PDA

View Full Version : Kindles at school? (1st/2nd graders)

♥ms.pacman♥
01-29-2018, 10:57 AM
we got kids Kindle readers for Christmas and they have been a huge hit. DD (1st grade) was already a very avid and advanced reader but DS (2nd grade) has been inspired to read more too. We take them nearly everywhere - to restaurants etc when we know we may have to wait and they work amazingly well not only for keeping the kids entertained but encouraging them to read more.

Now DS is asking to take his Kindle to school. He wants to use it in after care. In aftercare they do read at least 20 minutes (that is DS's hw every day). DS often forgets to bring a book in his bag and ends up reading something random in the classroom they are in (usually Kindy classroom, so very basic books, so not ideal).

I would be fine with it, though I am hesitant of them bringing electronics to school though at this young age. Any advice or thoughts? DS pointed out that we already let him wear his Fitbit Charge2 to school (ha) and why would this be different. I guess i think it's different bc it's not something he wears and has possibility to leave it behind or whatever. i just am wary of anything possibly causing a distraction.

JBaxter
01-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Its a big NO here. My 3rd grader cant remember his lunch box half the time. I never allowed any electronics until they got phones. in 5/6th grade

ahisma
01-29-2018, 11:06 AM
It depends on the kid. I wouldn't let them bring a Kindle Fire (tablet), but a straight up e-reader is different. My kids have them but for what ever reason still greatly prefer to read paper books. If they were using the Kindles as their primary reading source, I do think I'd consider it. I'd have to be prepared for them to lose it or break it (not that it would be likely, but it would seem more likely than if they stayed home).

♥ms.pacman♥
01-29-2018, 11:23 AM
It depends on the kid. I wouldn't let them bring a Kindle Fire (tablet), but a straight up e-reader is different. My kids have them but for what ever reason still greatly prefer to read paper books. If they were using the Kindles as their primary reading source, I do think I'd consider it. I'd have to be prepared for them to lose it or break it (not that it would be likely, but it would seem more likely than if they stayed home).

thanks, this is good point. They have the regular black-and-white Kindle e-readers (we chose those for a reason, LOL, we did not want them to be able to use apps or browse online). And they do read Kindle as main reading source, at least DS does. He is constantly reading it and seems to be consuming books faster than we can supply them. He wasn't much of an avid reader before but now it has really motivated him.

I finally got a Kindle for myself for Christmas, and now i think i understand what the appeal is. It is far easier for me to read on it and i feel like i can read much faster on it. i'm also motivated by the percentage read it says on the bottom (lol) and seeing it move along. for adults it's also nice t have the bigger text (though i'm sure this is non-issue for most kids..my DS reads it with text so small it is ridiculous). Though the other big thing is that it easily fits into my purse and thus with it i have access to many books at once...i think this is probably the biggest draw for my DC..they frequently finish books pretty fast and then while we're out and about can go from one book to another without having to schlep a whole library.

and yeah, them losing it is what i'm afraid of, or naively giving it to a classmate to "borrow" it, etc. my DS is pretty responsible though with stuff...though my DD can be easily forgetful. i am also concerned about it possibly causing distraction. i could say they're only allowed to use it in aftercare or something...

JBaxter
01-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Also check with their teachers. I asked because Jack reads on a kindle sometimes and it was the $25 deal black Friday 2 yrs ago but his teacher said she much prefers them not to have electronics at school. Too many have gotten damaged in book bags, dropped or stolen so they have a blanket policy of asking them not to be brought to school I was hoping she would confirm what I told Jack.

TwinFoxes
01-29-2018, 12:59 PM
I would label the Kindles, and let DCs take them for aftercare reading ONLY. I don't see much of a chance of it becoming a distraction during the school day honestly. It'd be pretty gutsy for a kid to get a kindle out of their backpack and start reading it when they're not supposed to. Since it's a regular Kindle, not a Fire, it's not like other kids will want to play games. Regular Kindles are pretty boring I think (I have one and love it, I just mean it doesn't have the draw of a Fire or iPad etc.)

rlu
01-29-2018, 02:21 PM
It was against elementary school rules to bring toys or electronics (i.e. the fitbit wouldn't be allowed). Obviously medical necessity would trump that last bit. I would definitely check your school handbook about bringing them to school even if you intend for them to be used only in afterschool. And check the afterschool rule book too.

eta: it's only 20 minutes or so of reading? I would put a stack of books out for them to pick from each day to take instead.

Tenasparkl
01-29-2018, 02:25 PM
My DD (4th grade) asked if she could bring her kindle paperwhite in to read with and it was OK with her teacher & aftercare guardians. She's very responsible and so far it's worked out OK.

squimp
01-29-2018, 02:54 PM
I would ask the teacher and aftercare folks. I can see it being fine here as long as it is in the backpack all day.

mikala
01-29-2018, 03:32 PM
I'd check with teachers but would be ok sending it if they're ok with it. My 8yo is an advanced reader and flies through books so we check out a ton of ebooks from the library vs checking out a lot of paper books. There's always a risk of losing or breaking an e-reader but we were having problems keeping track of all the library books and getting them returned on time so that's a risk I'm willing to take.

chlobo
01-29-2018, 03:35 PM
thanks, this is good point. They have the regular black-and-white Kindle e-readers (we chose those for a reason, LOL, we did not want them to be able to use apps or browse online). And they do read Kindle as main reading source, at least DS does. He is constantly reading it and seems to be consuming books faster than we can supply them. He wasn't much of an avid reader before but now it has really motivated him.

I finally got a Kindle for myself for Christmas, and now i think i understand what the appeal is. It is far easier for me to read on it and i feel like i can read much faster on it. i'm also motivated by the percentage read it says on the bottom (lol) and seeing it move along. for adults it's also nice t have the bigger text (though i'm sure this is non-issue for most kids..my DS reads it with text so small it is ridiculous). Though the other big thing is that it easily fits into my purse and thus with it i have access to many books at once...i think this is probably the biggest draw for my DC..they frequently finish books pretty fast and then while we're out and about can go from one book to another without having to schlep a whole library.

and yeah, them losing it is what i'm afraid of, or naively giving it to a classmate to "borrow" it, etc. my DS is pretty responsible though with stuff...though my DD can be easily forgetful. i am also concerned about it possibly causing distraction. i could say they're only allowed to use it in aftercare or something...

You said earlier that your son frequently forgets to bring a book for aftercare so I'd be concerned that he might leave the reader somewhere. There might be some kind of temptation to take it out at school during the day but I don't know how structured his school is.

MontrealMum
01-29-2018, 03:43 PM
I would worry quite a bit about it being either: broken (stepped on in aftercare), stolen, or left at school by mistake. If you're not worried about replacing it I think it'd be fine. Personally, I wouldn't want to take that chance and have forbidden my DS to take electronics to school even though they're allowed at aftercare on Fridays. Mind you, we had a year long issue last year with a kid stealing pens and books out of DS' backpack so I'm more wary than most.

I doubt it'd be a distraction during the school day. I think it'd be pretty obvious if he took it out of his bag and was using it during class - it'd be a one-time thing.

LBW
01-29-2018, 03:47 PM
Maybe try just putting a few books in his backpack that are only for aftercare? My youngest has 2-3 books in his backpack at all times. He pulls them out when he has downtime at school or on the bus.

If your DS forgets to put a paper book in his bag for aftercare, I'm worried that he'd forget his Kindle.

lmr1101
01-29-2018, 04:22 PM
Dd1 takes hers to school everyday. The teacher has no problem with it, however aftercare rules are different. They don't allow anyone to use them in aftercare.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2018, 04:30 PM
You said earlier that your son frequently forgets to bring a book for aftercare so I'd be concerned that he might leave the reader somewhere. There might be some kind of temptation to take it out at school during the day but I don't know how structured his school is.

Agree.

Losing a paperback is one thing...losing a kindle is another. Just stick with paper books. Pick them up at a Free Little Library or used store if you don’t want to invest much. Or offer to stock the classroom library (used sales at the library are great for that!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
01-29-2018, 07:06 PM
We started in the 5th grade with the kindle and iPod in aftercare. As much as I love my kids and want them to read I wouldn’t dream of sending them with expensive electronics until at least 5th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vonfirmath
01-30-2018, 01:22 PM
we got kids Kindle readers for Christmas and they have been a huge hit. DD (1st grade) was already a very avid and advanced reader but DS (2nd grade) has been inspired to read more too. We take them nearly everywhere - to restaurants etc when we know we may have to wait and they work amazingly well not only for keeping the kids entertained but encouraging them to read more.

Now DS is asking to take his Kindle to school. He wants to use it in after care. In aftercare they do read at least 20 minutes (that is DS's hw every day). DS often forgets to bring a book in his bag and ends up reading something random in the classroom they are in (usually Kindy classroom, so very basic books, so not ideal).

I would be fine with it, though I am hesitant of them bringing electronics to school though at this young age. Any advice or thoughts? DS pointed out that we already let him wear his Fitbit Charge2 to school (ha) and why would this be different. I guess i think it's different bc it's not something he wears and has possibility to leave it behind or whatever. i just am wary of anything possibly causing a distraction.

Ask the school what their policy is. Kindles (even e-ink, reading Kindles) are considered electronics at our aftercare and only allowed on Fridays and "Electronics days" (Half days at school, one day holidays, etc) -- Oh and only for 3rd grade and up.