PDA

View Full Version : Ever hired a professional resume writer / professional head shot for linked in

hillview
01-23-2018, 01:44 PM
I’m needing to start to work hard on getting a new job. I’m in a senior exec role / have been for a while. I’ve always done my own resume. Considering working with someone. Any btdt? Any feedback on going that route? Ditto professional head shot for linked in? Thanks!

mmsmom
01-23-2018, 02:11 PM
I posted about this a while back if you want to search. I used an online service and I am pleased with the result. I had always done my own as well but would have never come up with what this person did. For LinkedIn I cropped myself from a professional family photo shoot and it looks fine. The picture is so small unless someone clicks on it.

I used Careers Plus Resumes and also added on the cover letter.

lizzywednesday
01-23-2018, 02:28 PM
I'm not E-level, but I did experience a layoff and have had experience working with a "career counselor." My counseling was for 30 days following my separation date.

While I feel like I learned a great deal from the resources I was given, I was a little frustrated with the advice I was getting from the counselor who (1) didn't understand I only had 30 days' worth of services and (2) seemed to think I'm a lot younger and more outgoing than I actually am, so she suggested various career paths that were poor fits with my skill set and personality. (Like, she suggested hotel clerk/hospitality industry, and I am just not outgoing enough to be successful at that.)

It did get my resume into "getting nibbles" territory, up from what I had started with, but even then I wasn't crazy about it.

DH usually mocks up my resume, but it's often hard getting him to listen to my skill set and write my skills in meaningful ways to the industry in which I worked.

My profile photo on LinkedIn is cropped from a family photo. I kind of hate it.

minnie-zb
01-23-2018, 03:16 PM
I have a professional headshot for linkedin. I paid once to have it done -- the Picture People have a package where they will do this. It worked very well, was fast, and I came away with multiple headshots. They also permitted me to change clothes so it gave me a variety of pictures. Then about 3 years ago I had new ones taken at a conference. I walked away with 2 different shots with different outfits.

They make a big difference. I would highly suggest doing this especially as I seem to recall you are executive level.

Can't speak to the professional resume writer.

newnana
01-23-2018, 06:10 PM
Do it. Both the professional head shot and the resume writer.

In having to hire executive level individuals in my organization there is a big difference between those in the car selfies where someone thinks they look good or cropped family photos versus a professional headshot for an executive level position. Of course, in my field, the folks at that level have professional shots taken by the organization, industry-wide. I generally discard those that have an unprofessional photo for professional purposes.

For the resume writer, look for one with expertise in your field. Check out other LinkedIn or other industry networking sites in your field for profiles that you like of people you trust and ask who did theirs. Worth it at the senior exec level for sure.

hillview
01-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Do it. Both the professional head shot and the resume writer.

In having to hire executive level individuals in my organization there is a big difference between those in the car selfies where someone thinks they look good or cropped family photos versus a professional headshot for an executive level position. Of course, in my field, the folks at that level have professional shots taken by the organization, industry-wide. I generally discard those that have an unprofessional photo for professional purposes.

For the resume writer, look for one with expertise in your field. Check out other LinkedIn or other industry networking sites in your field for profiles that you like of people you trust and ask who did theirs. Worth it at the senior exec level for sure.
Thank you!! I am on it! My current headshot was done by my last company but it is UGLY and does not look like me. Thanks for your advice. I am interviewing linkedin / resume experts and lining up my headshot for next week!

newnana
01-23-2018, 06:26 PM
Hooray! Good for you! Definitely would make me feel more confident in your shoes and no thank you for an UGLY pic :) Good luck!

firstbaby
01-23-2018, 08:28 PM
Sending you a PM, Hillview

pinkmomagain
01-23-2018, 10:22 PM
I've had a professional headshot done. I think these days it is very important. Look carefully for good corporate headshot photographers in your area.