PDA

View Full Version : What Should DS Read Next?

merianne16
02-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Hello, I am looking for book recommendations for my DS11. He is a voracious reader and I have a hard time keeping ahead of him. He's read and enjoyed The Hunger Games series, Harry Potter, Fablehaven, Candy Shop Wars, Five Kingdoms and Killing Lincoln. He's read all kinds of non-fiction about the world wars, the revolutionary and civil wars, and the human body. Right now he is on book 7 of the Artemis Fowl series and loves it. He read The Hobbit but didn't enjoy The Lord of the Rings. He also did not enjoy The Chronicles of Narnia. What do you recommend? Thank you for your help! I've been a lurker on these boards since before he was born. I appreciate all your ideas and wisdom.

georgiegirl
02-01-2018, 10:39 PM
Has he read all of the Rick Riordan books? What about Maze Runner?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

merianne16
02-01-2018, 10:46 PM
He hasn't read any Rick Riordian. There are so many- what do you recommend he starts with? Maze Runner looks good too. Thank you!

Reyadawnbringer
02-01-2018, 10:56 PM
At age 9 my brother became obsessed with the Redwall series. I had read them myself and gifted them to him and he couldn't put them down.

At age 19 he has now gifted them to my DS who is 9 and has officially become obsessed with them as well. There are about 22 or so books in the series so there is a lot to dig in to.

DS1 - 9!
DS2- Expected 07/18

merianne16
02-01-2018, 11:12 PM
I also forgot to mention he read all of the Micheal Vey. Oops and loved those too. I've never heard of the Redwall series. I'll look in to it!

sariana
02-01-2018, 11:15 PM
Yeah, Redwall is good.

What about Issac Asimov's Robot series? (Caves of Steel is the first one, I think.) Some people on here have mentioned Foundation series in the past, but I think the robot detective stories are more fun to read. However, if your son likes non-fiction and has read anything about the Roman Empire, he might enjoy Foundation more than I did.

There's also the Dune series, but if you haven't read it, I would recommend reading up on it first. It's kind of weird and maybe too mature for him yet.

solsister
02-01-2018, 11:35 PM
All of the Rick Riordan are awesome! I'd have him read them in the order they were written.
-Percy Jackson is just such a fun ride! Here is a link to the list of his books in order, and his website.
He is awesome. My daughter is 15, and still loves his books, after discovering him at 9 or 10? My husband and I also really enjoy his stories.

http://rickriordan.com/

georgiegirl
02-01-2018, 11:38 PM
My DD loved all the Rick Riordan books. She started with Percy Jackson and then eventually read all the rest. I’m sure your son will love them.

KrisM
02-02-2018, 12:04 AM
Kingdom Keepers, Alex Rider series, Wings of Fire, Guardian of Ga'Hoole, The Mysterious Benedict Society, 100 Cupboards.

jenstring95
02-02-2018, 12:04 AM
Books that my DS has read and enjoyed (that you haven't mentioned) are the Wings of Fire series, The Unwanteds, Wrinkle in Time series, definitely all the Rick Riordan books, Peter and the Starcatchers series, the Septimus Heap books (Magyk, Flyte, etc.), the Divergent series and the Maze Runner series. I'm sure my DS can come up with more if you need them.

DietCokeLover
02-02-2018, 12:22 AM
Rick Riordan is a huge fav of DD (11)

The Green Ember series is also great.
39 Clues series
Warriors series
Simon Thorne series
The Land of Stories (6 books)

magnoliaparadise
02-02-2018, 01:26 AM
Following this thread. This could be way off because I have a DD, but she loved Land of Stories. I read two of the six books and thought the plots were good (though the writing only fair). It's a huge hit. It might be young for your DC, though.

AnnieW625
02-02-2018, 02:13 AM
My Dd1 is 11 also and just started the Percy Jackson series and is loving it.

Dd1 didn’t enjoy The Magician’s Nephew, but really liked The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in the Narnia series. She hasn’t read the rest yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa
02-02-2018, 09:21 AM
Another vote for Rick Riordan, starting with Lightning Thief.

DS really liked Wings of Fire at one point, but it's kind of fallen off his radar.

lizzywednesday
02-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Dd1 didn’t enjoy The Magician’s Nephew, but really liked The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in the Narnia series. She hasn’t read the rest yet.

The problem with reading The Magician's Nephew first is that, despite it being Narnian-chronology-wise first, it's best read after you've been introduced to the world elsewhen. Like reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe first, followed by Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Silver Chair. You can read The Horse and His Boy at any time, but it's set during the reign of the Pevensie Kings & Queens from TLTW&TW, which basically gets 4 pages at the end of the book despite having lasted years and years.

The Magician's Nephew is kind of slow and clunky, in my opinion. And I really hate The Last Battle.

MontrealMum
02-02-2018, 10:47 AM
http://www.ala.org/yalsa/booklistsawards/booklists

AnnieW625
02-02-2018, 11:13 AM
The problem with reading The Magician's Nephew first is that, despite it being Narnian-chronology-wise first, it's best read after you've been introduced to the world elsewhen. Like reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe first, followed by Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Silver Chair. You can read The Horse and His Boy at any time, but it's set during the reign of the Pevensie Kings & Queens from TLTW&TW, which basically gets 4 pages at the end of the book despite having lasted years and years.

The Magician's Nephew is kind of slow and clunky, in my opinion. And I really hate The Last Battle.

It was read in class, 6th grade social studies or religion (they have the same teacher). She read TLTWATW around the same time and loved it.

squimp
02-02-2018, 01:01 PM
I second Maze Runner - DD read that after Hunger Games and it was one of her faves. Divergent too.

nfceagles
02-02-2018, 01:39 PM
I second Rick Riordan, starting with the lightning thief.

Other ideas-
The Giver Series

Historical fiction- Number the Stars, A Night Divided

pakin
02-02-2018, 02:10 PM
We love Lockwood & Co. series by Jonathan Stroud. The first book in the series is called "The Screaming Staircase".
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-screaming-staircase-jonathan-stroud/1115122479?ean=9781423186922#/

There are 5 books in the series. I was sad when it ended. :)

Pakin

lizzywednesday
02-02-2018, 02:52 PM
It was read in class, 6th grade social studies or religion (they have the same teacher). She read TLTWATW around the same time and loved it. ...

It's more likely religion, as it basically re-tells Genesis.

ourbabygirl
02-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Sorry to hijack, but would you recommend any of these for a 3rd grade advanced reader (girl)? Thanks so much!

georgiegirl
02-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Sorry to hijack, but would you recommend any of these for a 3rd grade advanced reader (girl)? Thanks so much!

My third grader who is an advanced reader loves the Wings of Fire series. A few of his friends (boys and girls) jumped on the bandwagon. The Magyk/Septimus Heap series would also be appropriate for her. And DD (who is an advanced reader) read all the Rick Riordan books the summer after third grade.

elbenn
02-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Some other recommendations that I haven't noticed in this thread:

The Mysterious Benedict Society
Jason Haddix books
The Great Brain series is worth checking out. It's quite different though than most of the other books recommended here.

merianne16
02-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Wow, thanks for all of your helpful replies. There are plenty of good books mentioned here to keep him busy for a while.

Reyadawnbringer
02-02-2018, 05:22 PM
We love Lockwood & Co. series by Jonathan Stroud. The first book in the series is called "The Screaming Staircase".
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-screaming-staircase-jonathan-stroud/1115122479?ean=9781423186922#/

PakinThis is a great series also! I forgot that DS and I read these together last summer.

DS1 - 9!
DS2- Expected 07/18

lizzywednesday
02-02-2018, 05:23 PM

What has she read and what does she like to read?

Without knowing her, I'd recommend:

The Ordinary Princess by MM Kaye
The Narnia books
Anne of Green Gables series through Anne of Windy Poplars (4th book) for sure, but hold off on Anne's House of Dreams for a little while
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin
Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Judy Blume (complements the Fudge/4th Grade Nothing series, but you don't have to read the others to enjoy it; I read this one before I ever picked up Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing)
Eight Cousins, or, the Aunt Hill by Louisa May Alcott (there's a sequel, Rose in Bloom, but I liked this one a great deal)
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler by EL Koningsburg
Sarah Plain and Tall by Patricia Maclachlan (this one's really short)
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D Taylor
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (does contain elements of colonialism/prejudice, which are accurate for the 19th-century)
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I also like the Percy Jackson books for that age group; my BFF's daughter was reading on that reading level when she picked them up herself.

ourbabygirl
02-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the recommendations!
She's read all of the Little House books, Beverly Cleary & Judy Blume, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dork Diaries, Big Nate, Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield, lots of Goosebumps, Boxcar Children, the first four Harry Potter, some American Girl, Anne of Green Gables, Cricket in Times Square, Geronimo & Thea Stilton, Puppy Place, Calendar & A to Z Mysteries, Choose your own adventure, Wonder & Auggie and Me, I Survived, Who is/ What is, Humphrey series, etc. This year she's gotten into the Warriors books thanks to her homeroom teacher having many in her classroom library. She tends to pick the easy/ junkier books instead of more difficult ones, or classics, which I would prefer for her. ;).
She said her favorite genres are mysteries, comics, and adventures.
DS is a first grader, but has been reading chapter books for a couple of years, and I struggle to find things for him that are age appropriate, but not too easy.

lizzywednesday
02-03-2018, 06:10 PM

There are some AMAZING comics for that age group!

I recommend Rapunzel's Revenge and Calamity Jack by Shannon Hale & Dean Hale, art by Nathan Hale (no relation!)

What about Island of the Blue Dolphins? I think that was the closest I got to an "adventure" story when I was that age. I loved that book with all my heart. If we're talking Scott O'Dell, I'm rather partial to Sing Down the Moon and Streams to the River, River to the Sea.

ETA: I also liked The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy a great deal when I was a little older than your DD.

klwa
02-03-2018, 08:49 PM
She's read all of the Little House books, Beverly Cleary & Judy Blume, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dork Diaries, Big Nate, Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield, lots of Goosebumps, Boxcar Children, the first four Harry Potter, some American Girl, Anne of Green Gables, Cricket in Times Square, Geronimo & Thea Stilton, Puppy Place, Calendar & A to Z Mysteries, Choose your own adventure, Wonder & Auggie and Me, I Survived, Who is/ What is, Humphrey series, etc. This year she's gotten into the Warriors books thanks to her homeroom teacher having many in her classroom library. She tends to pick the easy/ junkier books instead of more difficult ones, or classics, which I would prefer for her. ;).
DS is a first grader, but has been reading chapter books for a couple of years, and I struggle to find things for him that are age appropriate, but not too easy.

Maybe the Goddess Girls books for DD. They go through the Greek Myths in a more "middle school girls" vibe. Dork Diaries hits the book/comic divide. (DD1 loves them. I'm meh.) For your son, has he done the Jedi Academy books, Oragami Yoda, or Stink?

ourbabygirl
02-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Thanks, Everyone! DS has read those three, and likes Stink the best (says he isn't into Star Wars :().
I will definitely try those for DD! Thanks for the recommendations!

Corie
02-03-2018, 09:36 PM

I absolutely loved this series!!

Reyadawnbringer
02-04-2018, 02:55 PM
DS is a first grader, but has been reading chapter books for a couple of years, and I struggle to find things for him that are age appropriate, but not too easy.My DS loved this comic his grandma got for him called Zita, Spacegirl. He also likes to burn through the Adventure Time Comics.

DS1 - 9!
DS2- Expected 07/18

ourbabygirl
02-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Awesome! I'll try those, too! Thanks!