PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About Disney WORLD in July (Update in #37)

lizzywednesday
01-31-2018, 06:50 PM
We are in the early planning stages for a Disney WORLD vacation sometime this summer.

I'm not thrilled with the timing, but we're effectively going with extended family to celebrate my in-laws' 50th anniversary and my niece's 16th birthday.

I don't do well with heat and humidity is an asthma attack waiting to happen, but I'll be the one schlepping all over the park(s) with DD to ride non-looping roller coasters and do whatever. I'm already looking at sun hats for DD and me; we have a great selection of string backpacks (not my first choice for schlepping heavy stuff, but good enough for my wallet and cell phone.)

What do I need to know about managing my discomfort with heat? Tips on dressing, sunscreen, schlepping bags, bag lockers/locker rentals, etc., are appreciated.

I'm already planning to get new sneakers, but will probably need more shorts or skorts. (I may absolutely hate my legs, but I hate capri pants more.) What else do I need to start asking/pre-shopping for?

mikala
01-31-2018, 07:12 PM
Take moleskin or blister bandaids if your feet sweat a lot and consider carrying a pair of dry socks. I found Teva Tirra sandals more comfortable than sneakers in the heat.

I'd plan to get into the park at rope drop and would try to hit shaded/air conditioned attractions in the afternoon or head back to the hotel to rest and cool down, especially if you're coming back forfireworks in the evening.

You might try a cooling towel but I found them to be more trouble than they're worth.

Have fun! Your DD is at a great age where there's still a lot of magic and she's old enough to really enjoy the rides and shows.

abh5e8
01-31-2018, 07:17 PM
I'm gearing up for a similar trip to WDW with extended family in May. Do you exercise? If not, even just starting with daily walks of 20 mins and Inc from there will REALLY help. Take your walks in the heat, if possible, so your body can acclimate. Supportive shoes are a must, but wear them a few weeks before the trip to break them in. While at the parks, hydrate hydrate hydrate. Id look at getting a small but supportive backpack to carry water and essentials.

Im planning to use the LLBean stowaway day pack.

https://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc=&skCatId=86674&csp=a#86674

Sun hat, sun glasses, light weight clothing and sunscreen of course.

We are also planning to get to the park early, stay through lunch and then head back to the hotel for rest and pool time in the afternoon. We will meet up with family for dinner or parks later on.

abh5e8
01-31-2018, 07:22 PM
Take moleskin or blister bandaids if your feet sweat a lot and consider carrying a pair of dry socks. I found Teva Tirra sandals more comfortable than sneakers in the heat.

Good idea on the sandals. I also find them more comfortable in the heat. I like to get my feet wet in the splash parks and that tends to help me stay cool.

bisous
01-31-2018, 08:24 PM
Definitely wear sandals! I've had great luck with Merrell sandals and with Fit Flops. They are supportive enough for a very full day at the parks. What about a cute skirt or skort of some kind? (I also don't like my legs--I'm just too pale!) I prepare by using self-tanner and finding the perfect length shorts or skirt. It really is much more comfortable.

lizzywednesday
01-31-2018, 08:39 PM
I'm gearing up for a similar trip to WDW with extended family in May. Do you exercise? If not, even just starting with daily walks of 20 mins and Inc from there will REALLY help. Take your walks in the heat, if possible, so your body can acclimate. Supportive shoes are a must, but wear them a few weeks before the trip to break them in. While at the parks, hydrate hydrate hydrate.....

I'm kind of a lazy-girl exerciser right now - walking DD to/from the bus stop (less than a mile per day), stairs (my house is 3 levels), and parking at the rear of the parking lot to get extra steps in when out shopping - but I'm not in anything resembling "good shape."

HOWEVER, I can do 10-11 miles in the cold, no problem. It's really the heat I'm worried about - my asthma acts up and I feel like I weigh 10,000 lbs in the heat. (And don't get me started on humidity. I hate humidity.)

It won't get warm here for another couple of months.

lizzywednesday
01-31-2018, 08:41 PM

I'd plan to get into the park at rope drop and would try to hit shaded/air conditioned attractions in the afternoon or head back to the hotel to rest and cool down, especially if you're coming back forfireworks in the evening.

You might try a cooling towel but I found them to be more trouble than they're worth.

Have fun! Your DD is at a great age where there's still a lot of magic and she's old enough to really enjoy the rides and shows.

I haven't found a good, supportive, and non-blistery sandal that likes my foot for multi-day mileage. Yet.

After having done multi-day charity walks (Avon39), I find that I'm better off in sneakers with wicking socks.

Cooling towels are a pain in the keister.

lizzywednesday
01-31-2018, 08:46 PM
Definitely wear sandals! I've had great luck with Merrell sandals and with Fit Flops. They are supportive enough for a very full day at the parks. What about a cute skirt or skort of some kind? (I also don't like my legs--I'm just too pale!) I prepare by using self-tanner and finding the perfect length shorts or skirt. It really is much more comfortable.

I can't wear either of those brands - they don't come in wide. (Also, I hate anything between my toes. HATE. I wear flip-flops for the shower at the beach only.)

Finding shorts, skorts, or skirts that are the perfect length is going to take a while - I have long, heavy legs, with heavy hips & thighs, so it's HARD finding something that doesn't make me feel like 10lbs of dirt in 5lb bag, and it's why I'm starting now.

DualvansMommy
01-31-2018, 09:20 PM
I went to Disney end of May into early June 4 years ago with DS1 celebrating his 3rd bday and 4 months old DS2.

I’m like you with heat and humidity. What saved me is those little fans, tons of water and Athelea skort. Try them on, I was heavier then with thighs I hated and shorts is a big no no for me. But those skorts were so forgiving on me and lightweight!

I’m not a sneaker girl during the summer at all. Only for running. But walking about in high heat and humidity, I need flip flops or scandals. I alternate between the sketchers fit flops which were surprisely so supportive and the ortho Vonic scandals. Literally saved my feet that week from miles of walking.

What we did; show up for rope rope, do our rides and take frequent breaks. I was feeding DS2 so those nursing stations with shades worked for me, we usually head back to on site resort around 1 for lunch by the pool & a dip then nap in room. By 5 we usually go to downtown Disney, Epcot (walking distance for us from our hotel) get dinner and head back by 8-830. That break from hottest part of day really did the trick for our family and elderly in laws too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jgenie
01-31-2018, 09:56 PM
I'm gearing up for a similar trip to WDW with extended family in May. Do you exercise? If not, even just starting with daily walks of 20 mins and Inc from there will REALLY help. Take your walks in the heat, if possible, so your body can acclimate. Supportive shoes are a must, but wear them a few weeks before the trip to break them in. While at the parks, hydrate hydrate hydrate. Id look at getting a small but supportive backpack to carry water and essentials.

Im planning to use the LLBean stowaway day pack.

https://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc=&skCatId=86674&csp=a#86674

Sun hat, sun glasses, light weight clothing and sunscreen of course.

We are also planning to get to the park early, stay through lunch and then head back to the hotel for rest and pool time in the afternoon. We will meet up with family for dinner or parks later on.

I use this pack for theme parks and it works great!

lizzywednesday
02-01-2018, 10:04 AM

I’m like you with heat and humidity. What saved me is those little fans, tons of water and Athelea skort. Try them on, I was heavier then with thighs I hated and shorts is a big no no for me. But those skorts were so forgiving on me and lightweight!

I’m not a sneaker girl during the summer at all. Only for running. But walking about in high heat and humidity, I need flip flops or scandals. I alternate between the sketchers fit flops which were surprisely so supportive and the ortho Vonic scandals. Literally saved my feet that week from miles of walking.

I had Athleta skorts for forever. I love them, but DH b!tches about them. (I think he should shut it.)

Skechers don't run wide enough for my foot.

I have a pair of Vionic flip-flops that I wore a total of once for a few miles on the boardwalk when we were down the shore a couple years ago.

They gave me blisters across the top of my foot and on my little toe. I know they get a lot of love here, but they just don't work for me.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Please don’t dig in regarding clothes. Like we have said before, just try a bunch on. Buy from Nordstrom or REI so if they suck then you can return. All websites will let you filter by width. There are a million wide sandals in the world. Sandals are 100% the way to go on a muggy summer day. You’ll want multiple pairs of shoes in your suitcase too. If one starts to irritate spots, odds are another pair. Take your beloved sneakers but listen to us wise ladies and take sandals too. :)
If you can stay onsite for ease of daytime breaks, it’s the way to go. Otherwise, shows, eat, shop mid-day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBW
02-01-2018, 11:32 AM
No advice on clothes, etc, but I sympathize with the heat/humidity and its effects on asthma. We visit relatives in Georgia a couple of times a year, and it's brutal on my lungs in the summer.

So, my recommendation would be talking to your pulmonologist ahead of the trip and maybe revisiting your prescriptions. If you aren't taking a daily maintenance med, consider it. I've used Advair in the past (pricey) and am now on Breo (amazing and cheap!). When I take these inhalers daily I have little need for my rescue inhaler, even in hot & humid weather.

jgenie
02-01-2018, 11:54 AM
I would do your best to tune your DH out. It’s not about him. It’s about you feeling comfortable and liking how you look. If he can’t be supportive, that’s on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

abh5e8
02-01-2018, 01:23 PM
I'm just curious... What did your dh not like about the skorts? And what did/does he like better?

TwinFoxes
02-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Fit-flops have several styles that are not thong sandals...they don't have to go between your toes.

I would never take a string backpack to walk around all day. A small cross body bag, or even a regular backpack are much more comfortable. I won't bother to suggest one, it's probably better if you just do a search for the features you want.

I don't mind heat. I've been to WDW in July. It was pretty bad even for me. If you're going to go and be miserable, why bother? I get it's for a celebration, but still, how celebratory are people going to feel if you're worried about collapsing the entire time?

candaceb
02-01-2018, 02:00 PM
We went to WDW last May and I am OK with heat but it was pretty miserable, especially at Animal Kingdom, which is notoriously the hottest park.
I have the widest feet on earth (they were already wide and then I got RA and the tendons loosened) and cannot wear any shoes that squeeze my feet because of RA. I alternated between FitFlops, Keens, and sneakers. Rotating shoes is key at Disney. You cannot overestimate the amount of walking. The FitFlops I have do not have a thing in the toes. This style without the bling: https://smile.amazon.com/FitFlop-Womens-Slide-Sandal-black/dp/B00M93LQYA/ref=sr_1_28?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1517507354&sr=1-28&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=fitflops+women

Another key item is monistat chafing relief: https://www.amazon.com/MONISTAT-Complete-Chafing-Relief-Powder/dp/B000FKLKXQ?th=1
all over your feet, under your boobs, between your legs - anywhere that has a potential to rub.

I agree with those above who say a string backpack will not work. You need to carry water bottles and that is going to get old quickly. See the other thread going on backpacks for travel.

Our usual strategy at Disney is to be there when the park opens, use Touring Plans app to work our way through the parks, and leave around 1:00. Sometimes we go back in the evening. On our last trip we ended up going to a water park almost every day.

If you are going to do this trip, one of 2 things needs to happen: 1) your DH acknowledges that this is a family trip that is going to cost money and gives you an adequate budget to prepare or 2) you start generating some income through something like mystery shopping or upwork that you can use for items your DH sees as discretionary.

lizzywednesday
02-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Please don’t dig in regarding clothes. Like we have said before, just try a bunch on. Buy from Nordstrom or REI so if they suck then you can return. All websites will let you filter by width. There are a million wide sandals in the world. Sandals are 100% the way to go on a muggy summer day. You’ll want multiple pairs of shoes in your suitcase too. If one starts to irritate spots, odds are another pair. Take your beloved sneakers but listen to us wise ladies and take sandals too. :)
If you can stay onsite for ease of daytime breaks, it’s the way to go. Otherwise, shows, eat, shop mid-day.

I'm not digging in about clothes, not yet. I just want to know what I should shop for.

But the shoes I'm a little less flexible about - I know DH is going to whine about HIS feet/back/knees so I want to be as comfortable as possible.

I just haven't found a sandal that I find comfortable for miles and miles of walking.

Yet.

lizzywednesday
02-01-2018, 02:11 PM

I don't mind heat. I've been to WDW in July. It was pretty bad even for me. If you're going to go and be miserable, why bother? I get it's for a celebration, but still, how celebratory are people going to feel if you're worried about collapsing the entire time?

If it were up to me, we'd go in November, but it isn't. It's up to my niece & her parents ... and my in-laws.

Right now, it's all theoretical anyway, so I might not have to deal. I need new summer clothes anyway, so I might as well shop/pre-shop as if I'm going to Disney.

jgenie
02-01-2018, 02:16 PM
If it were up to me, we'd go in November, but it isn't. It's up to my niece & her parents ... and my in-laws.

Right now, it's all theoretical anyway, so I might not have to deal. I need new summer clothes anyway, so I might as well shop/pre-shop as if I'm going to Disney.

Are they paying for your trip? If they’re not, then you get to vote on when it works best for your family. If I remember correctly there’s a lot of history there. My heart hurts for you when you post about your feelings not mattering. They DO matter because YOU matter!!

bnme
02-01-2018, 02:16 PM
I only wear Crocs at WDW :bag. I also will sometimes even wear or carry a pair of tennis socks in case my feet start to hurt, but they usually do not. I can't imagine wearing anything else there -the amount of walking coupled with the fact that your feet will likely get wet makes all other options undoable for me. Be prepared to be sweaty and wet. Be concerned more with comfort than looks. Also, as others mentioned, definitely plan on getting there early and taking a mid day pool break. You just can't do a straight full day at the parks in the summer. Drink a lot and cool off with ice cream and ices. Get to know which rides and attractions are indoors or have indoor ques so you can take A/C breaks.

DualvansMommy
02-01-2018, 02:17 PM
I had Athleta skorts for forever. I love them, but DH b!tches about them. (I think he should shut it.)

Skechers don't run wide enough for my foot.

I have a pair of Vionic flip-flops that I wore a total of once for a few miles on the boardwalk when we were down the shore a couple years ago.

They gave me blisters across the top of my foot and on my little toe. I know they get a lot of love here, but they just don't work for me.

Tell your DH from me to shut it. If those skorts work for you, take advantage of it as it’s one less thing to think to buy. Frees you up to focus on feet and backpack needs.

After my Disney trip, it’s all I wear every summer practically now. I generally live in my yoga pants year round, but switch to my skorts and pool dresses for the summer for around house/pool/errand days. In fact I need new pairs so will buy 5-6 to stock up.

Can’t help you on appropriate footwear, as I have very small and sensitive feet. Only vonic and sketchers fit flops work for me and that’s what I stick with religiously since it took me long time to go through tons of footwear to find what works for me. But you have my sympathies on difficulty of finding good footwear, try on tons from now till summer and buy with Memorial Day sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
02-01-2018, 02:21 PM
We went to WDW last May and I am OK with heat but it was pretty miserable, especially at Animal Kingdom, which is notoriously the hottest park.
I have the widest feet on earth (they were already wide and then I got RA and the tendons loosened) and cannot wear any shoes that squeeze my feet because of RA. I alternated between FitFlops, Keens, and sneakers. Rotating shoes is key at Disney. You cannot overestimate the amount of walking. The FitFlops I have do not have a thing in the toes. This style without the bling: https://smile.amazon.com/FitFlop-Womens-Slide-Sandal-black/dp/B00M93LQYA/ref=sr_1_28?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1517507354&sr=1-28&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=fitflops+women

FitFlops don't work for me and I can't get Keens on. I'm going to have to find sneakers that work and DH is going to have to deal.

I don't underestimate the amount of walking, so I want to be sure I won't injure myself.

Another key item is monistat chafing relief: https://www.amazon.com/MONISTAT-Complete-Chafing-Relief-Powder/dp/B000FKLKXQ?th=1
all over your feet, under your boobs, between your legs - anywhere that has a potential to rub.

I agree with those above who say a string backpack will not work. You need to carry water bottles and that is going to get old quickly. See the other thread going on backpacks for travel..

I love that Monistat stuff; I found it at a Walmart in AZ and it was very helpful for keeping the chub-rub down. I only really chafe on my inner thighs.

Great to know it's sold on Amazon!!!!

I did OK at Great Adventure with a string pack, but I see your point - I wouldn't take a string pack for all day around NYC! (Last trip, I took a crossbody bag; the trip before, I took a backpack but had my cell phone & wallet in an inner pocket in my coat. Obviously, relying on my coat as a wallet-keeper isn't an option in Orlando in July.)

If you are going to do this trip, one of 2 things needs to happen: 1) your DH acknowledges that this is a family trip that is going to cost money and gives you an adequate budget to prepare or 2) you start generating some income through something like mystery shopping or upwork that you can use for items your DH sees as discretionary.

I'm currently job-hunting, but I'll have to step things up. Upwork keeps coming up.

lizzywednesday
02-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Are they paying for your trip? If they’re not, then you get to vote on when it works best for your family. ...

It's my understanding that the ILs are contributing to the costs of, at least, lodging. I think DH said he has enough $$ socked away from having promised DD that she could earn a trip to Disney if she kept up her good behavior at school last year, and she did so she's earned it.

I don't know exactly what the financial arrangement is going to be. This could all be very hypothetical, depending on what's available.

At least it means DH is no longer pushing to go to WrestleMania.

lizzywednesday
02-01-2018, 02:35 PM
I only wear Crocs at WDW ....

Crocs are great ... for other people. They give me blisters and knee pain if I wear them for longer distances than from my house to the bus stop.

Kindra178
02-01-2018, 09:18 PM
I’m all about the Birkenstocks!

lizzywednesday
02-01-2018, 09:41 PM
I’m all about the Birkenstocks!

I haven't tried Birks. I had a knockoff pair by Chinese Laundry when I was in college that I liked fine for kicking around campus, but the stiff footbed might be a problem.

Honestly, I have a lot of trouble finding sandals that I don't hate in general; my current pair is by Clarks and needs replacing. And it's a discontinued style.

lizzywednesday
02-01-2018, 09:48 PM
I'm just curious... What did your dh not like about the skorts? And what did/does he like better?

He just gave me a vague "they're not flattering" and wouldn't tell me what the problem was. Then he bought me a pair of men's cargo shorts that I felt stupid in, but let him buy anyway, and then I donated them because I wasn't wearing them and didn't get them tailored.

I wear the skorts anyway because they're more comfortable in the humidity than the two pairs of heavy cotton twill shorts he bought me last year, but they're wearing out, so I'm due for new ones.

They were the Anywhere Skort style, with the full, gored skirts and contrast stitching down the gores. I like them because the skirts don't ride up even though the shorts do (they're imperfect) but they're really showing their age so they need to be replaced. I think the Everyday Skort (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1077307&pcid=86354&vid=1&pid=983365012) and the All Day Skort (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1077307&pcid=86354&vid=1&pid=591445022) have the potential to be replacements.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2018, 09:55 PM
I really like my Metro skort. The zippered pockets are really handy at amusement parks.

mikala
02-02-2018, 12:11 AM
You may want to check Eddie Bauer too for replacement skorts. I have a few from Athleta and a couple from Eddie Bauer and like them both. They have a few colors on clearance now plus 40% off and I'm sure they'll have regular price coupon codes in next month or rwo.

abh5e8
02-02-2018, 12:56 AM
Oh yes... buy yourself new skorts!! I love both of the ones you posted. (Fwiw, it almost sounds like your dh is being very mean in a passive aggressive sort of way. I can not imagine how the shorts you describe that he prefers would be at all flattering on ANY woman, while those skorts are universally wonderful, cool and cute.)

LBW
02-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Oh, I do have a clothing recommendation! Old Navy usually has these a-line foldover skirts for summer. They aren't on the site now. They're about the same shape as the Althleta skorts you listed, but they are skirts only. They're a little longer, too, IIRC, because of the foldover waistband. Basically you can adjust them to be slightly longer/shorter as needed. I think the waistband is super comfortable, too.

lizzywednesday
02-02-2018, 10:14 AM
I really like my Metro skort. The zippered pockets are really handy at amusement parks.

I looked at it, but the line is too narrow for my hips. It's almost a pencil skirt and I hate those.

You may want to check Eddie Bauer too for replacement skorts. I have a few from Athleta and a couple from Eddie Bauer and like them both. They have a few colors on clearance now plus 40% off and I'm sure they'll have regular price coupon codes in next month or rwo.

I'll have to look; most skorts out there seem to be almost pencil skirts over the shorts and I can't wear those comfortably.

Oh, I do have a clothing recommendation! Old Navy usually has these a-line foldover skirts for summer. They aren't on the site now. They're about the same shape as the Althleta skorts you listed, but they are skirts only. They're a little longer, too, IIRC, because of the foldover waistband. Basically you can adjust them to be slightly longer/shorter as needed. I think the waistband is super comfortable, too.

I've tried them in the past and they don't work for me. Also, ON doesn't have number sizes; only letters. I can't seem to get a good fit in letter sizes.

mikala
02-02-2018, 12:06 PM
If you can't find a skirt you like you could also go with a regular skirt with your preferred silhouette and some sort of under short. I've used exercise shorts for this in the past and it has worked well for me.

Kindra178
02-02-2018, 12:35 PM
I haven't tried Birks. I had a knockoff pair by Chinese Laundry when I was in college that I liked fine for kicking around campus, but the stiff footbed might be a problem.

Honestly, I have a lot of trouble finding sandals that I don't hate in general; my current pair is by Clarks and needs replacing. And it's a discontinued style.

The cork sole becomes like a custom orthotic.

AnnieW625
02-02-2018, 02:01 PM
I get blisters on the ball of my feet from Birks (always have since I got my first pair at 16) so I don’t wear them all day or when I know I will be walking a lot. I love Crocs Capri flip flops. I have the current model.

I also have a wide foot and a high instep though so nowhere close to normal feet.

They run small but I love Colorado Clothing Skorts and they aren’t pencil like at all. They don’t stock many though so you need to stalk their website. I wear an XL.

lizzywednesday
02-20-2018, 11:25 AM
UPDATE:

It doesn't look like we'll be going in July after all. Turns out, BIL's wife has been co-planning a big trip for DNiece's birthday with her BFF while (possibly deliberately) misunderstanding that the ILs wanted to celebrate their 50th with the WHOLE FAMILY. ILs are not fond of the BFF and her husband, so they've now declined to go.

I'm actually relieved.

We can now plan to go at another time that works better for us.

I'll still need to get fit and probably will need new clothing, but I won't have to plan for central Florida in July.

jgenie
02-20-2018, 02:30 PM
UPDATE:

It doesn't look like we'll be going in July after all. Turns out, BIL's wife has been co-planning a big trip for DNiece's birthday with her BFF while (possibly deliberately) misunderstanding that the ILs wanted to celebrate their 50th with the WHOLE FAMILY. ILs are not fond of the BFF and her husband, so they've now declined to go.

I'm actually relieved.

We can now plan to go at another time that works better for us.

I'll still need to get fit and probably will need new clothing, but I won't have to plan for central Florida in July.

Glad to hear it worked out for you!!