PDA

View Full Version : S/O: neuropsych eval

TwoBees
02-06-2018, 10:54 AM
So how does one go about getting a neuropsych eval? We are in the process of having DD1 evaluated for ADHD through school, and I know I’ll have to have her clinically evaluated too (school can only make recommendations). I’m not sure if I should contact the pediatrician next or look for a psychiatrist.

lizzywednesday
02-06-2018, 11:40 AM
So how does one go about getting a neuropsych eval? We are in the process of having DD1 evaluated for ADHD through school, and I know I’ll have to have her clinically evaluated too (school can only make recommendations). I’m not sure if I should contact the pediatrician next or look for a psychiatrist.

We went to DD's pediatrician to do an initial survey (survey to us; survey to her teacher) and then we (the pediatrician and I) discussed next steps after the forms had been returned and tallied.

Then, based on our conversations with the pediatrician following the surveys, we had a full workup at CHOP Behavioral Health. I believe I still have their number in my phone and can pass it along if your insurance covers them.

The clinic is a few blocks away from the Main Campus in University City and is pretty easy to get to.

After they diagnosed ADHD, we took that info back to her pediatricians and began medication trials.

We manage her meds through her pediatrician while I try to learn about skill building and parenting strategies to help DD learn to manage her ADHD as a complement to the meds. (I am not doing very well with the skill building, but CHOP Behavioral Health offers a parents' group and "parenting bootcamp" classes to help you get up to speed, if you can get to them. They don't offer much in NJ, but they have quite a lot in Philly and the PA 'burbs.)

hbridge
02-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Talk to your pediatrician, they should be able to make some recommendations in your area. If you have access to a children's hospital, it also might be worth a call to them. Be prepared to wait. Our local Children's hospital is booking about 18 months out...

Charlie
02-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Yes to the above. Our pediatrician gave us a list of places that performed neuropsych evaluations, indicated who took our insurance (altho we still had to pay a large chunk out of pocket) and starred their recommended providers. It took 6 months to get the appointment.

hillview
02-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Yes to the above. Our pediatrician gave us a list of places that performed neuropsych evaluations, indicated who took our insurance (altho we still had to pay a large chunk out of pocket) and starred their recommended providers. It took 6 months to get the appointment.
This pretty much except we got a reco for a great eval from research and friends (not pedi — who thought there was nothing to worry about, even after DS2 qualified for EI!!)

TwoBees
02-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Thank you everyone. I will give the ped a call and also poke the school again.

We went to DD's pediatrician to do an initial survey (survey to us; survey to her teacher) and then we (the pediatrician and I) discussed next steps after the forms had been returned and tallied.

Then, based on our conversations with the pediatrician following the surveys, we had a full workup at CHOP Behavioral Health. I believe I still have their number in my phone and can pass it along if your insurance covers them.

The clinic is a few blocks away from the Main Campus in University City and is pretty easy to get to.

After they diagnosed ADHD, we took that info back to her pediatricians and began medication trials.

We manage her meds through her pediatrician while I try to learn about skill building and parenting strategies to help DD learn to manage her ADHD as a complement to the meds. (I am not doing very well with the skill building, but CHOP Behavioral Health offers a parents' group and "parenting bootcamp" classes to help you get up to speed, if you can get to them. They don't offer much in NJ, but they have quite a lot in Philly and the PA 'burbs.)

Lizzy, can you send me a PM with the info, if you still have it? We are with CHOP for a different, although undoubtedly related, issue, and staying there so everything is connected would be ideal. I was told their developmental peds department has at least a 1-year wait.

lizzywednesday
02-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Lizzy, can you send me a PM with the info, if you still have it? We are with CHOP for a different, although undoubtedly related, issue, and staying there so everything is connected would be ideal. I was told their developmental peds department has at least a 1-year wait.

PM sent! I hope it helps.

TwoBees
02-07-2018, 01:45 PM
PM sent! I hope it helps.

Thank you!