 PM
I would have ZERO problems going to the pickup line while sick. It’s outdoors. I probably would avoid going near people, but if it’s outdoors, it wouldn’t even occur to me that someone else would have a problem with that.

LBW
01-25-2018, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty sure I've only had the flu twice, and the first time was when my oldest was a year old. My husband was traveling for work. I had dropped my son off at daycare that morning and gone to work. By mid morning I had a raging fever and went home sick. I remember lying down on the couch and covering myself with every blanket I could find, and I was still shivering and miserable.

But I still had to pick up my son from daycare. I honestly thought about calling the police and asking them to get him because I couldn't imagine getting to the car. I had no friends or relatives who could help me. i don't know how I did it, but I did pick him up. I was in and out as quickly as possible.

Just pointing out that some parents have no choice and have to leave the house when sick.