PDA

View Full Version : Starting a garden

hillview
01-29-2018, 07:06 PM
I live in New England and would like to have a nice garden this summer. We won’t really be traveling much. Is there a good place to start to learn about starting a vegetable garden?

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2018, 07:18 PM
Start looking for local classes. Garden clubs, community centers, nature centers, botanical gardens- all of those offer classes where I live. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icunurse
01-29-2018, 08:40 PM
I have raised beds and have really liked Square Foot Gardening. Even if you plant in the ground, it really helps you think through layout and companion plants.

robinsmommy
01-29-2018, 10:15 PM
Master Gardeners in your area are a great resource. Stick to things that your family loves to eat, are super fun to grow (like potatoes, which are fun to harvest, even if they are cheap), or are very expensive to buy/hard to find (like arugula/unusual greens like miner's lettuce).

Oh, and I vote for pole beans. Ours were super productive last year, grew up our aluminum "wrought iron" fence, and were easy - other than keeping them picked. Emerite, Fortex, Carminat were all great. If you can do a bean "tepee", the beans will hang down inside and be easier to spot/pick. The other favorite thing we grew were small, fast (30-35 day) Japanese turnips. Sweeter and less spicy that a radish. We all loved them.

Have the kids pick some things to plant.