PDA

View Full Version : Fever and school?

ang79
02-04-2018, 08:55 PM
DD1 (11) has been sick all weekend. We actually were at the pediatrician on Thursday for a cough that has been ongoing since November. She was also having headaches and congestion so he prescribed antibiotics in case it was sinus related and drainage is causing post nasal drip and the cough. Then Saturday morning she started with a fever, chills/sweats, and tiredness. The fever was up past 101 around noon so I gave her Tylenol, it then dropped and she perked up and played quite a bit with her sister. Around dinner time she got chills again and the fever was back. Still had the fever this morning. Gave Tylenol around noon again as she said her head was hurting a lot. Again, she perked up in the afternoon, now she is back to chills and when I take her temp on the Exergen temporal thermometer it ranges between 99.9 and 100.7. I'm scheduled to sub. teach tomorrow so trying to decide if I should call off now or wait til morning. At what point do you not send a kid to school if they have a mild fever? She really hates to miss school, but I also know if I send her and she starts to feel worse, she probably won't go to the nurse (she is convinced the nurse doesn't do anything when kids say they are sick). Also, I don't want to send her if she is contagious or anything. Thoughts?

Corie
02-04-2018, 09:01 PM
I'd keep her home.

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Because she doesn’t feel good unless medicated, I wouldn’t send her.
Are you opposed to Ibuprofen? It works better and lasts longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ett
02-04-2018, 09:08 PM
I'd keep her home too.

ang79
02-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Thanks. I canceled my job for tomorrow with the plan that I'm here if she needs to stay home (and if she is feeling like she did at bedtime she will be home). That's how I was leaning but hate the mom judgment calls like this!

georgiegirl
02-04-2018, 09:47 PM
Keep her home. She should be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school. And by fever, 100.4 or higher. If the child is in the 99s, then I wouldn’t be concerned.

boilermakermom
02-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Our district requires fever free for 24 hrs. Keep her home!

PZMommy
02-04-2018, 10:13 PM
With all the germs going around, I would definitely keep her home tomorrow.

KrisM
02-04-2018, 10:33 PM
I'd keep her home too. Unmedicated, fever-free for 24 hours is usually the rule.

WatchingThemGrow
02-05-2018, 05:30 AM
I had to cancel a sub job last week also, but it’s because I was sick!! Hope your DD feels better.

ang79
02-05-2018, 09:38 AM
And of course the fever is gone this morning! Our school had a 2 hour delay for ice so they don’t get on the bus til after 10. Our school also has the 24 hr. Fever free rule, but it’s the overnight fevers and then waking up fine that always make it a tricky call.

icunurse
02-05-2018, 09:43 AM
And of course the fever is gone this morning! Our school had a 2 hour delay for ice so they don’t get on the bus til after 10. Our school also has the 24 hr. Fever free rule, but it’s the overnight fevers and then waking up fine that always make it a tricky call.

Body temps increase during the day and peak in the evening/nighttime, depending on sleep patterns. So if they have an increased temp in the morning, there is a good chance it will be a fever later in the day. My child currently has diagnosed flu and was waking up without a fever (99.0) and then was 102 hours later. A fever is a fever. If you child receives any medication today, then no school tomorrow.

ang79
02-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Body temps increase during the day and peak in the evening/nighttime, depending on sleep patterns. So if they have an increased temp in the morning, there is a good chance it will be a fever later in the day. My child currently has diagnosed flu and was waking up without a fever (99.0) and then was 102 hours later. A fever is a fever. If you child receives any medication today, then no school tomorrow.

She is totally normal (98.7), last meds were noon yesterday. Was 100.7 at 8:30 last night but I didn’t give her meds, just let her sleep. Other than the cough that she has had for 2 months, she is otherwise normal this morning. I guess I hate to keep her from school if she is truly better (she gets stressed about missing work and having to make it up), but I don’t want to send her and have her tire out and then get worse again. That’s why it’s a tough call for me.

georgiegirl
02-05-2018, 09:56 AM
She is totally normal (98.7), last meds were noon yesterday. Was 100.7 at 8:30 last night but I didn’t give her meds, just let her sleep. Other than the cough that she has had for 2 months, she is otherwise normal this morning. I guess I hate to keep her from school if she is truly better (she gets stressed about missing work and having to make it up), but I don’t want to send her and have her tire out and then get worse again. That’s why it’s a tough call for me.

If she was 100.7 last night, then she can’t go to school today according to the 24 hour rule. Kids usually wake up fine in the morning and then spike a fever in the afternoon. That’s why they want one day without a fever to make sure the fever is gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
02-05-2018, 01:53 PM
If she was 100.7 last night, then she can’t go to school today according to the 24 hour rule. Kids usually wake up fine in the morning and then spike a fever in the afternoon. That’s why they want one day without a fever to make sure the fever is gone.

What temp does your school use as a definition of "fever?" At our daycare they don't consider under 101 to be a fever, nor does our pediatrician (after the newborn stage).

Dayzy
02-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Our school sent out a notice that aligns with all the local districts that a fever is considered 100.4 and above and children must be 24 hours fever free. So the 100.7 in the evening would be considered a fever and she would stay home today.

georgiegirl
02-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Our school sent out a notice that aligns with all the local districts that a fever is considered 100.4 and above and children must be 24 hours fever free. So the 100.7 in the evening would be considered a fever and she would stay home today.

Yes! Our school defines it as 100.4 and above. I think that’s pretty standard.

HannaAddict
02-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Save the other kids too when you think about sending your child. I don’t want a child who was feverish the night before at school in this flu season.

bisous
02-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Yes! Our school defines it as 100.4 and above. I think that’s pretty standard.

That's our standard as well.

ETA: When I was diagnosed with pneumonia my fever only ever got up to 100.9 ONCE and I needed antibiotics and was contagious!

jacksmomtobe
02-05-2018, 05:06 PM
Our district requires fever free for 24 hrs. Keep her home!

Same with ours. At the middle school they are dealing with an outbreak of the flu and other illnesses where over a 100 (out of 750) kids were out absent today and Friday. Picked up DS with a 101 fever today so he will be out tomorrow.

DualvansMommy
02-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Another vote of keeping her home. Our town made the local news cuz our whole school district closed today due to epidemic flu among the BUS DRIVERS! There weren’t enough to drive all the routes today, so they closed all 3 schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ang79
02-05-2018, 10:58 PM
I did keep her home, mainly because her throat was very red and sore so I figured staying home and resting would be best. No more fever but still has the sore throat. Hopefully she will feel better in the morning.

icunurse
02-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Save the other kids too when you think about sending your child. I don’t want a child who was feverish the night before at school in this flu season.

Exactly this! I know at my child's school, there is a child who had a heart transplant and another who is dealing with chemo (and that's just the little I know, I'm sure there are more situations out there). Their parents must be terrified! My child has been fever-free for 36 hours now, but I kept her home today because I wanted one more day for her to not be contagious because of the other children (kids especially can still be contagious even after the fever is gone). The school secretary practically gushed thanking me for making "a really good decision". It's not that hard, its being considerate and erring on the side of safety. Of course, a friend of my child just started a fever last night and the mom said he might be back by Wednesday because that's picture day and the school play. No. Just...no. This is why illness spreads so fast, because people rush their kids back to school or daycare for little reasons (and I completely understand that we have a sector of society that doesn't get paid sick days and lives for every work day. For them, I am sympathetic to their plight. Friends Mom is a SAHM and the kid can make up pictures and miss the damn play instead of taking out the whole group)

chlobo
02-06-2018, 07:37 PM
A friend just told me that a boy in one of her son's activities was out of school yesterday but went to an activity last night but then was out again today with dx flu.

ang79
02-06-2018, 10:28 PM
While I appreciate all of the input here, I do want to clarify that I was asking more about what constitutes a fever and going to school (because I am not exactly sure if my district has a policy on the exact temperature). I do understand the 24 hrs. fever free rule and have followed that many times. When I asked this question her temp. was showing between 99.9 and 100.7 on a temporal lobe thermometer. Each time I swipe it shows a different reading so I usually swipe several times to get an average. I do realize that your normal body temperature rises as the day goes on and this was in the evening, so to be expected that it would be slightly raised. If her temp. were over 101 I definitely qualify that as a fever = staying home. But with the varied reading and still pretty low it made me question what to do, especially when she was most sick on Saturday, but was acting much better Sunday and had a normal appetite, up and alert and playing and acting more normal. I work in schools, I get it that sometimes parents send kids when they are still obviously sick. But as she was acting much better I questioned what to do in that moment. That is all :)

icunurse
02-06-2018, 10:45 PM
While I appreciate all of the input here, I do want to clarify that I was asking more about what constitutes a fever and going to school (because I am not exactly sure if my district has a policy on the exact temperature). I do understand the 24 hrs. fever free rule and have followed that many times. When I asked this question her temp. was showing between 99.9 and 100.7 on a temporal lobe thermometer. Each time I swipe it shows a different reading so I usually swipe several times to get an average. I do realize that your normal body temperature rises as the day goes on and this was in the evening, so to be expected that it would be slightly raised. If her temp. were over 101 I definitely qualify that as a fever = staying home. But with the varied reading and still pretty low it made me question what to do, especially when she was most sick on Saturday, but was acting much better Sunday and had a normal appetite, up and alert and playing and acting more normal. I work in schools, I get it that sometimes parents send kids when they are still obviously sick. But as she was acting much better I questioned what to do in that moment. That is all :)

As a healthcare worker, I can tell you that a lot of places will not use tympanic or temporal thermometers for just that reason - a wide range of user error resulting in temp discrepancies. Our hospital system tried them and found too many inconsistencies.

Also, maybe try checking your school district handbook? I just checked ours and it says that students must stay home for a temp greater than 100 degrees (which kinda surprised me, but while it isn't considered a fever in most healthcare settings, it is an elevated temp and can be indicative of something which you don't want to expose to a large, close population).

o_mom
02-06-2018, 11:41 PM

Most 11yos are able to use an oral thermometer. We started around 7, I think. I had to hold it a few times and remind them not to talk, but now they can do it on their own. Get a digital oral thermometer and then you will know for sure.

ang79
02-06-2018, 11:56 PM
We have several, though they are cheap or freebie ones. And my kids can use them but they take so long and even I think holding it under my tongue is uncomfortable. We normally use the temporal one because it gives us a quick, general reading and is easy to scan their heads if they are trying to sleep, etc. So that is just what I had out to use at the moment.

#2ontheway
02-07-2018, 01:34 AM
As a healthcare worker, I can tell you that a lot of places will not use tympanic or temporal thermometers for just that reason - a wide range of user error resulting in temp discrepancies. Our hospital system tried them and found too many inconsistencies.

Yeah, my physician husband would tell you to throw that thing away. He won't accept temporal lobe readings from his staff.

We just got a new digital oral thermometer (on extreme discount at our local drug store clearance bin) and I was surprised how fast it is. Switch to a digital oral thermometer and you'll take that averaging/guessing part out of your decision making.

magnoliaparadise
02-07-2018, 03:49 AM
I just asked my friend, a school nurse, about this yesterday. She said that all the places she has worked have the rule that if your kid has a temperature of 100 or over at any time during the day, they need a full 24 hours of 'no fever' (less than 100) without fever reducing medicine before going back to school. (Interesting. A fever of 100 was higher than I would have expected to be the minimum).

If a kid has thrown up, they need a full 24 hours before going back to school of no throwing up.

Like other posters have said, she said that your body should be lowest in the morning (and peeks at approximately 8 pm) so if your kid has a fever of 99.9 at 8 am, that is a sure sign that you are going to have a fever that day.

She said that she sees kids every day in the winter who come to her, have a fever, and tell her that they had a fever in the morning and their parents gave them medicine and sent them to school.

chlobo
02-07-2018, 10:34 AM
If a kid has thrown up, they need a full 24 hours before going back to school of no throwing up.

It's a regular occurrence around here that parents will send a kid to school who has thrown up the night before if they don't throw up in the morning. It's maddening.

DualvansMommy
02-07-2018, 11:18 AM
I had to drive DS1 to school the other morning after his bus pulled up at our stop, to only be told by driver we’ve to make our way ourselves. Why? Cuz he had a student in his bus who just threw up, so it was contaminated! And bus driver had to drive the kid to school to only have nurse call said parent to get that sick kid back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

solsister
02-08-2018, 02:40 AM
Ugh, it's so hard. There is so much pressure on homework and parent's work, so health is sometimes forgotten or ignored.

My daughter is 15 and has not missed a day of school in the past two years for sickness. We kept her home today, and let her sleep in. She slept for 16 hours. She had no fever, but a VERY drippy nose, and she looked so pale when I picked her up from school yesterday. I told her to just climb in bed when we got home, and she did. Getting up, only for soup and popsicle, and back to bed to read and sleep. She was just wiped out. My husband called in to the school this morning, to say that she was resting, and might be in at lunch. The secretary told him that if she had a temperature of 100 or more, to keep her home. If she came back today, she would have to see the nurse to be let back in- temperature taken, and throat looked at, due to a HUGE Strep outbreak at our little school (200 kids-7 through 12th). We have never heard of anything like that before, but totally get it, and would follow the rules.

We ended up letting her sleep until almost 1, and just rest. I felt so thankful that I could stay home with her and let her take care of herself. I know that we can't always do that. She has three crazy days, starting tomorrow. Out from 7:15, until at least 9 pm, tomorrow and Friday, and basketball all day, with a birthday party/sleepover on Saturday.We all need rest sometimes. I want her to stay as healthy as she can with so many illnesses going around. I know many parents that dose their kids, and send them to school with a masked fever, in the hopes the parent can get their morning work done, and expect a call when the meds wear off. One of them being a doctor!

I know that the flu is going around, and my dh and have both been hit by it. It was a doozy. 3 weeks total until he felt almost back to normal, but he's still kind of wiped out, and 5 weeks for me ( i have autoimmune, and always take longer to get better) mine turned into a yucky sinus infection. Literally, the day I declared that I almost felt back to my old self, we both got food poisoning from our favorite sushi place! It's been a hell of a new year, honestly.