PDA

View Full Version : What fun things can I do with my kids, with a broken leg?

ourbabygirl
01-29-2018, 11:40 PM
I'm 2.5 weeks from the accident, still on crutches (in walking boot, but can't put weight on it for a few more weeks or so), and getting cabin fever from being stuck at home when I'm used to going out with DD every day. Weather is very cold here, and the kids have had a little too much screen time lately :). I'm mostly looking for ideas of what I can do with my toddler that's fun. I'm not driving yet, though I probably could start since I haven't been on narcotics for a week. Luckily it's my left leg, so that helps.

We're going to check out a new library tomorrow. Trying to think of things we could do, places we could go where I don't need to be on my feet much and don't need to have to walk far on crutches. Or any new activities at home that wouldn't wear me out? DD is turning 3...

Thanks for your help! :wavey:

HannaAddict
01-30-2018, 12:20 AM
Do you have a knee cart? You can rent them, though we bought a nice one on Amazon when my husband had a break and sold it later on CL where it was wildly popular? It gives so much more mobility if break is on lower part of your leg. And my kids could ride on the front of the cart, thought not a suggested use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

California
01-30-2018, 12:34 AM
The first thing that came to my mind is searching for road trip games and activities. If they can be done sitting in a car, they can be done with a leg in a cast!

Play do
Aluminum foil sculptures
Silly games like Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders
I Spy
Kid songs that you and your DD can make arm movements too - Wheels on the Bus, Old McDonald, Ten Little Monkeys...

Simple crafts-
Making puppets out of old socks
Making butterflies from markers, coffee filters and pipe cleaners
Fingerprint art
(There are a ton of possibilities)

Other ideas:
Timing your kids: How many times can they jump in a minute, how fast can they run to the kitchen (or whatever) and back?
You could be in charge of the music for a freeze dance game, turn the music on and off and they freeze when its off
Chores- simple stuff like sweeping and dusting, that your big girl three year old can do since Mom is resting

A very simple thing to do outside is to do a very short Listening Walk, or a Watching Walk. You stay quiet and go very slowly, paying attention to either what you hear or what you see, and then compare notes when you get back home.

I wouldn't try to do too much. Just getting into a rhythm of doing an activity between screen time would be enough.

magnoliaparadise
01-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Honestly, when I broke my ankle and was told not to move much, I just watched a lot of movies with my kids and became the 'cool mom who watches everything'. Some of it was really fun. I would have rather been doing other things with my kids, but it did feel very decadent just watching TV and movies a lot with them.