PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Diaper Swaps for Selling - Where Do I Find These?

lizzywednesday
01-29-2018, 12:47 PM
I apologize if this belongs in the diapering section rather than the Lounge, but I hope the higher traffic here helps get responses.

I'm finally looking to unload my cloth diapers. DD is almost 8 and I'm not interested in revisiting the baby stage.

I have two dozen Green Mountain Diapers prefolds in toddler sizes (red edge & brown edge, IIRC), a handful of GMD fitteds (red and brown, I think), a bunch of bamboo fleece doublers, two wool pull-on covers, a couple of wool wrap covers, and a half dozen AIO's in reasonably good used condition. (I'll double-check the elastic on the AIO's and check the wool for holes/moths before I post them. Before storing, I washed everything in non-enzyme, unscented soap and washed the wool with Eucalan, which is supposed to prevent moths as well as re-lanolize the wool.)

I would like to sell them rather than donate/trade them and would prefer to manage it locally (Princeton, NJ area) than have to ship.

I don't belong to the babywearing group anymore (I left, quietly, several months ago) and they'd be my first stop for asking about this.

Help?

squimp
01-29-2018, 02:44 PM
I sold mine locally on CL. People were fighting over them, but I live in a hippie land so it was very easy to sell them. I go back more than 50% of what I paid, so it seemed pretty awesome. I don't know your particular dipes but the fleece-lined pocket diapers were super popular. Not sure about prefolds, those are less popular I think.

ETA - FB selling seems the most common these days. Is there a parenting page in your area?

boilermakermom
01-29-2018, 03:16 PM
I would try either craigslist or FB.

trales
01-29-2018, 04:31 PM
I had a great supply and tried every local FB page/ craigslist/ and could not sell them. I finally gave them away to a mom who I know wanted them and couldn't really afford them. look online and see what the market is.

calebsmama03
01-29-2018, 10:22 PM
The market for selling cloth isn't what it used to be, sadly. There's a website called Diaperswappers that I used a few years ago because mine were older (Elbee, etc - formerly super pricey but not well known now in the days of Bum Genius and such) and weren't moving on CL/FB even in my crunchy area. My friends with currently popular brands sell on CL or FB local groups.

twowhat?
01-29-2018, 11:01 PM
I would try FB too. I sold mine on CL and got back about 50% of what I paid but that was several years ago. My guess is that you need to list them for REALLY cheap - like the whole stash for <$50. I think the toddler sizes are going to be harder to sell (it'd be easier to sell a stash of newborn+ sizes to someone interested in trying out cloth diapering without committing the money required to buy everything new), so I wouldn't expect to make a lot off of them.

lizzywednesday
01-30-2018, 02:23 PM
I just want them gone and not in the landfill, you know? It's not about making money as long as they go to a local parent. I'm not driving all over the world for $35 or whatever I decide to price them at.

I wasn't interested in investing a lot of money & had experience with prefolds from when my siblings were babies, so that's what I bought. I hadn't planned to try re-selling them because I'd hoped we'd have another baby when DD was littler, but then I was laid off and it wasn't economically feasible (or responsible) at the time, especially while job-hunting.

And, well, I'll be 40 this year. With DD's heart, my age, and certain family history factors, not to mention my current state of health, having another baby is not in the cards. (DH is finally ready to discuss it, but that ship sailed when I lost my job.)