PDA

View Full Version : Is chiropractics safe with bulging discs??

newmomto1
02-02-2018, 12:32 AM
Here is the situation...
I have had migraines most of my life and have seen so many doctors and tried so many meds....nothing has really helped.
Someone recommended I try a chiropractor....I had never done that in the past because quite frankly they scare me.
But, because I reallly want to get control of these headaches, I have decided to try. I have an appointment tomorrow.
BUT....as a side problem, this last year I developed some neck problems. I have several bulging cervical discs. I received two injections and a ton of PT over the last year and now maintain with exercises at home. I still have neck pain but it is more tolerable.
All of the sudden I am freaking out about going to the chiropractor because I do not want to undo the progress I have made or possibly make my condition worse.
Hoping for some quick feedback here before I go (or cancel) to my appointment tomorrow.
Thanks!

*****Update******
So I decided to keep my appointment just to see what the chiropractor would say.
I brought my neck MRI results with me.
After looking at that she said there was no way she would manipulate my neck. BUT, she offered something called ART (active release therapy) which is more of a deep massaging of the tissues...there is more to it than that, but it does NOT involve manipulation. And she is also going to try acupuncture with me. I have no idea if these therapies will work...I hope they do! Definitely worth a shot for me before I try anymore medications

AnnieW625
02-02-2018, 02:36 AM
A good chiropractor will refer you to an orthopedic surgeon if they feel they are out of their realm of treatment.

My DH had some lower back problems almost three years ago and was recommended a Chiropractic practice that works with an nhl team and an mlb team and the local university and he has been very happy with them. He went for about a month and then he still wasn’t feeling better and the chiropractor said he needed to go to an orthopedist for an mri and pain meds; the mri was normal so he didn’t need surgery and the muscle relaxers helps and with Chiropractic treatment once a week it helped his issues. After about four months he was able to go only once a month and he still goes now almost three years later.

I have heard acupuncture is great for migraines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indianamom2
02-02-2018, 01:05 PM
I can only give you my advice from personal experience. I had a bulging lumbar disc, had no pain, only tingling. Went to what I would have considered a “good responsible” chirp that I had seen before. After a couple of very gentle sessions, I suddenly had horrible radiating nerve pain down my leg which kicked off a year long round of 4 surgeries and more doctors appointments than I had ever had in my life. I live with permanent severe nerve damage that has lifelong consequences.

You may not have anything like that experience, but I know I could never in good conscience recommend seeing a chiro in your situation based on my results.

bisous
02-02-2018, 01:27 PM
I can only give you my advice from personal experience. I had a bulging lumbar disc, had no pain, only tingling. Went to what I would have considered a “good responsible” chirp that I had seen before. After a couple of very gentle sessions, I suddenly had horrible radiating nerve pain down my leg which kicked off a year long round of 4 surgeries and more doctors appointments than I had ever had in my life. I live with permanent severe nerve damage that has lifelong consequences.

You may not have anything like that experience, but I know I could never in good conscience recommend seeing a chiro in your situation based on my results.

I did not realize your pain started at the chiropractor. I’m so sorry. I still think of you and your ordeal. Are you doing any better?

StantonHyde
02-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Whatever you do, don't let them touch your neck! Especially if they are going to pull on it or "adjust" it. There is actually a large number of young, health women who have strokes after chiro adjustments of their necks--yanks on the neck arteries! yikes. I saw a chiro for knee pain and they were great--got me orthotics and really helped. But I wouldn't let them near my neck. I honestly would try acupuncture or dry needling at a PT before I did chiropractic.

NCGrandma
02-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Whatever you do, don't let them touch your neck! Especially if they are going to pull on it or "adjust" it. There is actually a large number of young, health women who have strokes after chiro adjustments of their necks--yanks on the neck arteries! yikes. I saw a chiro for knee pain and they were great--got me orthotics and really helped. But I wouldn't let them near my neck. I honestly would try acupuncture or dry needling at a PT before I did chiropractic.

I’ll admit that after spending my career in (allopathic) medical education, I’m very skeptical of chiropractic. I know several people who have taken their normally developing, asymptomatic infants for chiro adjustments of the head and neck. None had bad outcomes but it still made me profoundly uneasy.

In my own experience with SI joint pain, I have had both osteopathic manipulation and PT, both with good results.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Indianamom2
02-02-2018, 02:56 PM

I have also read this and agree that I think it’s generally risky.

Indianamom2
02-02-2018, 10:46 PM
I did not realize your pain started at the chiropractor. I’m so sorry. I still think of you and your ordeal. Are you doing any better?

You're very kind to ask. I am doing well, I just have a new normal. I will never have normal function in my left lower leg and foot. I have peripheral neuropathy, which is essentially what many diabetics have that causes them to be more susceptible to nonhealing wounds. My pain level is much improved, but I will always have partial paralysis of the nerves that control my calf and foot, causing a pretty substantial limp. My biggest fear is losing my foot due to the neuropathy, but there isn't really anything I can do about it.

On the plus side, it was the kick in the rear I needed to jump into a new career...I now work full-time from home for a local hospital coding medical records.

newmomto1
02-02-2018, 11:24 PM

I am so sorry about what you have been through....awful! :(

newmomto1
02-02-2018, 11:24 PM
Update in OP

AnnieW625
02-02-2018, 11:37 PM
I’ll admit that after spending my career in (allopathic) medical education, I’m very skeptical of chiropractic. I know several people who have taken their normally developing, asymptomatic infants for chiro adjustments of the head and neck. None had bad outcomes but it still made me profoundly uneasy.

In my own experience with SI joint pain, I have had both osteopathic manipulation and PT, both with good results.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

The first few times I took my DH to the chiro because he couldn’t drive I couldn’t believe that people would take their less than 5 yr. old kids or any kids who weren’t athletes there, but I guess these people swore by it.

Also they did x rays at his first visit as well so that put me at ease a bit as well knowing that if it was something serious they would’ve referred him back to an orthopedist (which is what DH told me when he was done with the initial appointment).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corie
02-03-2018, 09:34 AM
I feel your pain. I also have suffered a lifetime of migraines. I've seen many neurologists over the years and I've
tried so many preventative drugs. Nothing has helped.
Plus, I have neck pain as well. My neck pain is caused by arthritis. I feel like my neck is always hurting. You'll see
me at stoplights doing neck stretches.
I tried a chiropractor in the hope of improving my migraines. He ended up just really aggravating my neck every time
I went in. I stopped going after a few visits. It just wasn't worth it.

jenmcadams
02-03-2018, 12:49 PM
I know some people have had great results with Chiro and I even saw one for a while for some hip issues I was having, but in 2011, my DH had a spontaneous dissection (tear) in his vertebral artery (unknown cause, could have been congenital weakness) and had a series of severe strokes. The absolute first question every neurologist asked us was whether he'd had any chiropractic work (he never saw a chiro). The fact that their first theory of why he would have had the dissection and subsequent stroke being chiropractic work basically convinced me I was done with chiropractic care. If I ever did go back, I definitely wouldn't let them manipulate my neck/back. I'm glad the one you saw looked at your MRI and decided not to do anything.