PDA

View Full Version : Someone hit my parked car - how to handle?

jgenie
01-28-2018, 11:12 PM
Someone hit my parked car. They were nice enough to leave a note for me to contact them. The body shop has given me a range but can’t commit to a final price until they take the panel off and determine if any circuitry was damaged. The person that hit me wants to pay out of pocket directly to the body shop. Any tips on how to handle or what to avoid? TIA

Update: I took my car to the body shop the dealership uses and they gave me a written estimate for double what was originally quoted by the same shop. The other driver decided to go through insurance because of that estimate. Their insurance company came out to look at my car and they were able to pop out the biggest damage by hand. I still need to have the car checked by the body shop to make sure the cameras under the bumper weren’t damaged. I feel awful that now I really just have a scratch. If I had known the damage could be fixed by hand I would never have had them go through their insurance. I feel awful!! I can skip the rental car but will this still bump up their insurance? Any insurance people on the board? TIA

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2018, 11:18 PM
My neighbor hit my car shortly after we moved in and wanted to handle it without insurance. I got an estimate and they agreed. I didn’t need a rental car but I’d have asked them to pay if it was necessary.
I’m sure others will say not to handle directly and use insurance but I’d be willing to work with them. You can escalate if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
01-29-2018, 08:04 AM
I'd ask the car body place if they have any tips as I'm guessing this is common. Something similar happened to me and the other driver wanted to self pay until the estimate came back over $1k so we went through his insurance.

Whatever you decide I'd keep the note, notes on any communications with the other driver, pics of the car damage, etc.

belovedgandp
01-29-2018, 09:24 AM
I'd ask the body shop. Even the most minor accidents add up quickly, so the other driver may have sticker shop pretty fast.

JBaxter
01-29-2018, 09:43 AM
I'd also get 2 quotes

bisous
01-29-2018, 09:52 AM
Honestly this would make me nervous. I would not want to do this without involving insurance just because the “not being able to give you a quote thing” seems potentially problematic and I think to have protection from your insurance company you need to report it.

For perspective I hit a parked car last year. It was a tiny swipe at drop off that did no damage to my car at all. It ended up costing $1020 to fix. Because it was over $1000 it will double my insurance for two years and cost me more than $2000 in increased premium costs. This is to say, I’m sympathetic to the person who did the damage but I’m still skeptical that you’re adequately protected without involving the insurance company.

The only thing I can think of that would make me feel more comfortable is if the other party would agree to take the car to “your” auto body guy. I actually have one of those that I’ve known for years and I totally trust.

TwinFoxes
01-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Body work is super expensive for even the slightest thing. The person may change their mind about paying out of pocket once they get a quote. I'm assuming they're insured but they're just worried about their rates or something?

minnie-zb
01-29-2018, 10:59 AM
What does your policy say with your insurance company? I know mine requires we report any accident, if we don't and they find out there was an accident they can cancel our insurance. I had this happen to a friend, similar situation to yours. Parking lot accident, the person who hit her wanted to pay out of pocket. I guess once they got home they changed their mind and reported it to their insurance company. The other insurance company then turned around and contacted my friend's insurance company. My friend's insurance company called and said you are in violation of your agreement, we are canceling your policy. At a minimum I would report it to your insurance company.

HannaAddict
01-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Honestly this would make me nervous. I would not want to do this without involving insurance just because the “not being able to give you a quote thing” seems potentially problematic and I think to have protection from your insurance company you need to report it.

For perspective I hit a parked car last year. It was a tiny swipe at drop off that did no damage to my car at all. It ended up costing $1020 to fix. Because it was over $1000 it will double my insurance for two years and cost me more than $2000 in increased premium costs. This is to say, I’m sympathetic to the person who did the damage but I’m still skeptical that you’re adequately protected without involving the insurance company.

The only thing I can think of that would make me feel more comfortable is if the other party would agree to take the car to “your” auto body guy. I actually have one of those that I’ve known for years and I totally trust.

Get quotes for new insurance. I’ve never heard or seen any increases in premiums like what you describe for a minor accident. That is just out of hand!

HannaAddict
01-29-2018, 01:02 PM
What does your policy say with your insurance company? I know mine requires we report any accident, if we don't and they find out there was an accident they can cancel our insurance. I had this happen to a friend, similar situation to yours. Parking lot accident, the person who hit her wanted to pay out of pocket. I guess once they got home they changed their mind and reported it to their insurance company. The other insurance company then turned around and contacted my friend's insurance company. My friend's insurance company called and said you are in violation of your agreement, we are canceling your policy. At a minimum I would report it to your insurance company.

They should report their company to the insurance commissioner. If they aren’t at fault and that is probably an invalid provision or misreading by the company. If you are clearly not at fault and in a parking lot incident, I wouldn’t even provide my insurance info.

bisous
01-29-2018, 01:07 PM
They should report their company to the insurance commissioner. If they aren’t at fault and that is probably an invalid provision or misreading by the company. If you are clearly not at fault and in a parking lot incident, I wouldn’t even provide my insurance info.

I could be wrong but I think it’s law in California that you have to tell your insurance. I’d definitely look that up OP.

bisous
01-29-2018, 01:09 PM
Get quotes for new insurance. I’ve never heard or seen any increases in premiums like what you describe for a minor accident. That is just out of hand!

I probably should... I love my insurance company. I was grandfathered into this policy from the one I had in college under my parents. It’s a company I can’t be with again as it’s for public service employees. I got it through my mom (public school teacher). When I’ve been pulled over in the past the cops always want to know if I have someone from law enforcement in my family!

TwinFoxes
01-29-2018, 01:52 PM
I could be wrong but I think it’s law in California that you have to tell your insurance. I’d definitely look that up OP.

No, that's not a law. In truth, you don't technically even have to have insurance, you have to provide evidence of financial responsibility (which involves tens of thousands of dollars in bonds, so really, most people just do insurance.)

https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/accident-guide/

bisous
01-29-2018, 02:28 PM
No, that's not a law. In truth, you don't technically even have to have insurance, you have to provide evidence of financial responsibility (which involves tens of thousands of dollars in bonds, so really, most people just do insurance.)

https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/accident-guide/

Ok. Read what you posted. It is the CHP that you have to report the accident to. I actually remembered (misremembered) that from my permit test!

HannaAddict
01-29-2018, 02:33 PM
Ok. Read what you posted. It is the CHP that you have to report the accident to. I actually remembered (misremembered) that from my permit test!

Someone would need to find the actual statute. The DMV site is helpful but not the law. Many police officers won’t even write up an accident if minor and it is rarely so black and white as requiring to report any minor accident.

HannaAddict
01-29-2018, 02:34 PM
I probably should... I love my insurance company. I was grandfathered into this policy from the one I had in college under my parents. It’s a company I can’t be with again as it’s for public service employees. I got it through my mom (public school teacher). When I’ve been pulled over in the past the cops always want to know if I have someone from law enforcement in my family!

You should at least get quotes. You don’t have to leave but even with a quote can call and negotiate your rate. I can’t imagine loving an insurance company that would totally jack up my rates for one minor accident with minimal damage and inexpensive claim. From a budgeting standpoint, it is good to occasionally see what the market is and if you can do better with a good company. If your rates doubled - I would definitely be looking around since you are looking for ways to cut costs.

bisous
01-29-2018, 02:46 PM
You should at least get quotes. You don’t have to leave but even with a quote can call and negotiate your rate. I can’t imagine loving an insurance company that would totally jack up my rates for one minor accident with minimal damage and inexpensive claim. From a budgeting standpoint, it is good to occasionally see what the market is and if you can do better with a good company. If your rates doubled - I would definitely be looking around since you are looking for ways to cut costs.

This is true and good counsel. We're in the process of renegotiating EVERYTHING but we'll put car insurance up at the top of the list!

AngB
01-29-2018, 10:51 PM
You may be surprised. We had USAA for years for both home and auto. Only veterans/military and their family members can join. Of course we thought we were getting the best rates. One year when they were going to be raising our homeowners' outrageously high for no reason, we got some other quotes and were shocked by how much money we saved and were overpaying. We saved around 2k by switching. Now we get quotes every couple years and sometimes switch. USAA has never gotten close in the last 10ish yrs to even the rates from places like Geico. :/ Hopefully you can save some money there.