PDA

View Full Version : Learning to knit

hillview
01-29-2018, 07:05 PM
What’s the best way to learn to knit?

Charlie
01-29-2018, 07:31 PM
Watch videos on knittinghelp.com or YouTube. I don’t think in-person classes are great unless it’s very small or 1 on 1.

KrisM
01-29-2018, 07:31 PM
I learned from a book called something like "Teach yourself to knit". I've had a couple of friends learned from https://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit.

I'm sure there must be a lot of You Tube videos too.

My older 2 kids took lessons at a yarn shop.

I think if I were learning now, I'd get a book and then watch the videos. I think having a book to refer to would be good.

ETA: This is the book I used. https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Knit-Leisure-Arts/dp/1574866370/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517276883&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=teach+yourself+toknit

PZMommy
01-29-2018, 08:11 PM
I took a class at a local yarn shop. That was long before YouTube existed. lol. Now I would just watch videos or get a book.

anonomom
01-29-2018, 08:20 PM
I had a book, probably purchased from AC Moore or Michael's, called Teach Yourself to Knit.

(crochet is easier)

hbridge
01-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Take a class, even a drop in class at the local yarn shop...

DC took private knitting lessons for awhile, she loves to knit!

Snow mom
01-29-2018, 09:10 PM
If you have a friend who can show you the knit and purl stitches it's easy to go from there with videos online. I do think having a knitting pal with basic skills is invaluable. You can probably just start with a book or video if you don't know anyone who can help you in person but it's so nice to have a resource to ask simple questions that are so often skimmed over because there is an assumed level of knowledge.

gobadgers
01-29-2018, 09:47 PM
I'd recommend a good book and YouTube to start, though I don't have a specific recommendation (I used an ancient pamphlet from my grandmother!). Finding a drop-in group at the library or in the community can really help with the parts that don't make sense. I've found that knitters love to give advice. Partly kidding, but I think helps to have some people IRL for help/encouragement.

ETA: and start a Ravelry.com account for inspiration!

nfceagles
01-29-2018, 10:09 PM
I watched some lessons on CreativeBug and had a subscription for a short while. That and YouTube. I like studioknitsf.com a lot too, but I didn't discover that until after I'd learned the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

belovedgandp
01-30-2018, 12:00 AM
I had a friend teach me the basics. We saw each other regularly enough I could follow up when I was just messing around and forgot the real basics - cast on, knit, purl, bind off.

Watching videos helped understand the more advanced stitches. I still look one up for a couple of joining techniques.

sunnyside
01-30-2018, 12:15 AM
I used this book. https://www.amazon.com/Stitch-n-Bitch-Knitters-Handbook/dp/0761128182

essnce629
01-30-2018, 03:23 AM
I used this book. https://www.amazon.com/Stitch-n-Bitch-Knitters-Handbook/dp/0761128182

I used this as well. I only got as far knitting a few tiny "blankets" for my DS's lovey at the time, but it definitely taught me how!

luvbeinmama
01-30-2018, 08:06 PM
LOL! see my message below.

Corie
01-30-2018, 08:15 PM
Once you learn how, I'll take a nice big blanket to cozy up on the couch. :)

luvbeinmama
01-30-2018, 08:16 PM
I already knew how to crochet when I taught myself to knit, and I used this book: https://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Answer-Book-2nd-Solutions-ebook/dp/B00KLNAIUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517356640&sr=8-1&keywords=knitting+answer

If you already work with yarn, I would highly recommend this book. If you don't, I would still get this book, but I would probably start with a beginner's book first. And YouTube is great for visual learning, but I would find someone who knits and learn from them. Even if you just go to an open knitting session at your local yarn store (if you have one in town), and get tips from others, that would help immensely. The books and YouTube can only show you so much. There is always some crucial tidbit that you need to get in person.

Melaine
01-30-2018, 08:37 PM
They sometimes have groups at the library. Do you crochet? It’s more fun IMO. Both are pretty easy to pick up.

pinkmomagain
01-30-2018, 10:35 PM
I tried to take a knitting class many years ago and I was frustrated to tears. I would get stuck and just sit there until the teacher finally came around to help me. A few years ago I picked up crocheting. Taught myself with youtube videos and a couple of books. Much better experience.

DualvansMommy
01-31-2018, 02:03 AM
I was required to take sewing or knitting when I was in HS and chose knitting. The most helpful thing for me was going to a fabric/yarn shop and take their basic beginner class to learn. I never stuck with it long term, as ultimately have had ZERO interest to do that. But I still remember the basic skill if I picked up it up now.