PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Trackers

boilermakermom
01-29-2018, 03:19 PM
I have a Fit Bit Charge HR that has finally bit the dust. The unit has broken apart right underneath the display. I need a fitness trackers that counts steps, and heart rate.

I was going to pick up the Fit Bit Charge 2, but I know there are several new ones on the market since I purchased my Charge HR.

Any recs on which one to buy or where to pick up for a good deal/sale?

Thanks!

candaceb
01-29-2018, 03:24 PM
I have had a Charge 2 since they first came out and really like the HR feature. The bands it came with got stinky and gross quickly so I replaced them with stainless steel knockoffs from Amazon (about $12).
Costco had a good deal in January - something like $99 with an extra band - but I don't know if that just ended because the new coupon book starts today. Kohl's has them and you can earn and use Kohl's Cash on them but not other discounts.

rlu
01-29-2018, 04:33 PM
My sister has the charge2 as well. She asked us to buy her a leather band for it for Xmas (not fitbit brand though, too pricey) which we got from amazon. She hasn't had it too long, but likes it so far.

zukeypur
01-29-2018, 05:00 PM
I just saw a thread on SD about the HR for $75. It’s on the front page.

LD92599
01-29-2018, 06:04 PM
I would first reach out to Fit Bit for replacement; they are really good about that!!!

DualvansMommy
01-29-2018, 06:37 PM
Mt Fitbit HR died on me 2 months ago and I got the Garmin vivo tracker, I like it better over Fitbit.

boilermakermom
01-30-2018, 04:00 PM
What do you like better about the Garmin Vivo? You have peaked my interest! I didn't even consider a Garmin.

smilequeen
01-30-2018, 04:21 PM
I still had a newer charge HR until Christmas and I loved it, especially with the leather band to look nicer. That said, if you have an iphone, the apple watch is so much better IME. I love my apple watch. I gave the charge to my son.

boilermakermom
01-30-2018, 04:45 PM
A friend suggested an Apple watch as well, but I can't justify the price. Honestly, I simply need the heart rate tracking, and steps.

DualvansMommy
01-30-2018, 05:26 PM
What do you like better about the Garmin Vivo? You have peaked my interest! I didn't even consider a Garmin.

it has better slimmer watch for me as ive very slim wrists and hands. I liked the interface better as well the Garmin connect which tally up your steps, HR, sleep rate, etc. Just the interface is nicer, imo for me. The price was bit cheaper too, but im sure you could find deals on various models of Fitbit though, so not the biggest consideration for me.

gatorsmom
01-30-2018, 09:18 PM
A friend suggested an Apple watch as well, but I can't justify the price. Honestly, I simply need the heart rate tracking, and steps.

Dh got an Apple Watch 3 last fall and I upgraded to an Apple Watch 3 last fall as well. I love mine. He, however, doesn’t love it. He agrees he can get something simpler and cheaper to track his heart rate and steps. He’s just not that interested in the other apps and possibilities.

If you do decide to try the Apple Watch, however there is so much you can do with it beyond fitness stuff. I love it for the temperature on my wrist, my to do list (don’t need to write things on my hand anymore), my steps go directly to MyFitnessPal calorie calculator, maps watch is a wonderful partner to maps in my phone, and I’m constantly pinging my phone from my watch because I lose it in the house all the time!

jenstring95
01-31-2018, 12:05 AM
If your Fitbit is less than a year old, definitely contact customer service. I have gotten two new ones that way. Most recently my Charge HR died the same way as yours when it was ~11 months old. I contacted customer service and they ended up sending me the Charge 2 as a replacement, for free. I like the design of the Charge 2 much more than the Charge HR since the bands can be replaced. Also, the time, date, and number of steps are on the same screen, which makes it much less frustrating for me. I did not need to show any proof of purchase or provide any serial numbers or mail my old unit back. I'm not sure if it's the honor system or they look when you started wearing it or what, but I found customer service to be excellent.

magnoliaparadise
01-31-2018, 02:51 AM
I have a friend who loves her TomTom. I don't know anything about it, but she raves about it. She says that she has had a couple of the fitness trackers like Fitbit and she thinks TomTom does a better job doing all sorts of sports (including swimming, I think?) instead of just walking/running. She also likes that she can shower in it. It looked a little clunky to me, but the last time I saw her was a year ago, so maybe they are sleeker now. She says that it always rates highly on the reviews, but I don't know of anyone else who has one.

boilermakermom
01-31-2018, 08:24 AM
Some reviews mention the face of the Charge 2 scratching easily and the light colored bands (lavender and rose gold) discoloring quickly. Any experience with either of these?

candaceb
01-31-2018, 09:32 AM
Some reviews mention the face of the Charge 2 scratching easily and the light colored bands (lavender and rose gold) discoloring quickly. Any experience with either of these?

I got these screen protectors after the face on mine scratched in the first week. I have had to replace it once so far and they come in a pack of 6 so it should be a lifetime supply...
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LA11N3K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had the blue silicone bands and they were discolored and stinky very quickly. I got stainless milanese bands from amazon and that has worked well.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZKN8XX/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I'm a fitbit junkie because I am totally motivated by all of my friends. I hate it when I sink down on the list for total # of steps and it gets me going. If it wasn't for the friends, I'd probably have a Garmin Vivofit).

ray7694
02-01-2018, 02:44 PM
gatorsmom what temp app do you use? Also I couldn’t pm u do to space

gatorsmom
02-01-2018, 11:30 PM
gatorsmom what temp app do you use? Also I couldn’t pm u do to space. Sorry, I just saw your pm. I cleared some space if you want to pm me.

i played around with several weather apps. I have my watch face set to modular and I wanted one of the little watch face links (aka complications) to be the current temperature. So I researched which weather apps offered apple watch complications. Not all of them do. I tried Dark Sky, Weather Underground, Weatherbug, Weatherlive, Accuweather, and the Weather Channel. I was looking for an app that would provide current temperature on my watch face and link to temp highs and lows for the week. The only one that will do that is Weatherbug. I had Weatherbug on my Applewatch 1 and it worked very well. But when I upgraded to Applewatch 3 it doesn’t work nearly as well. About half the time the current temp won’t display on my Applewatch 3 face. Which is why I decided to try the other apps. But they just can’t do what I want so I settled for the fairly dependable weatherbug.

I will say one complication i LOVE is the THINGS app. Not only does it display my to-do list on my watch face but it links to my list and I can check things off my list from my watch and don’t need to check them off my phone. Comes in handy when shopping or running errands.

theriviera
02-02-2018, 01:12 AM
I just use the apple weather app and it shows up on my watch face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk