PDA

View Full Version : 10 School Shootings.

lovin2shop
01-23-2018, 11:33 PM
Wow, this is so sad and shocking to hear, and it is barely getting covered. I read that there have been 10 school shootings this year, yes in just 23 days. The last two days have involved 15 year old boys, and my DS is the same age. I just can't even imagine. Not looking for debate on the politics, just wondering if I was alone in not realizing how prevalent this has become? How, if at all, are you addressing with your older kids?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

citymama
01-24-2018, 01:08 AM
Whaaa? With all the madness in DC right now, I haven't seen any coverage (other than the one in KY today).

petesgirl
01-24-2018, 01:09 AM
Yikes! I heard about the one today, but none of the others.

klwa
01-24-2018, 07:44 AM
From the article I see with this info: "Some of the shootings at schools this year were suicides that injured no one else; some did not result in any injuries at all."

JBaxter
01-24-2018, 08:26 AM
Wow, this is so sad and shocking to hear, and it is barely getting covered. I read that there have been 10 school shootings this year, yes in just 23 days. The last two days have involved 15 year old boys, and my DS is the same age. I just can't even imagine. Not looking for debate on the politics, just wondering if I was alone in not realizing how prevalent this has become? How, if at all, are you addressing with your older kids?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over the week end my son received a series of text messages from an unknown person stating they were going to "shoot up" the school DS3 goes too on Monday along with confirming the person they were texting was bringing the AR-15 He brought his phone to me after trying to contact the principal I waiting a short time and called local law enforcement. I had 2 officers at my house within 30 minutes then a detective taking a recorded statement shortly there after. THey called the number ( I had forbid DS3 to touch is phone after the texts ) found out it was a boy in his math class. They left my house at 1130 pm heading the the callers home. The school sent out a robo call the next day saying there was a threat and it was found non credible that they take things like this seriously. The boy ( who had a stack of referrals for various issues and has been banned from the school bus ) was given one week suspension. There is a group who think that there should have been MORE than that. This is a county school you have to test to get into not a districted school. I PERSONALLY think a bigger message needed to be sent. It scared the SH*T out of my 14 yr old 8th grader. Yes we talked about what happens if you hear gunfire Drop belly or knee crawl to get behind something when its safe get the hell out of there

jgenie
01-24-2018, 08:46 AM
From the article I see with this info: "Some of the shootings at schools this year were suicides that injured no one else; some did not result in any injuries at all."

I can only imagine the damage done to the other students to have to witness such a gruesome act. I hope most were incidents where no one was hurt but sadly I think those are few.

khm
01-24-2018, 09:06 AM
Over the week end my son received a series of text messages from an unknown person stating they were going to "shoot up" the school DS3 goes too on Monday along with confirming the person they were texting was bringing the AR-15 He brought his phone to me after trying to contact the principal I waiting a short time and called local law enforcement. I had 2 officers at my house within 30 minutes then a detective taking a recorded statement shortly there after. THey called the number ( I had forbid DS3 to touch is phone after the texts ) found out it was a boy in his math class. They left my house at 1130 pm heading the the callers home. The school sent out a robo call the next day saying there was a threat and it was found non credible that they take things like this seriously. The boy ( who had a stack of referrals for various issues and has been banned from the school bus ) was given one week suspension. There is a group who think that there should have been MORE than that. This is a county school you have to test to get into not a districted school. I PERSONALLY think a bigger message needed to be sent. It scared the SH*T out of my 14 yr old 8th grader. Yes we talked about what happens if you hear gunfire Drop belly or knee crawl to get behind something when its safe get the hell out of there

Whoa. I'm so sorry. A neighboring town recently had a bunch of parents and kids get similar messages but it was some sort of bot attack into the contact database. I thought that's where your story was headed. I'm so sorry to hear it was so much worse.

trcy
01-24-2018, 10:10 AM
OP, do you have a link to the article?
JBaxter, that’s awful. I can’t even imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

klwa
01-24-2018, 10:17 AM
OP, do you have a link to the article?
JBaxter, that’s awful. I can’t even imagine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/us/kentucky-school-shooting.html This is the one I found, which lists 11.

klwa
01-24-2018, 10:38 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/24/recent-school-shootings-in-us.html
And this lists 8, although it goes back into 2017. I'm guessing most of the others were the cases of suicides or where no one was hurt.

robinsmommy
01-24-2018, 10:41 AM
I get that there is an attempt to not give national media coverage to some of the shooters who crave attention. But part of me wonders if the new silence in the media is keeping action from happening because things are hushed up.

JBaxter, that must have been so scary. Kudos to you and DS both, for not sitting on it, as so many others have in prior situations. I agree that a week suspension was probably not enough. If a kid that age hasn't seen enough to realize the seriousness of that kind of threat, they have much bigger issues than a lack of brains to see the outcome of a "prank."

Kindra178
01-24-2018, 11:00 AM
My elementary age kids practice what to do in the event of a school shooting. The kids hide in cabinets and cubbies. Insane.

sariana
01-24-2018, 11:32 AM
I wonder if the boy in JBaxter's story may have had an IEP. That changes the rules somewhat, and the school would not be able to reveal it if he did. It doesn't mean the punishment can't be more severe, but there are specific steps that must be taken. Or there could be other confidential extenuating circumstances.

None of that makes it any less scary, though, or any easier for authorities to deal with.

JBaxter
01-24-2018, 11:36 AM
I wonder if the boy in JBaxter's story may have had an IEP. That changes the rules somewhat, and the school would not be able to reveal it if he did. It doesn't mean the punishment can't be more severe, but there are specific steps that must be taken. Or there could be other confidential extenuating circumstances.

None of that makes it any less scary, though, or any easier for authorities to deal with.

I have no idea but I've been told from others who have been in school with him for several years ( this is DS3's first year at this school) he has many many referral and is no longer allowed to ride the bus to school. This is the top school in the state and they really don't have to allow him to attend there he could be referred back to his districted school.

chlobo
01-24-2018, 12:30 PM
I have no idea but I've been told from others who have been in school with him for several years ( this is DS3's first year at this school) he has many many referral and is no longer allowed to ride the bus to school. This is the top school in the state and they really don't have to allow him to attend there he could be referred back to his districted school.

That's really scary. It seems like attending that school should be an earned right and threatening students should revoke that right, no?

robinsmommy
01-24-2018, 12:46 PM

For me, an IEP only goes so far. And this would be beyond it. If kids with IEP’s make their peers’ lives feel threatened at school, that is grossly unfair. Dd2 had a kid in her class who, as a first grader, threatened to kill/stab multiple other students, made sexual comments to them, urinated on the playground during recess, would have screaming fits in the class- and much more. The Admin’s hands were supposedly tied. I had issues with that, as did most of the parents in that class. What is fair to everyone in a situation like that? I doubt the kid with the IEP was getting his needs met in that class, either.

Globetrotter
01-24-2018, 12:51 PM
JBaxter, how absolutely frightening 😨 kudos to you and ds for doing the right thing, though I hope they investigated carefully to ensure there’s nothing behind these threats. So scary...
That child sounds very disturbed. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are some serious Underlying issues..

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2018, 01:00 PM

Does your school have metal detectors? Ours does. I am grateful for them, personally. I know they aren't really that helpful though as it's super easy to access the building after hours for sports, clubs,...and the metal detectors aren't on then. Anyone could store something for future use.
There was a crime committed last week before school and the suspect may have gone to school. They went into lockdown. I was surprised that ds1 (high school) said they never have drills for it. My youngest does. I assumed it was something they just kept on doing, like fire drills. I suppose they assume the older kids know what to do now for those lockdowns (which is a sad state of the world).

JBaxter
01-24-2018, 01:30 PM
Does your school have metal detectors? Ours does. I am grateful for them, personally. I know they aren't really that helpful though as it's super easy to access the building after hours for sports, clubs,...and the metal detectors aren't on then. Anyone could store something for future use.
There was a crime committed last week before school and the suspect may have gone to school. They went into lockdown. I was surprised that ds1 (high school) said they never have drills for it. My youngest does. I assumed it was something they just kept on doing, like fire drills. I suppose they assume the older kids know what to do now for those lockdowns (which is a sad state of the world).
No they don't Its a pretty big open campus kids go from building to building for different classes ( 2-12 school) They recently fenced the whole campus but there are 2 start times ( high school and the rest) a couple entrances . The detectives deemed it a non credible threat but still the little punk MADE the treat.

Kindra178
01-24-2018, 01:50 PM
For me, an IEP only goes so far. And this would be beyond it. If kids with IEP’s make their peers’ lives feel threatened at school, that is grossly unfair. Dd2 had a kid in her class who, as a first grader, threatened to kill/stab multiple other students, made sexual comments to them, urinated on the playground during recess, would have screaming fits in the class- and much more. The Admin’s hands were supposedly tied. I had issues with that, as did most of the parents in that class. What is fair to everyone in a situation like that? I doubt the kid with the IEP was getting his needs met in that class, either.

What are you going to do? Expel a 6 year old?

JBAx, super scary. I'm sorry your family is dealing with this.

jennilynn
01-24-2018, 02:26 PM
The media intentionally do not cover suicides except in rare circumstances because of research showing such coverage encourages copycats. So if many of those shootings are suicides that would explain why they weren't covered. It's not an attempt to hide news from the public, but rather an attempt to save kids' lives. (I'm a news reporter so I would know.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robinsmommy
01-24-2018, 06:26 PM
What are you going to do? Expel a 6 year old?

JBAx, super scary. I'm sorry your family is dealing with this.

I would hope that any kid with that many issues at the age of 6 would get into a program that gets them the help they so badly need. I don't think that a child with issues that severe being in a regular class does right by anyone - the teacher, the classmates, or the child in question. This was not a matter of a kid who'd seen a few too many R-rated movies and/or had temper tantrums - kids at school were really genuinely worried he would try to carry out his threats, as were many of the parents.