PDA

View Full Version : Advice on hair dye for kids? Anyone done it?

magnoliaparadise
02-02-2018, 01:41 AM
My DD (fourth grade) has been begging me to let her dye the tips of her hair and I finally said ok. She wants to go to a hair dresser - I said no because it's too expensive and IMHO if you are going to do something tween-y like that, the fun is doing it at home. Also, frankly, how hard can it be...?

I just googled and then searched on BBB and it sounds like people use the Splat hair dye products or punch (Koolaid or Hawaiian Punch).

My idea is to bleach the ends, then put some dye on the hair and use dye that would gradually rinse out... and then either keep the once bleached tips (which people seem to think don't look so bad after awhile) or cut them off.

This is the most recent thread I found on this:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?499901-Pink-hair-dye&highlight=hair+dye

-- My DD is excited, but super anxious that *I* am going to do it on her. Does anyone have any experience with this or have suggestions on how to do it?

-- Also - a separate question - ugh, would you let younger kids dye their hair? My kindergartener is begging now that I have said yes to her older sister... She does have a friend who has a streak of dyed hair periodically. That kid wears it really well and the whole family is in the hair care business so it kind of makes sense.

Thanks.

Tenasparkl
02-02-2018, 11:06 AM
We did the tips of DD’s hair with purple kool aid. She has pretty light hair so we didn’t bleach the tips first. The color changed from purple to kind of a pinkish red after a week or so, but the pink color lasted for months (much longer than I expected)

ellies mom
02-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I don't have any problems with coloring kid's hair. The only obstacle for my kids was elementary school dress codes. But they dropped the no unnatural hair color rule this year so I do see hair color in the future for the youngest.

That said, I'm not a fan of home bleaching. What I do with my oldest is to have the ends and a few other streaks bleached by my stylist and then we just keep applying a color that washes out. We've been using colorista. I actually started doing it with my hair too because I got tired of how quickly the more expensive ones were fading (I have green on the underneath layers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jse107
02-02-2018, 11:54 AM
I won't do the bleach part at home, but we did have the hairdresser--at Hair Cuttery--bleach one streak that I just keep home dyeing. We use Punky Color--which seems pretty gentle and smells like Kool Aid.

almostmom
02-02-2018, 12:27 PM
DD dyed a streak in her hair for awhile. We did it at the hair dresser. They didn't charge much for it - maybe $40? Maybe less? They bleached a streak, and then put red dye on it. It faded in a couple months. She doesn't do it anymore, but she does still have some of the blond bleached hair growing out. Not an issue.

I would do it somewhere and not at home. At least the first time. And if you do the ends, you could put color on at home when it wears off, just not bleach at home.

lizzywednesday
02-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Don't bleach at home.

I don't care which kit you use, whether it's by Clairol or Manic Panic or whatever, home-bleach is really hard to do.

Don't bleach at home.

The dye is cake after that. I like Manic Panic; I think it smells like finger paint.