PDA

View Full Version : Would you vaccinate a sick baby?

petesgirl
01-30-2018, 12:48 PM
I know this could easily turn into a debate, which isn't really what I'm looking for..I'm pretty much pro vaccination :).
I am unsure, however, about whether it's a good idea to vaccinate a baby who is currently sick. DS has his 9 month appointment on Thursday and should be getting his second dose of the flu shot. He also has a super nasty cold with a lot of mucus and congestion. No fever though. I don't know what his Dr will recommend doing but I remember a different Dr with DS1 telling us that immunizations work great if the child is sick because their immune system is already in overdrive.... But I don't know how I feel about that. Should I put off the shots or just go for it? Just curious what others would do/have done!

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2018, 01:00 PM
We always delayed when they were sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow mom
01-30-2018, 01:22 PM
We did vaccinations as scheduled when they had colds/runny noses. DD is a winter baby and it seemed her nose went from November to March so she always had something when her annual exam came around.

JBaxter
01-30-2018, 02:03 PM
We selectively vaccinate but no I would wait until they were over their illnesses 2 weeks isn’t going to make a difference. Immunity takes a while to build

jgenie
01-30-2018, 02:08 PM
I’m provax and I would wait until he’s feeling better.

trcy
01-30-2018, 02:12 PM
I am pro vaccine and I would wait. Our pediatrician won’t vax a sick kid. Hopefully he’s better quickly. And wow, I cannot believe he’s 9 months already, seems like you just had him.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

georgiegirl
01-30-2018, 02:12 PM
I’m pretty sure our office won’t do vaccinations for sick kids. Mild cold is fine, but a bad cold with coughing and lots of snot, no way. It’s not recommended. Wait another week then do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PZMommy
01-30-2018, 02:45 PM
I’m pro vax, and I would wait if they are truly sick. If they just have a runny nose, I’d go ahead. My pedi won’t vax if they have a fever.

Kindra178
01-30-2018, 03:11 PM
Wait.

petesgirl
01-30-2018, 03:12 PM
I am pro vaccine and I would wait. Our pediatrician won’t vax a sick kid. Hopefully he’s better quickly. And wow, I cannot believe he’s 9 months already, seems like you just had him.

I know!! Time seems to going by so fast with this little guy!

mikala
01-30-2018, 03:12 PM
I’m pretty sure our office won’t do vaccinations for sick kids. Mild cold is fine, but a bad cold with coughing and lots of snot, no way. It’s not recommended. Wait another week then do it.

I agree with this. I'm fine with vaccines with mild colds but I worry about making them more miserable when they're already sick. They also get fevers from some vaccinations and I'd be worried that I wouldn't know whether to attribute a post-vaccination fever to the vax or a worsening of existing illness like a secondary infection.

petesgirl
01-30-2018, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all the input! I'm going to reschedule for 2-3 weeks down the road.

Percycat
01-30-2018, 03:14 PM
I would call the Dr.'s nurse line and see what they recommend. If they recommend waiting, I would reschedule the 9month visit a week so you can get the shot during your apt. when he feels better --- which I hope is soon!

HannaAddict
01-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Call the doctor and see what they say. If just runny nose and feels good (nursing, eating and playing) and doctor’s office agrees, I would vaccinate since this is such an awful flu season so stakes are higher. If they want to wait or he feels worse than described, I’d wait a week as with a cold that should be more than enough. I would not chance waiting three weeks, they could be over this cold and get a new one while waiting. Hope he feels better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petesgirl
01-30-2018, 11:40 PM
Well, he has bronchiolitis :/ I ended up taking him today because his breathing sounded a little more raspy. His oxygen was still at 99% and no fever but they sent me home with an albuterol nebulizer. Please, please pray that he doesn't end up needing to be admitted to the hospital. Although, on the other hand, I hate it when they send you home with a list of things you need to watch for that would necessitate a 911 call. I have a feeling I won't be sleeping a lot for the next week.

georgiegirl
01-31-2018, 12:02 AM
Well, he has bronchiolitis :/ I ended up taking him today because his breathing sounded a little more raspy. His oxygen was still at 99% and no fever but they sent me home with an albuterol nebulizer. Please, please pray that he doesn't end up needing to be admitted to the hospital. Although, on the other hand, I hate it when they send you home with a list of things you need to watch for that would necessitate a 911 call. I have a feeling I won't be sleeping a lot for the next week.

Poor baby! I hope he responds well to the nebulizer. And I hope you are able to get some rest too. It’s so hard when your kids are sick with breathing issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
01-31-2018, 01:51 AM
Here's to hoping your DS2 will recover quickly! being sick this young sucks...hang in there, momma.

Momit
01-31-2018, 08:14 AM
Hope he feels better soon!

klwa
01-31-2018, 08:46 AM
Never mind. Saw the update. Hope he gets better soon!

boilermakermom
01-31-2018, 11:09 AM
Poor kiddo!!! I hope he gets some relief and starts feeling better soon!!! Hugs!!!!

trcy
01-31-2018, 02:08 PM

Poor baby! DS gets like that every time he gets a cold. He is now on a daily steroid inhaler and albuterol any time he gets a cold. Doc is hoping he will outgrow it. Hopefully this is a one time thing for your little guy.