PDA

View Full Version : effectiveness of tamiflu at 84 hours?

WatchingThemGrow
02-03-2018, 07:59 AM
I came down with a cough and sore throat Wed., went to dr. Thurs, but no fever was present. Tested negative for strep. On Fri. I got much worse, and doc called in tamiflu, but the pharmacy was out of it. I read the effectiveness is highest within 48 hours. Is it worth taking on the 3rd or 4th day?

Any care tips are welcome. 10yo DS has it also.

SnuggleBuggles
02-03-2018, 08:46 AM
I don't see the upside. They say it shortens the flu 1-2 days...you should be nearing the peak anyway. I don't think it will do you any good and it's expensive.

Sleep. Warm baths help.

chlobo
02-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Were you swabbed for the flu? Or did he just call it in assuming it was flu? A friend's daughter had the same symptoms you are describing and she tested negative for both strep and flu. It was some other random virus. Does Tamil work on other random virus'?

AngB
02-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Were you swabbed for the flu? Or did he just call it in assuming it was flu? A friend's daughter had the same symptoms you are describing and she tested negative for both strep and flu. It was some other random virus. Does Tamil work on other random virus'?

Tamiflu only works on influenza.

Our ped doesn't even prescribe it unless a parent really wants it as it can cause a lot of nasty side effects including diarrhea and vomiting for only shortening the flu by a day.

PZMommy
02-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Both our pedi and pulmonologist said it works best if started within 24 hours, but 48 hours is the maximum. My DS has health issues, so we were told at the first sign being him in. He started Tamiflu within 12 hours, and I feel it really helped him. He had no side effects from it.

I would say that at the 84 hour mark it would not be worth it. Both DH and I caught the same flu (influenza A) from DS and it starts out strong right away, like out of nowhere, but by day 3 we were starting to feel better. Due to the shortage of Tamiflu, we were not prescribed it. We did have our flu shots which also seemed to help lessen the symptoms. So if you have the flu, you most likely are nearing the end of the worst of it.

WatchingThemGrow
02-03-2018, 01:08 PM
I think they were low on flu tests as our pediatrician's office was out! They didn't test me, but said it must be with my symptoms. The generic was $10 with insurance, but after reading your replies, I decided to leave it for another patient who may need it more. Thanks all! (Never felt so bad in my life...hoping DS gets over it without feeling as badly as I do!)

essnce629
02-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't take it if flu was never confirmed. DS2 was sick a few weeks ago and ended up missing 4 days of school with a fever up to 104 degrees, cough, runny nose, chills, aches, and a headache. We needed a doctor's note to return to school since he had missed more than 2 days. He tested negative for flu. It was just some other random nasty virus. DS1 and DH also ended up with milder versions without fever.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk