PDA

View Full Version : Flu symptoms?

sf333
02-11-2018, 07:55 PM
If you or one of your family members has had a confirmed case of influenza, what were the symptoms like and how long did they last?

I’m asking because so many people describe it as feeling like they’d be been hit by a train and they’re sick for 1-2 weeks but then I’ve read other accounts where the worst symptoms only lasted 48 hours - or symptoms were relatively mild (and this includes people who did not get the flu shot).

Just curious!

PZMommy
02-11-2018, 08:13 PM
It hit suddenly. Started with headache, body ache, fever. For my family, the worst of the symptoms only lasted a couple of days. All of us had our flu shots, and my youngest who has severe asthma, was given Tamiflu. His recovery was a bit longer than the rest of us, but with his underlying health issues, he did pretty good. We all tested positive for type A. Both DH and my oldest started feeling sick on a Friday afternoon, and both were back to work and school by Tuesday. They could have gone back on Monday, but there was no school that day. My younger DS missed an entire week of school, as we had to be extra cautious with him.

specialp
02-11-2018, 08:48 PM
We have not, but so many close friends have this year so I've asked. The first symptoms most experienced were really bad headache and lethargy followed quickly by a fever. Some had nausea and vomiting. Maybe a half a day or less between the headache/lethargy and the fever. Then it was the full on aches, chills, fevers for a couple of days with most of the worst being 48 hours. So sort of over it by 4 days but still a bit weak reduced energy after that but still functioning well.

dogmom
02-11-2018, 09:32 PM
There are several different strains of flu out there, and they are mutating also. So one person’s flu may not be another person’s. Treatment is pretty much the same. We just had something that was lower grade fever, headache, tiredness, body aches. Lasts about a week, really sick half of it. I couldn’t work for a week, but I’m a nurse and work 12 shifts and won’t go in to make my patients sick. It may or may not have been flu. We did not get tested.

doberbrat
02-11-2018, 10:28 PM
dd2 had a confirmed case of the flu & strep last year. She had a high fever and her head hurt. I thought she had an ear infection and almost didnt bring her to the dr. She was fine after 3 or 4 days.

pastrygirl
02-11-2018, 10:41 PM
My 8yo tested positive on Saturday. First symptoms were on Friday: headache and body aches. Enough to stay home, but he was in good spirits with Tylenol. Fever and aches Saturday morning. Tylenol helped again, and he was tired but not miserable. We all started Tamiflu then. Today (day 3), minor aches, no fever, no Tylenol needed. He’s coughing (he has cough variant asthma), so I’m keeping him home tomorrow.

He did get the flu shot.

HannaAddict
02-12-2018, 03:58 AM
My 8yo tested positive on Saturday. First symptoms were on Friday: headache and body aches. Enough to stay home, but he was in good spirits with Tylenol. Fever and aches Saturday morning. Tylenol helped again, and he was tired but not miserable. We all started Tamiflu then. Today (day 3), minor aches, no fever, no Tylenol needed. He’s coughing (he has cough variant asthma), so I’m keeping him home tomorrow.

He did get the flu shot.

His symptoms are milder thanks to the shot, glad he’s doing well. Our friend’s son tested positive and it was awful, no shot. Tamiflu helped and the family was resistant at first mention by the doctor but relented and the mom has said she is so glad she did as the symptoms were so harsh this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2khj
02-12-2018, 09:55 AM
I had it last year. It hit FAST. One minute I was fine, the next I was trembling/shivering even though it was warm out and felt like I was hit by a truck. Everything just HURT. Found out I had 104 fever when I got home. Started Tamiflu the next day. My only symptoms where the tiredness/soreness, headache and fever. Probably spent 4-5 days where I couldn't even get up out of bed. It took another few days to be back to 100%.

sf333
02-12-2018, 11:00 AM
It’s interesting how widely the symptoms vary in intensity. My son was sick over the weekend. I spoke with the on-call doc on Saturday and she said it sounded like the flu (rapid onset of symptoms, headache, back pain, fever, cough) but his severe symptoms only lasted 2 days. He still has a cough but fever was gone after 48 hours. No flu shot.

She also said that they only give Tamiflu to kids under 2, adults over 65 or those who are immunocompromised. She said my 3 year old wouldn’t be able to get it if he came down with flu.

Thanks for the responses.

legaleagle
02-12-2018, 11:08 AM
My husband and I both got the flu a few weeks ago - I was really sick for about 5 days, started to feel better and then got hit with a horrible sinus infection (and it took me a week to get an antibiotic that actually worked). My husband felt terrible for about 9 days, then went into the dr and was diagnosed with bronchitis and strep throat. Both our symptoms came on really suddenly. He had a 101-102 fever, I never had a fever. We were vaccinated but no tamiflu.

StantonHyde
02-12-2018, 03:42 PM
One of DH's ER colleagues, who has been inundated with flu, wrote her own algorithm for diagnosing flu:
1. Do you feel like you have been hit by a train? No? You don't have the flu
2. Have you been by an actual train? Yes? You don't have the flu
3. No? You have the flu

:ROTFLMAO:

Also remember, it's not the flu that gets you, its the nasty upper respiratory stuff that can come with the flu that kills people. So if you are feeling short of breath, etc.--call your doctor!!!

DH noted that they had been seeing the A variant but that has now dropped off and they are seeing the B variant. So we are not out of the woods yet.

lcarlson90
02-12-2018, 04:01 PM
My DS is sick right know and I'm wondering if it's the flu. Started with a headache and low grade fever last night. Today no fever but headache and a mild stomach ache. I find it hard to believe it's the flu since his symptoms seem mild but he did get a flu shot so maybe he's just getting a mild version.

mackmama
02-13-2018, 10:08 PM
My DS is sick right know and I'm wondering if it's the flu. Started with a headache and low grade fever last night. Today no fever but headache and a mild stomach ache. I find it hard to believe it's the flu since his symptoms seem mild but he did get a flu shot so maybe he's just getting a mild version.

This sounds like what my DC had a couple weeks ago. Headache then fever between 100-101F then stomachache. Don't think it was the flu. I was also told stomachache usually isn't associated with flu. DC got a runny nose a couple days later, but then it all just went away. I think it was just a different mild virus.

Most people I know say their DC's who ended up diagnosed with the flu started with a cough then a fever.

mackmama
02-13-2018, 10:10 PM
One of DH's ER colleagues, who has been inundated with flu, wrote her own algorithm for diagnosing flu:
1. Do you feel like you have been hit by a train? No? You don't have the flu
2. Have you been by an actual train? Yes? You don't have the flu
3. No? You have the flu

That's been my understanding of the flu, but that isn't what I've heard this season from many who've been diagnosed with the flu. For several people I know, it started fairly mild for the first couple of days and then hit them.

Mikey0709
02-14-2018, 10:18 AM
This sounds like what my son had a few weeks ago, and it was going around the school like wildfire. Kids got an incredible headache (migraine-like), fever, slight puking/upset stomach but not really bringing anything up. Good thing is - almost everyone was better within 24-48 hours. Must be a viral thing. It was just odd so many kids complained of an incredible headache.

barkley1
02-14-2018, 10:46 AM
DH noted that they had been seeing the A variant but that has now dropped off and they are seeing the B variant. So we are not out of the woods yet.

This is exactly what DD's ped. said yesterday when she tested positive for Flu A yesterday morning. We had a family at school that had A over Xmas break, and now has B. Boooooo. DD's symptoms were congestion, high fever and extremely tired. The first 12 hours (Monday afternoon/through the night) were the worst...she's felt good yesterday, kinda more congested and tired today, though. Lots of sneezing.