PDA

View Full Version : Chromebook recs (for kids)?

ang79
01-23-2018, 10:57 PM
Our school district uses chromebooks in the classrooms. DD1 should get her own to bring home next year in 6th grade. We are not a techy family, and while I would prefer to keep it that way, I'm realizing that maybe my kids aren't as comfortable with this technology as their peers and that as they get older it may hinder their learning, or at the least, frustrate them in their learning. This past weekend my third grader was in tears about having to use DH's desktop to do X-tra Math practice. When I questioned her more, I realized its not that she hates the X-tra math, its that she doesn't feel comfortable in how to use the technology. I realize that our desktop is different than the chromebooks at school, but she also hates using those. When I mentioned that in 4th grade she will be using the chromebook for research and typing papers, she got upset again (and said she likes writing her stories by hand). So I am considering getting a chromebook that both girls can use at home, both for school projects, and just for learning games to hopefully get them more comfortable with using them. I talked with the head tech guy from our district and he said the schools use HP 11 chromebooks in school but that all chromebooks should function the same. I am hoping to stay under $200 if possible. What are good brands to look at? Does anyone know of any good deals right now? I talked to DH about this before Christmas thinking we could get a good deal then, but he wasn't on board. After the weekend tears from DD2, he may be coming around now!

sariana
01-23-2018, 11:56 PM
I like the Acer at Target. Usually $180, goes on sale sometimes for $150, goes on a better sale once in a great while for $130. Target also sells an HP, I think. I used to use an HP, and it was fine too. (Work issued.) DS has an Asus, which we don't like as well because it has non-standard ports (eg micro-USB), which require adapters.

The Acer is an 11", which should be fine for school.

[ETA: Stay away from touchscreens. They are more expensive and not necessary at this age.]

FWIW, I love my CB, but I prefer to write stories by hand. Studies have shown that our brains work differently when we hand write vs typing.

mom2binsd
01-24-2018, 01:29 AM
Can you get exactly what they will be using at school? Our middle school gives (we rent for 100 a school year, at the end of middle school you keep it) each child a Chrombook and they take it home each day. If they are going to use that type I'd try to stick with that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sariana
01-24-2018, 02:31 AM
Can you get exactly what they will be using at school? Our middle school gives (we rent for 100 a school year, at the end of middle school you keep it) each child a Chrombook and they take it home each day. If they are going to use that type I'd try to stick with that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

It really isn't necessary to do that. Schools generally get better deals, so to get the same device likely would cost more than the <$200 the OP was looking to spend. Chromebooks all have basically the same features (except for ports and other externals, as i mentioned above). The best device for an Enterprise network at school may or may not be the best device for personal use. For example, a school device shared among students will need more working memory, which also increases the cost. School devices also need to be more robust, again a cost inflator.

There certainly is nothing wrong with getting the device the school uses, but it may not be the best use of money.

OP, if you can, have your daughter(s) touch some Chromebooks in person. One reason I like my Acer is that I like how the keyboard feels. Others might not like it. If she can try out some models in a store, she can get an idea of what might feel good to her. (Keep in mind, though, that the trackpad has settings that can be adjusted, such as sensitivity, so don't get too hung up on how it feels). Also think about weight if she might be transporting it. Our district has CBs in the classroom but also has a Bring Your Own Device policy. The lighter the better, IMO, if it's going to be carried in a backpack (for school or anything else). If possible pick it up and flip it around; see how sturdy it feels. Look at the screen and get a sense of how it looks (some have a better appearance than others).

hillview
01-24-2018, 07:16 PM
We have an acer and its been great.

ang79
01-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the idea of looking at them in store for her to touch and see. Will check out the Target one recommended, it is currently $160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatchingThemGrow
01-25-2018, 09:57 PM
As an aside, xtra math is easier for some of my kids on an iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ang79
02-01-2018, 10:01 AM
I like the Acer at Target. Usually $180, goes on sale sometimes for $150, goes on a better sale once in a great while for $130. Target also sells an HP, I think. I used to use an HP, and it was fine too. (Work issued.) DS has an Asus, which we don't like as well because it has non-standard ports (eg micro-USB), which require adapters.

The Acer is an 11", which should be fine for school.

[ETA: Stay away from touchscreens. They are more expensive and not necessary at this age.]

FWIW, I love my CB, but I prefer to write stories by hand. Studies have shown that our brains work differently when we hand write vs typing.

Still looking around. The tech guy from our district said this one is comparable to what the kids use in school: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromebook-11-6-Celeron-X9U02UT/dp/B01HHB8B9Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1516730506&sr=8-5&keywords=hp+11+chromebook, which is not a bad price. The Acer at Target (our local stores don't carry it but I can order w/ free shipping), is now $159. But the Acer is only 2 GB, and the HP is 4GB. Just wondering if that 2GB is going to be slow and frustrate the girls. Have you had any problems with yours?

Also wondering if there will be good sales for President's Day, that I should wait a few weeks to order? We aren't in a huge hurry to get it, I just figured it would be nice to have to start getting DD2 more comfortable with using the Chromebook system before she gets to 4th grade. A plus of getting it now is DD1 could use it when she has homework to do on Google Docs (which is not all that often).

sariana
02-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Still looking around. The tech guy from our district said this one is comparable to what the kids use in school: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromebook-11-6-Celeron-X9U02UT/dp/B01HHB8B9Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1516730506&sr=8-5&keywords=hp+11+chromebook, which is not a bad price. The Acer at Target (our local stores don't carry it but I can order w/ free shipping), is now $159. But the Acer is only 2 GB, and the HP is 4GB. Just wondering if that 2GB is going to be slow and frustrate the girls. Have you had any problems with yours?

Also wondering if there will be good sales for President's Day, that I should wait a few weeks to order? We aren't in a huge hurry to get it, I just figured it would be nice to have to start getting DD2 more comfortable with using the Chromebook system before she gets to 4th grade. A plus of getting it now is DD1 could use it when she has homework to do on Google Docs (which is not all that often).

The 2GB vs 4GB is the "working memory" and does affect not so much the speed (IME) but the number of tabs/windows I can have open. I have had mine freeze when I try to have too many things open and use a website that requires a lot of working memory. But I just restart and then reopen the "Recently Closed" tabs. So it hasn't been a problem for me.

But if you can get a 4GB device in the price range you want, go for it. It will provide better speed and functioning. In fact, the reason I didn't get the Target Acer for my son was that someone from my district told me it was not a very good device. He recommended and Asus, which we got. But I have regretted it ever since because of the port issue I mentioned above, and it also was not as robust. When it was my turn to get one, I chose the Acer and haven't regretted it. And we got another one for my daughter for Christmas, and she hasn't complained. But it really depends on what you do with it.

ETA: Sorry, my DD is sick and was calling me. Our district uses Acers, but not the model Target carries. The district devices are 4 GB, but they are shared among multiple users and need that extra memory. FWIW, our previous CTO wanted Dells, but the board wouldn't approve the price Dell was offering. Acer was the second choice, and IMO it has worked out well. The pilot program was with Samsungs, and those did not hold up well at all. (I used to work in the tech department, specifically Chromebook training.)

One piece of advice--make sure to go into the Settings and set My Drive as the destination for downloads. Otherwise it will download by default to the (very small) internal memory, which means it will be lost if the device needs to be reset (something Chromebook users should always be prepared to do).

ang79
02-01-2018, 12:52 PM
The 2GB vs 4GB is the "working memory" and does affect not so much the speed (IME) but the number of tabs/windows I can have open. I have had mine freeze when I try to have too many things open and use a website that requires a lot of working memory. But I just restart and then reopen the "Recently Closed" tabs. So it hasn't been a problem for me.

But if you can get a 4GB device in the price range you want, go for it. It will provide better speed and functioning. In fact, the reason I didn't get the Target Acer for my son was that someone from my district told me it was not a very good device. He recommended and Asus, which we got. But I have regretted it ever since because of the port issue I mentioned above, and it also was not as robust. When it was my turn to get one, I chose the Acer and haven't regretted it. And we got another one for my daughter for Christmas, and she hasn't complained. But it really depends on what you do with it.

ETA: Sorry, my DD is sick and was calling me. Our district uses Acers, but not the model Target carries. The district devices are 4 GB, but they are shared among multiple users and need that extra memory. FWIW, our previous CTO wanted Dells, but the board wouldn't approve the price Dell was offering. Acer was the second choice, and IMO it has worked out well. The pilot program was with Samsungs, and those did not hold up well at all. (I used to work in the tech department, specifically Chromebook training.)

One piece of advice--make sure to go into the Settings and set My Drive as the destination for downloads. Otherwise it will download by default to the (very small) internal memory, which means it will be lost if the device needs to be reset (something Chromebook users should always be prepared to do).

Thanks for the advice. I was actually just looking at the Dell Outlet and there are some 11" with 4GB for under $200 that are scratch and dent. Years ago I had a scratch and dent laptop from Dell and the only mark on it was a slight scratch you could barely see.