PDA

View Full Version : Citrus prohibited

Globetrotter
02-11-2018, 11:02 PM
I recently saw a sign at a high school that says no citrus within 30 feet. I assume within 30 ft of that classroom? I’ve never seen anything like that and assume it’s a food allergy?? But wondering how that would work.. does the kid stay in one room all the time? 😬
Maybe it’s something else altogether but we were curious.. it got me thinking about rare food allergies. One kid in 2nd grade had a deadly allergy to Lima beans. We tend to be careful of nuts but it must be hard to avoid things like citrus and Lima beans, since people don’t think to point them out.

AnnieW625
02-12-2018, 12:34 AM
Are fruit flies an issue in the area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Globetrotter
02-12-2018, 01:57 AM
Not really - it’s just within 30 feet of one room!

PZMommy
02-12-2018, 02:03 AM
Maybe it was the teacher, and not a student who was allergic? It is definitely odd though.

klwa
02-12-2018, 07:25 AM
There was a sign similar to that in a building I go to for work. There was one employee who had issues with citrus. My bet would be on the teacher having an issue.

rlu
02-12-2018, 12:23 PM
DS had a teacher allergic to citrus. No cuties, etc., allowed in the room. I don't remember if he just couldn't have them in the room out in the open or not even in his backpack.

Globetrotter
02-12-2018, 01:13 PM
Ok, must be the teacher. Gosh, I have never thought of it from the perspective of an educator ��
it must be tough.. either way.

Corie
02-12-2018, 01:42 PM
My first thought was maybe the stickiness factor of citrus.

But a citrus allergy makes more sense.

vonfirmath
02-12-2018, 02:03 PM
I recently saw a sign at a high school that says no citrus within 30 feet. I assume within 30 ft of that classroom? I’ve never seen anything like that and assume it’s a food allergy?? But wondering how that would work.. does the kid stay in one room all the time? 😬
Maybe it’s something else altogether but we were curious.. it got me thinking about rare food allergies. One kid in 2nd grade had a deadly allergy to Lima beans. We tend to be careful of nuts but it must be hard to avoid things like citrus and Lima beans, since people don’t think to point them out.

My son has a classmate with a sunflower oil allergy that we have twice run afoul of! (The first time it made it to school and the teacher intercepted it. It didn't even occur to me to check the fruit snacks for allergy. Because of that, I checked the Hershey Hugs he was going to send Valentines Day last night and they have sunflower oil as well so they won't be going to school!)