PDA

View Full Version : Just not feeling healthy...

alootikki
02-07-2018, 02:25 PM
I'm frustrated - for the past year (maybe two), I just haven't felt consistently healthy. I get frequent migraines (which also bring tiredness and nausea), I feel low-energy, and now my periods are too frequent (going from my usual 29-31 days to every 21 days!). Between the headaches and my period, I feel like at least one week out of the month I'm barely functional - forget going to the gym then!

I'm 41. I just had my annual physical. I've been on Synthroid since my first pregnancy - TSH is now within normal range. The dr did say my vitamin D levels were low, and told me to up my Vit D supplement.

Any ideas for other things I should be tested for? There's no acute condition, just generally not feeling well and frustrated with this cycle!

SnuggleBuggles
02-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Did they check other thyroid indicators than TSH? It's been a while but there are several other #s they should be running. I feel a lot better on Armour as it has T3 and T4. Synthroid does just T4.
Can you switch up your exercise program? I'd been in a rut and finally went back to running. I feel so much better after a good run.

alootikki
02-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Did they check other thyroid indicators than TSH? It's been a while but there are several other #s they should be running. I feel a lot better on Armour as it has T3 and T4. Synthroid does just T4.
Can you switch up your exercise program? I'd been in a rut and finally went back to running. I feel so much better after a good run.

Yes, they checked T3 and T4 as well - both normal.

I definitely need to switch up and make my exercise routine more consistent! Part of the reason I'm so frustrated is that the headaches and low-energy are preventing me from getting to the gym consistently!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178
02-07-2018, 02:53 PM
What is your tsh? The new recs are way lower than the old recs. I do best when my tsh is below 1. I also think i prefer Armour. Tirosint works better than Synthroid.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mikala
02-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Did they check for anemia when they ran the other labs?

DualvansMommy
02-07-2018, 02:58 PM
What is your tsh? The new recs are way lower than the old recs. I do best when my tsh is below 1. I also think i prefer Armour. Tirosint works better than Synthroid.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

I had thyroid issues during both of my pregnancies, and after the birth I was prescribed Armour.

Something jumped out at me about your periods. How’s your ferritin numbers? Mine was low for long time, 9 at one point! That’s why I was so low energy and had frequent headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alootikki
02-07-2018, 03:15 PM

TSH was 3.4 - which is the upper-range of "normal". But yes - when I was pregnant, the dr wanted my tsh closer to 1. Several years out, they seem ok with a higher TSH. Something to bring up with her...

How’s your ferritin numbers? Mine was low for long time, 9 at one point! That’s why I was so low energy and had frequent headaches.

Thanks for this thought! I don't think she tested for ferritin - I will ask.

Did they check for anemia when they ran the other labs?

Nope- another thing to look into.

Thank you all! I knew this board would have good ideas for what to go back to the dr with!

Kindra178
02-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Time to find a new doctor. 3.4 is outside the upper range of the new normal. That (to me) is why you feel like crap. I feel awful at 1.8. Under 2.5 is the goal - you need to address this!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3923601/

wendibird22
02-07-2018, 03:50 PM
If you find your ferritin is low too then I would suggest looking into food sensitivities and celiac. Having low iron, low D and thyroid issues are very commonplace with celiac and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. They cause gut inflammation which causes malabsorption, which leads to a host of other things like fatigue, frequent headaches and migraines, etc.

pinkmomagain
02-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Vitamin D is amazing. Definitely give the dr's recommendation a try and see if that helps at all.

MSWR0319
02-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Time to find a new doctor. 3.4 is outside the upper range of the new normal. That (to me) is why you feel like crap. I feel awful at 1.8. Under 2.5 is the goal - you need to address this!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3923601/

:yeahthat: 3.4 is too high. My dr likes to keep his patients around 1.5 but bases it on how they feel. I also have low ferritin and have many of the symptoms you mentioned. Low ferritin usually happens before anemia. My ferritin was 11 last time it was checked, but I was not quite anemic. I had some blood work ran and my CBC was looking like I may have crossed the anemic line, but it wasn't with my regular dr so I haven't discussed it with her yet since I'm on iron anyway.

acmom
02-07-2018, 06:51 PM
If you find your ferritin is low too then I would suggest looking into food sensitivities and celiac. Having low iron, low D and thyroid issues are very commonplace with celiac and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. They cause gut inflammation which causes malabsorption, which leads to a host of other things like fatigue, frequent headaches and migraines, etc.

Wendibird, can I ask how you figured out that you had a non-celiac gluten sensitivity? I have had many of the same issues for years (migraines, fatigue, IBS, eczema etc.) with a recent flareup of GI symptoms. All my testing looks normal to this point (including iron and thyroid) and they have repeated the celiac testing multiple times in my life thinking that might be a factor (just recently did it again), but its always negative.

essnce629
02-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Definitely get your ferritin levels checked (ideal for women is 70-90). Mine was 8 at my lowest. Ask for the celiac antibodies test. It's a simple blood test and the first step in looking for celiac disease. Don't eliminate or reduce your gluten intake before the test as you have to be eating gluten for it to be accurate.

DS1 has eczema, a gluten sensitivity, and ulcerative colitis. Eczema, autoimmune, and GI issues tend to go hand in hand.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

solsister
02-08-2018, 02:22 AM
Check out STOPTHETHYROIDMADNESS.COM. It's got so much information, and yes, your number is too high. Print out the list of tests (STTM website) that you should have for thyroid, and bring it to your doctor. You can also give up gluten, and see if you feel better. Thyroid and gluten issues seem to go hand in hand for many people.

calebsmama03
02-08-2018, 03:15 PM
I could have written your post almost exactly. Not migraines, exactly, but bad headaches and just lots of general "unwell"-ness. Headaches, low energy, very frequent periods, pelvic pain during and between periods, weird heart palpitations. I started seeing an integrative medicine nurse practitioner last year and I'm finding a big improvement in my overall wellness. I was certain my thyroid was off. She has tested me for a whole bunch of things that are less common, has done more thorough thyroid testing (which was fine, even by stricter standards), salivary hormone testing (that lasted an entire month), etc and I'm on a regimen that seems to be starting to help. I would highly recommend looking into a more holistic minded MD/DO/NP. I'll PM you, as well.

calebsmama03
02-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Wendibird, can I ask how you figured out that you had a non-celiac gluten sensitivity? I have had many of the same issues for years (migraines, fatigue, IBS, eczema etc.) with a recent flareup of GI symptoms. All my testing looks normal to this point (including iron and thyroid) and they have repeated the celiac testing multiple times in my life thinking that might be a factor (just recently did it again), but its always negative.

Not who you're asking but I had issues a while ago and by happenstance found out. I tried a strict elimination diet to try to convince DH to do it for migraine and found when I added wheat back in I felt bad. Decided to try it super strict and, sure enough, after a few months when I added back wheat I would have severe GI issues, rashes, and awful acne. My old doc wanted me to go back to a gluten rich diet for a few months so she could do all the formal testing but I decided I didn't need an official diagnosis as long as I felt better. New provider says as long as I'm OK staying GF (been 5+ years now) she wouldn't put me through the hassle just to test and based on a rule out of other diagnoses and the fact that some of my labs are still wonky (ferritin is 19 even off gluten) the dx of NCGS fits. To get the benefit you have to be strict, though. At first I thought I'd just not eat bread/pasta and not worry about little bits like soy sauce or cross contamination in a deep fryer, etc. Doesn't work. :( It's an all or nothing proposition.

wendibird22
02-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Not who you're asking but I had issues a while ago and by happenstance found out. I tried a strict elimination diet to try to convince DH to do it for migraine and found when I added wheat back in I felt bad. Decided to try it super strict and, sure enough, after a few months when I added back wheat I would have severe GI issues, rashes, and awful acne. My old doc wanted me to go back to a gluten rich diet for a few months so she could do all the formal testing but I decided I didn't need an official diagnosis as long as I felt better. New provider says as long as I'm OK staying GF (been 5+ years now) she wouldn't put me through the hassle just to test and based on a rule out of other diagnoses and the fact that some of my labs are still wonky (ferritin is 19 even off gluten) the dx of NCGS fits. To get the benefit you have to be strict, though. At first I thought I'd just not eat bread/pasta and not worry about little bits like soy sauce or cross contamination in a deep fryer, etc. Doesn't work. :( It's an all or nothing proposition.

This exactly. Was tested for lots of things and celiac antibodies were negative. A strict GF diet for a few months and my health was drastically improved. Took another few months to feel the best I had in a long time. Did a gluten challenge after 1.5 yr gluten free and a triscuit a day had me with a full body rash by day 6. My doctor was willing to diagnose me NCGS after the food elimination trial. She actually changed my diagnosis to celiac after the rash episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abh5e8
02-09-2018, 11:45 AM
I developed eczema after ds was born and through trial and error I realized gluten is the trigger. Even a small amount like the flour in a roux to thicken soup will trigger it. I have very reluctantly eliminated gluten and I have found I generally feel much better. Mood, sleep, skin, energy levels have all improved. It's been so drastic it's easy now for me to follow the diet, because I feel so much better.