PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a driving vacation from Philly (< 7 hrs and CHEAP)

Mikey0709
02-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Any East coasters have recommendations for a CHEAP summer vacation for us?

Trying to find something new, we've been to most locations 3-4 hours or less from Philly area. No Jersey shore, no MD beaches, no Wash DC. We have been as far south as Williamsburg, VA, as far west as Pittsburgh, and as far North as NYC.

We don't mind roughing it (cheap hotel & fast food) or camping (we're boy scouts). We like museums, science ctrs, historic sites, beaches. Not really into sports or extreme amusement parks.

Any suggestions? REALLY trying to keep it cheap to be able to do a full week.

I'm even willing to drive a little further for a great recommendation. (Carolinas? Ohio? W Virginia? Kentucky? New york?)

Any ideas from East coasters out there?

SnuggleBuggles
02-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Can you rent a house in Deep Creek, MD? You can eat in so that helps the budget.
Our cheap vacation is always visiting family. Any options like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmsmom
02-09-2018, 12:43 PM
NC OuterBanks...if you go last week of summer before Labor Day it can be cheap. Niagara Falls is about 7 hours and there are cheap hotel options there. You could spend 2-3 nights there then do something else... Lake Placid is beautiful in the summer and you can bobsled and see Olympic sites. The ski resorts in VT & NY have summer activities... look at Stratton or Okemo.

cilantromapuche
02-09-2018, 12:58 PM
What about Finger Lakes region in NY (and you could hit Niagara Falls and Buffalo as well). There are some great things to do and see: Watkins Glen and Letchworth state park, Museum of Play in Rochester, Ithaca has some cool spots. Great food in all locations and good camping as well as plenty of hotels.

Simon
02-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Maine! Camping in/near Old Orchard Beach brings you to amazing sandy beaches, rocky coastlines with tide pools, great hiking. Visit the warmer inland lakes or stick to the coast. Portland is close enough for day trips and there is a lot to see and do. Personally, I just love soaking in the scenery and my kids loved the experience.

klwa
02-09-2018, 01:43 PM
How about going to Chincoteague/Assateague in Virginia to see the wild horses? http://www.chincoteague.com/

Mikey0709
02-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Excellent ideas! This is the feedback I was looking for.... now off to research! Only place we've been to has been Assateague & chincoteague - - so your suggestions are spot on of what we're looking for.

Philly Mom
02-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Maine! Camping in/near Old Orchard Beach brings you to amazing sandy beaches, rocky coastlines with tide pools, great hiking. Visit the warmer inland lakes or stick to the coast. Portland is close enough for day trips and there is a lot to see and do. Personally, I just love soaking in the scenery and my kids loved the experience.

I agree with Maine. Lake Sebago has some excellent camping spots as does Desert Mountain in Arcadia. From Lake Sebago both Portland and North Conway are easy drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

wendibird22
02-09-2018, 03:17 PM
What about Finger Lakes region in NY (and you could hit Niagara Falls and Buffalo as well). There are some great things to do and see: Watkins Glen and Letchworth state park, Museum of Play in Rochester, Ithaca has some cool spots. Great food in all locations and good camping as well as plenty of hotels.

Yes! Come this way! Museum of Play is amazing. Seneca Park Zoo is very nice. Letchworth was voted best state park in NY. Lots of places in/around the Finger Lakes to camp and hike. People swear by Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park for camping and it's got a great spray park area. My friends who've been said their kids were never bored. https://www.campjellystone.com/park/4-north-java-ny-buffalo-rochester/
From Rochester you could day trip to Niagara Falls...it's 1.5hr drive and really spending an afternoon is enough time.

ahisma
02-09-2018, 03:39 PM
Mount Desert Campground near Acadia
Driving the entire Blue Ridge Parkway (I have our itinerary, if you go that route - it was a favorite)
Holden Beach is generally less expensive than the Outer Banks
Western MI has amazing sandy beaches

nfceagles
02-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Shenandoah including side trips to Civil War era historic site and Monticello

Pigeon Forge, TN and Great Smokey Mountains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boolady
02-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Maine and Finger Lakes are great suggestions. I would also suggest the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

elbert
02-09-2018, 05:12 PM
I second many of these, especially Maine and the Adirondacks/Lake Placid.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
02-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Driving the entire Blue Ridge Parkway (I have our itinerary, if you go that route - it was a favorite)

Would you be willing to share your itinerary?

erv917
02-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Acadia NP in Maine is further than you were looking to drive (looks like about 10 hrs from Philly) but it's so wonderful and different from places you've been in the past. You could easily spend a week there and do something new and different every day. Lots of cool programs, guided hikes, etc, free with your National Park admission. I've never camped there but I've heard good things about the park owned campgrounds.

moosemama
02-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Toronto, if you're willing to drive a bit further (and have passports!). You could stop for a day in Niagara Falls on the way there or back.

mm123
02-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Toronto, if you're willing to drive a bit further (and have passports!). You could stop for a day in Niagara Falls on the way there or back.

:yeahthat:

I was going to say Toronto/Niagara or Montreal. With the exchange rate what it is now, your U.S. Dollars will go very far in Canada.

moosemama
02-09-2018, 11:29 PM
:yeahthat:

I was going to say Toronto/Niagara or Montreal. With the exchange rate what it is now, your U.S. Dollars will go very far in Canada.

Montreal is a great choice! I'd also suggest Ottawa or a combined Montreal/Ottawa trip. Quebec City would be fun as well, but it's 2 hrs further than Montreal.

trales
02-10-2018, 12:24 AM
Cape cod. Camping in the hamptons, fire island. Gunks in NY, catskills, rhode island, berkshire's, new hampshire. martha's vineyard camping. Nantucket. So many choices. Concord NH is exactly 7 hours away. Kittery, ME would be 7, anything north would be more.

RiverRat
02-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Go into Ontario. Your money will go a lot further! You can rent cottages or go into Toronto which is so much fun. Kids need birth certificates to cross, you’ll need passports.