PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom deodorizer and advice

hillview
01-26-2018, 10:42 PM
We have a babysitter every day after school. She gets DS2 and after letting him play in the playground she comes home and uses our bathroom (I work from home often). Every day after using the bathroom she sprays something to cover a smell. The spray smell makes me crazy and it’s in our central bathroom (laundry room shares this space) and it’s just off the kitchen.

Can you please suggest something. I could
-put out some other spray (what??)
- suggest she uses a more private room (the room she uses is also often a disaster) there is a bathroom that’s more clean and private
- leave out matches?

help?

kali
01-27-2018, 06:10 AM
That's a tough one. Leaving out your own spray/matches is a pretty subtle hint, but being more direct might embarrass her. If you don't recognize the scent she probably has her own Poo-pouri or something similar, suggesting she is already self-conscious.

Could you just lock the bathroom and if she asks, frame it as something to do with the room itself? Like the room is a mess and you'd rather not have guests in there? And maybe leave the spray and matches in the other bathroom, haha.

mmsmom
01-27-2018, 08:56 AM
The Poopouri really works. You have to spray it into the water though. I don’t know that she would get that by leaving it out but there is little lingering smell since it gets flushed.

Neatfreak
01-27-2018, 09:33 AM
Put an "out of order" sign on the door and redirect her to another washroom?

HannaAddict
01-28-2018, 03:48 AM
I see no easy or good way of addressing it unless say you would like her to use a different bathroom entirely. And that is awkward too if the one she is using is the main house bath or powder room. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie
01-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Could you put in a diffuser?

123LuckyMom
01-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Since I’m very sensitive to scent, I would have to say something. When I need a deodorizer, I use unscented Fabreeze. It does have a very, very light scent, but you won’t smell it outside of the bathroom the way you would something truly scented, and it will dissipate quickly. Get a bottle and put it in full view. Then tell the babysitter you’re sensitive to scent, and if she’d like to spray something in the bathroom, would she please use the unscented Fabreeze you already have in there. Let her know it’s what your family prefers to use (to normalize the idea of needing to use a spray at all and diffusing the awkwardness of her being the source of the problem, as it were.)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JElaineB
01-29-2018, 02:12 AM
We have a can of Citrus Magic in all of our bathrooms. DH is very sensitive to almost any fragrance and immediately gets a headache from almost any artificial scent. This is a very natural citrus scent and it doesn't bother either of us. It works well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYVP36I/ref=asc_df_B00FHXDYQ25352221/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00FHXDYQ2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198085753806&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8038911628193350175&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018505&hvtargid=pla-348917823816&th=1&psc=1

Kindra178
01-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Before having a conversation, try the fresh wave crystal air freshener. It’s a tub that sits right on the floor. If that doesn’t work, maybe have the convo that lucky suggested. But, make sure you have explored alternative air fresheners so you have a suggestion.

BunnyBee
01-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Is she spraying something she brings with her? Is it to cover poop smell or possibly smoke or vape?

If she’s spraying your product, replace it with something you can tolerate. Febreze Gain smell gives me migraines. I either make my own spray with vodka and essential oils or use OdoBan. It’s not aerosol and just smells clean. Super cheap too. You can DIY “poopourri” as well with eucalyptus oil. You can either put a few drops in the toilet water before you flush or mix with vodka for a spray.

RiverRat
01-29-2018, 10:48 AM
The VIPoo, I forget the brand name that your spray in the toilet works so well! Just tell her you have a new air freshener and that you spray it in the toilet. You could even phrase it in a way that you want her to know how it works so “the kids don’t waste it or use it wrong”. That would take the focus off her but still giver her the knowledge on how it works.

It is amazing stuff. I travel with it and I can’t believe how it covers the smell and leaves no scent behind. I’m super sensitive to smells.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y2BH5XK/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1517236860&sr=8-5&keywords=vipoo+toilet+spray&dpPl=1&dpID=51Qv6tJFG8L&ref=plSrch

hillview
01-29-2018, 10:57 AM
Is she spraying something she brings with her? Is it to cover poop smell or possibly smoke or vape?

If she’s spraying your product, replace it with something you can tolerate. Febreze Gain smell gives me migraines. I either make my own spray with vodka and essential oils or use OdoBan. It’s not aerosol and just smells clean. Super cheap too. You can DIY “poopourri” as well with eucalyptus oil. You can either put a few drops in the toilet water before you flush or mix with vodka for a spray.
She is spraying something she brings with her. I believe it is to cover bathroom/poop odor (nothing else). Thanks for the suggestions all!

BunnyBee
01-29-2018, 01:26 PM
She is spraying something she brings with her. I believe it is to cover bathroom/poop odor (nothing else). Thanks for the suggestions all!

I’ve never known anyone to bring along poop deodorizer spray. (I do know smokers and vapers who bring along cover up.) If it is poop, and she’s worried about it enough to bring her own spray, that’s going to be a very sensitive subject.

mikala
01-29-2018, 03:38 PM
I was wondering if it might be covering up something other than bathroom smells too.

I'd start by leaving a can of something tolerable right next to the toilet and would see if she switched to that, if not would have a conversation like one above. Awkward for sure but your bathroom shouldn't give you migraines.

rlu
01-29-2018, 04:29 PM
I’ve never known anyone to bring along poop deodorizer spray. (I do know smokers and vapers who bring along cover up.) If it is poop, and she’s worried about it enough to bring her own spray, that’s going to be a very sensitive subject.

Some surgeries have unpleasant side-effects a lit match won't hide. I agree with others who suggest putting out a preferred deodorizer and see if she'll use that (and if it will work). Open window and closed door may be a option.