PDA

View Full Version : LL Bean's NEW POLICY! (Spinoff of backpack thread )

Mikey0709
02-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Did everyone see their email? No more lifetime warranty, now 1 year or evaluated on a per case basis (the way I read it).

What do you all think? Kinda makes sense to me, last time I tried to get a repair they gave me a hard time since I didn't have proof of purchase. Said they were getting too many thrift store finds for replacement. My item wasn't that old, but I most likely paid cash in store and couldn't prove it. I just was hoping for a strap fix.

Wonder if alot of other companies will follow? I truly think alot of return policies are abused after hearing what Costco & Nordstrom take back.... and seeing all the used JUNK at the REI twice a year yard sale. My husband works for a food retailer, and I am SHOCKED how much food gets returned after being 1/2 eaten.

kep
02-09-2018, 11:59 AM
It sounds like people were really abusing their policy before. It’s a shame that those few ruined it for the rest of us. Here’s a copy of the email that came out today:

A message from Executive Chairman Shawn Gorman.

L.L. Bean

A Letter to Our Customers

Since 1912, our mission has been to sell high-quality products that inspire and enable people to enjoy the outdoors. Our commitment to customer service has earned us your trust and respect, as has our guarantee, which ensures that we stand behind everything we sell.

Increasingly, a small, but growing number of customers has been interpreting our guarantee well beyond its original intent. Some view it as a lifetime product replacement program, expecting refunds for heavily worn products used over many years. Others seek refunds for products that have been purchased through third parties, such as at yard sales.

Based on these experiences, we have updated our policy. Customers will have one year after purchasing an item to return it, accompanied by proof of purchase. After one year, we will work with our customers to reach a fair solution if a product is defective in any way.

This update adds clarity to our policy and will only affect a small percentage of returns. It will also ensure we can continue to honor one of the best guarantees in retail, with no impact for the vast majority of our customers. To learn more, please view our full return policy at llbean.com.

L.L.Bean has stood for quality, service, trust, and getting people outdoors ever since my great-grandfather founded our company over 100 years ago - and that will never change. Thank you for being a loyal customer and we look forward to continuing to inspire and enable you to Be an Outsider.

Sincerely,

Shawn O. Gorman
Executive Chairman

L.L.Bean Inc.
Dept. CFM
15 Casco Street
Freeport, Maine 04033
USA
1-888-610-2326

Kindra178
02-09-2018, 12:02 PM
I’m happy for them. Too many folks abused the policy (even people on here).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ett
02-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Thanks for posting. I didn't get this email today.

mmsmom
02-09-2018, 12:36 PM
I understand why they did this. Some products have a natural lifetime. I have slippers that I wear everyday and they last a year or so. I could send then back saying they were worn out and get a new pair, but really you can’t expect them to last forever.

I think a year is fair for most items but it depends on how often they are used/worn. Sounds like they are leaving it open for exceptions which is good.

Melaine
02-09-2018, 12:53 PM
I wonder if this will allow them to discount the backpacks more frequently. I still think LL Bean backpacks are the best we've owned. I just returned both of the girls LE backpacks because they had issues over less than a year.

Snow mom
02-09-2018, 01:10 PM
I don't blame them. I've heard people openly flaunting abusing the return policy. At a local consignment sale someone was talking about looking for anything ll bean because they bring it all back to the store for credit. Who could possibly believe this is what the return policy is for? As DH was telling DD regarding chromebook useage at school last night "if you give people a privilege someone will find a way to abuse it and ruin it for everyone". The change won't affect how I shop at ll bean.

khm
02-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Good on them. It drives me crazy when this kind of stuff is abused. I wonder if the more anonymous nature of sending a bag back makes it easier for some folks? I mean, if that had to look someone in the eye and hand over an obviously well-loved, well-used, many years old bag maybe they'd think better of it? Eh, probably not, I've seen some ballsy and ridiculous Costco returns. I'd be MORTIFIED to attempt some of what I've seen (and I'm not even there all that often in the grand scheme of things). I'm not a Nordstroms shopper, but I've heard stories there too.

SnuggleBuggles
02-09-2018, 01:49 PM
I’m happy for them. Too many folks abused the policy (even people on here).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

:yeahthat: I hate hearing about people abusing the policy. It's not intended for products to last forever and it's sad that some cheap people ruin it for honest customers. I don't doubt that they will stand behind their products- they just no longer have to deal with blatant return abuses. I worked at a store with a lifetime guarantee (that ended after a while) and people would bring back 20 year old, well used items they either no longer needed/ wanted or wore out. I hated dealing with them.

SnuggleBuggles
02-09-2018, 01:50 PM
What about the lady who returned a Christmas tree to Costco after Christmas? Terrible. I hear it happens a few times each year there.

AnnieW625
02-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Fine with me. I would rather spend $30-$40 on a backpack every few years than expect that one be replaced for me if it means the continued quality I am used to. Dd2 is on year 3 of her LL Bean pack, and Dd1 is on year 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
02-09-2018, 04:07 PM
I'm guilty of having bent the policy to suit my interpretations, but I agree this has been a long time coming and LL Bean is in the right.

They'll still get my money, especially when DD needs a new backpack (we're on year 3) or lunchbox (also year 3), and for new slippers when I finally ask for them in the fall, because I really feel like the quality Bean products have is well worth the spend.

KrisM
02-09-2018, 04:37 PM
I agree people were abusing it. A friend would by backpacks and return them when her kids needed a bigger one or a different style (wheels or no wheels). No problems with the backpack, just wanted a change.

My boys both have LLBean backpacks and they are great. DS1's top handle loop thing broke though and I was considering asking if it could be replaced. I don't have my receipt though. He used it to hang it up in his locker, so it's his fault it broke.

liz
02-10-2018, 09:30 AM
I wasn't surprised at all, esp after hearing stories recently how people abuse the system. It makes sense for them. Part of the reason I buy LLBean products is their awesome warranty. I buy items instore and online. Since I have an account, when I buy in store I link it to my account. That way if I don't have the receipt anymore they can look up my purchase. Hopefully this will help in case I have a future return.

But really, I hate people that take advantage of things and ruin it for everyone :irked:

Cam&Clay
02-11-2018, 02:08 PM
This is why we can’t have nice things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk