PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experienced/ know costochondritis? Manifest as chest pain.

Dream
02-08-2018, 11:44 AM
My younger DD complained of chest pain last week and was seen by a pediatrician on Friday and was diagnosed with costochondritis. Its inflammation in the joint between the breast joint. Only medication was Motrin as the need arises. Monday I kept her home. She hasn't improved and on Tuesday night I took her to the pediatric ER as the Motrin wasn't helping and she was complaining that its getting worse even after a dose of Motrin. So the doctor confirmed the diagnosis is correct and to have her on Motrin every 6 hrs for 48 hours and after that on a need basis. So she was home yesterday. I sent her to school today and she's still on Motrin every 6 hours and I've done hot compress twice a day as advised by the ER doctor. Still no improvement and I'm getting worried. I don't see the point of keeping her from school as the chest pain comes and goes.

I've read what google has to say but I would like to hear from some one who's had first hand experience on this, on themselves or maybe known a DC that went through it. DD does figure skating about 3 hrs a week, 1 hr of off ice conditioning and have been training to compete. She does stretching exercises at home. I appreciate if you could share your knowledge and experience in this please. I know there's some doctor moms on the board so I'm hoping someone can chim in.

Thank you

StantonHyde
02-08-2018, 11:51 AM
You could try alternating Tylenol and Motrin for better pain relief. I did that when I having some gnarly dental issues and it worked. At least that manages the symptoms part. Another idea would be to have her see a physical therapist to figure out why this is happening (if it is due to an overuse issue vs. a medical issue).

chlobo
02-08-2018, 12:45 PM
Maybe try something topical like arnica or traumeel? They both are available at Whole Foods. You might also want to try an anti-inflammatory supplement like tumeric. It might be worthwhile to alternate ice and heat.

However, if she is trying to train through this, it might be tough to bring the pain down. She might want to take a week off to give it time to cool off.

Dream
02-08-2018, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I did apply Arnicare gel twice yesterday.

@chlobo: are you saying turmeric capsules? Or should I add turmeric powder to milk and let her drink? I do this usually at the first sight of an oncoming cold so its doable.

I'm planning on canceling her skating sessions this week. Last week I stopped only the off ice conditioning and home exercising. But this week Sunday - Tuesday I'm planning on stopping all the sessions.

KpbS
02-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Yes! I had it years ago. It does really hurt and the pain can be intermittent. I think the most important thing now is to keep taking the Motrin and rest. No physical activity (exercise) including stretching until the pain is completely gone. Send her to school so she can keep up with her lessons, but I would talk to the nurse and see if she can come in and rest (or apply ice) as needed.

Hth!

marinkitty
02-08-2018, 02:47 PM
I had it a few years ago and it only went away after I stopped exercising for a decent amount of time. Pilates and running especially seemed to make it worse. It has gone away but when I work out a lot, I can feel it come back. It has never been as chronic as it was when it first started, but I have also backed off a lot from super intense exercise since then.

essnce629
02-08-2018, 03:39 PM
DS1 had this 2 years ago while on his competitive swim team. Common with butterfly we were told. He ended up taking a month off swim which worked because it piggybacked on their winter break schedule. The doctor excused him from PE as well. Unfortunately, during that break he decided he didn't like swim anymore and never went back. [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

doberbrat
02-08-2018, 05:52 PM
I had it and the pain was terrible. I agree w/alternating tylenol & motrin. Also a larger dose might be needed - talk to the dr. if the pain isnt being controlled.

For me, I also had to take 6wks off w/o activity for it to heal.

hope she's better quickly

Dream
02-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I've made a follow up appointment for today and canceled all activities for this weekend. She's really bummed, all her interests are in things that keeps her active. Skating, tennis, Acro, swimming etc. So from the sound of it, its not possible for her to be an athlete with a condition like this right? I'm grateful its nothing major but still very sad for her:(