PDA

View Full Version : help me tweak my baby's routine!

petesgirl
01-25-2018, 01:27 PM
I feel like my 8-month old is on the verge of needing some schedule changes and I need another set of eyes (anybody with a similar aged baby want to share their daily schedule?)-DH isn't helpful at all when I try to discuss this.
So, here is where we are at:

7:00ish--wake up
7:30-bottle (about 7 oz)
8:30-take DS to school
9-9:30--first nap: lasts about 1.5 hrs, til 11ish
11:30-bottle (about 6.5 oz)
1:30-nap, about an hour
2:30-bottle (6.5 oz)
3:00-pick DS up at school
5:30- bottle (6.5 oz)
6:00- 45 min nap
8:00-bottle (7 oz)
8:30-9:00--Asleep (typically sleeps all night! yay!)

Ok, so here are the problems. That last nap/bedtime--I know he should be getting to bed earlier and if we could manage that we could probably drop the last nap. I am a little nervous about changing anything though because he sleeps all night and I don't want to ruin that!! The problem with moving up his bedtime though, is getting that last bottle in. I don't think he will take his bottles any closer together than 3 hrs and he isn't drinking enough in other bottles to make up for dropping a bottle. Solids are hit or miss-we don't do them 3x a day, but he does get some everyday. However--the last two weeks he has been a total stinker about finishing bottles. He will stop after about 4 oz and it is a total fight to get him to finish! The other problem is that I think his afternoon nap needs to be later (he does fall asleep pretty easily at 1:30 but then he only sleeps an hour and then he can't last until his 8:00 bottle without another little nap) but we have to be gone from 3-3:30 on weekdays to pick up DS from school. That's about when he should be napping, I think. Car-pooling isn't an option right now, as the 2 other families in our neighborhood that attended the same school recently moved.

So, here is what I'm contemplating: 4 bottles a day (maybe if we drop the 5th bottle he will drink more at each bottle?) so that his last bottle is around 6:30-7 and he can get to bed earlier. Be more consistent with solids 3 times a day so that will make up for some lost calories from dropping a bottle as well. I don't know what to do about that afternoon nap! I could try to keep him up until 3:30 when we get home from pickup but then is he sleeps for 2 hrs will he be ready for an earlier bedtime? And I'm nervous he will fall asleep in the car and end up only getting a short catnap. Maybe I should just leave it at 1:30.

Sigh, I'm awful at figuring this out, even after 3 kids!

Philly Mom
01-25-2018, 01:49 PM
That seems like a lot of formula and it sounds like he isn't even hungry for all of it. Even my formula baby only had at most 30 oz a day but normally closer to 24. I would skip the last bottle and last nap. I would aim for a 7pm bedtime and move the 5:30 bottle until 6ish.

petesgirl
01-25-2018, 01:56 PM
That seems like a lot of formula and it sounds like he isn't even hungry for all of it. Even my formula baby only had at most 30 oz a day but normally closer to 24. I would skip the last bottle and last nap. I would aim for a 7pm bedtime and move the 5:30 bottle until 6ish.

Awesome, thanks! My babies are always slightly below average on weight and it totally stresses me out!! My experience with my daughter doesn't help either-we thought she was getting enough and she wasn't so I know I tend towards overfeeding. It's good to know what other babies are doing, that helps me feel better.

mmsmom
01-25-2018, 02:36 PM

I agree, drop the 3rd nap and move bedtime to 7:00. I’d also try the first nap closer to 9:00 so his afternoon nap can be 1:00-3:00. Bedtime may need to be closer to 6:30 if he seems tired. FYI, my kids schedule (give or take 30 minutes) around that age was:

7:00 wake & bottle
7:30 solid bfast
9:00-10:00 nap
10:00 bottle
12:00 solid lunch
1:00- 3:30 bottle & nap
3:30 bottle
5:30 solid dinner
6:30 bottle
7:00 bed

ellies mom
01-25-2018, 02:38 PM
Are you trying to put him to bed earlier because you think he should go to bed earlier or because there is an actual problem? If he is happy in the evening, going to sleep easily and sleeping through the night, why change anything? He may just be a night owl. My kids did much better with a later bedtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
01-25-2018, 02:50 PM
I agree, drop the 3rd nap and move bedtime to 7:00. I’d also try the first nap closer to 9:00 so his afternoon nap can be 1:00-3:00. Bedtime may need to be closer to 6:30 if he seems tired. FYI, my kids schedule (give or take 30 minutes) around that age was:

7:00 wake & bottle
7:30 solid bfast
9:00-10:00 nap
10:00 bottle
12:00 solid lunch
1:00- 3:30 bottle & nap
3:30 bottle
5:30 solid dinner
6:30 bottle
7:00 bed

That’s how both DS were like around that age too by an hour up. Ie their first nap was usually around 10, and bedtime was 730. Ds1 was slightly different in that he was breastfed till 9 months, but same output though. DS2 is more like pp above. I recall around 20 oz of formula too, since DS2 ate his solid meals at least 2x a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

melrose7
01-25-2018, 03:15 PM
Are you trying to put him to bed earlier because you think he should go to bed earlier or because there is an actual problem? If he is happy in the evening, going to sleep easily and sleeping through the night, why change anything? He may just be a night owl. My kids did much better with a later bedtime.

I agree with this. If he's sleeping through the night and overall happy I wouldn't change anything. All my kids were still taking 3 naps at 1 yr of age (or close to) because they would take that nap at 6:00 and stay up til 9ish. That's what worked in our family.
I run an in home daycare and the youngest I have now is 1 yr old (turns 1 next week) and sometimes still takes 3 naps at least on the days he's here late (once a week til 6).

I also wouldn't stress too much about the food. If he's interested he'll eat it.

petesgirl
01-25-2018, 03:51 PM
I think I'm trying to change it because it is super hard to get him down for that 3rd nap(its right in the middle of homework, dinner, and DS1 is home and the baby has a harder time falling asleep in general when he knows his brother is around) but if he skips the 3rd nap he is totally cranky and falls asleep after an ounce or two of his bedtime bottle. He still sleeps fine on those nights though.

HannaAddict
01-26-2018, 10:18 PM
He’s sleeping all night, don’t change it. I wouldn’t be as worried about the “schedule “ and since he’s eating and sleeping through the night, don’t mess up the end of day. I exclusively breast fed so no idea how many ounces but life happens and sometimes they sleep in the car, sometimes they don’t. We had a general idea of when my kids napped but nothing mapped out and if mine had slept all night after going down at a reasonable 9 pm, I would have done the happy dance!