PDA

View Full Version : Apparently strep looks like a stomach bug

alootikki
02-09-2018, 02:24 PM
DS woke up today complaining that his tummy hurt. I figured he was constipated or just didn't want to go to school! He also felt nauseous and said his throat hurt.

I made an appt with the ped, but then DS threw up. I figured it must be the stomach bug and went to cancel the appt - but the nurse told me to go in anyway.

When we got to the dr's, DS felt awful again and threw up again in their bathroom. The dr was running late and I was about to cancel the appt - I felt awful torturing DS by keeping him waiting there when OBVIOUSLY he just had the stomach bug!

The nurse finally brought us in - no fever (I'm thinking, "right, bc it's a stomach virus!"). DS freaked out and wouldn't let her do a throat swab. Again, I'm feeling awful about putting him through this when of course it's not strep!

Long story short - the dr swabbed and it was strep! Home now with antibiotics. Just wanted to share bc this is the first time one of my kids has had strep with no fever and throwing up! In this case I'm glad I didn't listen to my instincts and keep him home to ride it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
02-09-2018, 02:26 PM
This is how my kids always present with strep throat. They’ve never had a sore throat. Typically throwing up and a fever that comes on suddenly is our sign it is strep.

AnnieW625
02-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Kids at DD2’s daycare a few years ago got it that way...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twowhat?
02-09-2018, 02:48 PM
DD has presented with a stomachache (no vomiting, thankfully) and sore throat (no fever) and tested positive for strep TWICE this year already!

Mikey0709
02-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Yup - same here. Always vomit and hardly ever a sore throat with strep.

marinkitty
02-09-2018, 02:59 PM
Very common to throw up with strep. Although mine do also usually get the fever too. Glad you figured it out right away!

mom2khj
02-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Knock on wood, only one of mine has had strep and that was exactly how it presented! I definitely didn't expect the strep diagnosis either! Hope he's feeling better soon!

alootikki
02-09-2018, 03:29 PM
Follow-up question - he still can't keep anything down, including the first dose of amoxicillin I've been trying to give him for the last two hours! Any tips on how to get the medicine to stay down and take effect?

robinsmommy
02-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Check with your pharmacy and your Dr. Is it also possible that the particular antibiotic doesn't sit well with DC? In which case you might need something else. I'd also be leery of ending up with some making it in their system and giving DC too much - esp with liquid, which should go thru fairly quick.

And yep, the first time my girls had strep it was the "bottom" strep. Not fun.

alootikki
02-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Dr just prescribed Zofran - hopefully this works to calm the nausea and vomiting! Poor kid!!

MSWR0319
02-09-2018, 05:42 PM
My oldest has no tonsils and presents with a stomach ache and a headache. No fever or anything. I let it go the first time so long that we’re lucky it didn’t turn into anything else. Now when he has those two things I take him in just in case.

bisous
02-09-2018, 07:59 PM
DD has presented with a stomachache (no vomiting, thankfully) and sore throat (no fever) and tested positive for strep TWICE this year already!

Oh crap. That's what DS is complaining about right now and he doesn't ever complain. Maybe I'll take him into urgent care tonight for a swab. So hard to know if they are actually sick!

twowhat?
02-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Oh crap. That's what DS is complaining about right now and he doesn't ever complain. Maybe I'll take him into urgent care tonight for a swab. So hard to know if they are actually sick!

I know!!! Both times after the initial day-long stomachache and sore throat, DD would wake up the next morning feeling fine, and both times I was thiiiiis close to canceling our sick visit appointments! And both times we got a shocker positive strep test!

jacksmomtobe
02-10-2018, 01:36 AM
I remember once on the way to the drs with sick dd when she was littler and suddenly she threw up in the car. She just threw up on herself...I think in her mind she didn’t want to make a mess in the car. I was very surprised that it was strep but now I keep that in mind as a possibility. I don’t think she has ever thrown up with strep since then though.

pastrygirl
02-10-2018, 09:04 AM
I did not know this! I had strep a lot as a kid, but only the sore throat version. It never would’ve occurred to me that vomiting could be a symptom!

robinsmommy
02-10-2018, 06:28 PM
I did not know this! I had strep a lot as a kid, but only the sore throat version. It never would’ve occurred to me that vomiting could be a symptom!
Ditto with the butt rash. Had no idea on that one, esp for kids out of diapers.

MSWR0319
02-10-2018, 09:14 PM
Ditto with the butt rash. Had no idea on that one, esp for kids out of diapers.

:yeahthat: DS2 had anal strep awhile back. He had this weird rash that would come and go and I attributed it to food intolerance or something like that. We were at his 5 year checkup and the dr asked if he'd had that rash awhile. It wasn't there that morning. I told him it wasn't there earlier but had been there before and would come and go. He swabbed it and it came back positive in less than 2 minutes. I felt horrible for not taking him in.
He just had the exact same rash not long ago and the NP (not at our ped office) wasn't concerned about it but when I told her about his past she swabbed it. She didn't really know what she was doing and didn't swab it the same way as the doctor since she had never heard of it. It came back negative but within two days of the antibiotics he got for a sinus infection that day it was gone.

klwa
02-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Yep. I've had those same thoughts a couple of times & kicked myself for bringing them to the doctor only to have the doc say strep. So, now we go regardless of my gut.

smilequeen
02-12-2018, 11:18 AM
I had this last year, what I thought was a 24 hour stomach virus but I actually developed a sore throat and it was strep. Worst case of strep I’ve ever had and I’m really prone to strep.