PDA

View Full Version : Bra size confusion

diamond
02-21-2018, 02:36 PM
i am relatively small chested and right now have terrible bras. I just measured according to instructions and based on the measurements I am 2 different sizes on 2 different websites.

Herroom.com -32B
Breakout Bras-30DD or 30E

Now I am totally confused as to what size I am? anyone have trouble like that? what would you do?

lizzywednesday
02-21-2018, 02:50 PM
Get fitted in person and try on a bunch. That's a drastic size differential!

I know a lot of folks swear by Breakout Bras' instructions, but I tried it myself and got different results every time. Maybe I was in a rush!

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Ive never gotten a good measurement on myself. This worked though- I looked up solutions to my biggest bra complaint (shoulders slipping off, in my case) and followed that advice (in my case, go down a band size). Much better! It can help to just ID what troubles your having and work from there vs trying to get an all new measurement.
Brands really don’t fit differently so you still need to experiment. eta they really do fit differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
02-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Try in person if you can, preferably a local lingerie shop or somewhere like Nordstrom. If that isn't possible I'd try a store with free online returns like Nordstrom and buy a style in the various sizes. Be prepared to spend a bit of $$ but it's so worth it to get a bra that fits well and your clothes will fit better.

Don't even bother with Victoria's Secret or probably Soma either because they won't have much of any stock in the 30EE band size and IME stores without my size magically change my measurement to something they do carry that doesn't actually fit well.

I haven't explored it but I've heard good things about this reddit forum too: https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/

connor_mommy
02-21-2018, 07:44 PM
I just went to Nordstroms a few days ago and the lady who did the fitting was awesome. So worth it if you have the time. I ended up with a Natori and Chantelle bras. They were a bit pricey, but the fit was comfortable and good.

c&j04
02-21-2018, 11:10 PM
Have you tried these instructions? (http://www.abrathatfits.org/brasizecalculator.php)
I was wearing the wrong size before I followed this link. Having more than two measurements helped me find the right size

Neatfreak
02-22-2018, 12:47 AM
Have you tried these instructions? (http://www.abrathatfits.org/brasizecalculator.php)
I was wearing the wrong size before I followed this link. Having more than two measurements helped me find the right size

I recommend this, as well. Old school measuring techniques involve adding 2-4 inches to your band size, which reduces the cup size that you'll get. I think that's what's going on a bit with your size recommendations. A tighter band and bigger cup definitely fit me better, even though it was a bit mind-boggling at first.

lizzywednesday
02-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Brands really don’t fit differently so you still need to experiment.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here.

I've actually found that some brands' bands do fit differently - Fredericks of Hollywood, for example, runs small (I'm a 38 in just about every other brand, but a Fredericks 38 is just plain not right; and, yes, I'm using the loosest set of hooks) - so that's part of why I recommend trying on a bunch of different brands at a fitting.

The other thing about brands and styles is that there feels like there's a lot of variation in the volume of each cup, especially if one has a fuller chest, so a cup that runneth over might need a different style bra. Volume-wise, I like Chantelle, Natori, and, strangely enough, the Stunning Support line at Soma has been great. (Currently wearing a G-cup.)

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2018, 10:42 AM
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here.

I've actually found that some brands' bands do fit differently - Fredericks of Hollywood, for example, runs small (I'm a 38 in just about every other brand, but a Fredericks 38 is just plain not right; and, yes, I'm using the loosest set of hooks) - so that's part of why I recommend trying on a bunch of different brands at a fitting.

The other thing about brands and styles is that there feels like there's a lot of variation in the volume of each cup, especially if one has a fuller chest, so a cup that runneth over might need a different style bra. Volume-wise, I like Chantelle, Natori, and, strangely enough, the Stunning Support line at Soma has been great. (Currently wearing a G-cup.)

Typo! Brands do fit differently!!

legaleagle
02-22-2018, 12:07 PM
This quiz is very helpful - https://www.herroom.com/know-your-breasts/Questions.aspx If you're in the DC/Baltimore area Bra-La-La in Fulton Md has amazing fitters/selection.

Also, do not be afraid of 3 part cup bras, they fit many people much much better than molded cups and are more supportive. You can get some that are more lined for modesty though my favorites are not, and I am a 32F. Bonus is they're easier to wash.

diamond
02-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Checked according to the a bra that fits and it says I am 30DDD/G. I think I will go try a bunch in stores. I breast fed both my kids and my ds till he was 3. Not sure if its the reason but my breasts are so saggy and soft and my biggest number was when I was leaning.

legaleagle
02-22-2018, 12:32 PM
Probably bf + age - I think everyone sags after a certain point, sadly.

NCGrandma
02-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Probably bf + age - I think everyone sags after a certain point, sadly.

No kidding!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

twowhat?
03-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Yeah my boobs are super soft and saggy after BF twins. I measured according to breakoutbras and also went to a Nordstrom to get measured. My breakoutbras measurement and the Nordstrom measurement were the same (28DD).

The rib cage size should be the easiest thing to measure - around your rib cage just under the breast tissue. Don't fill your lungs with air but don't empty them either - just halfway, and make sure the tape is parallel to the ground.

The cup size is tough when you have really soft breasts and you just have to start with one and try a few different styles in that size.

Anyway, 28DD seems to be right for me. I like to scour the breakoutbras selections, particularly the ones that Melissa comments on because she notes if a particular style is good for round, full breasts or for soft or shallow-on-top breasts which I have found HUGELY helpful. I'm usually able to get clearanced stuff on Amazon (discontinued colors/prints).

The bras that work well for me are the ones that have a higher gore (the center piece) because my boobs seem to like to scoot out of the center of bras since they're so soft. Also, the bras that hug to the upper chest work better as well. No plunge styles for me - the balcony styles work better as long as the cups are fuller coverage (none of that super shallow balcony stuff!).

And this bikini top style from Freya works SO well for me...so well that I often wear it as a regular bra in the summer:) There are lots of different colors available on Amazon if you look.
https://www.breakoutbras.com/products/freya-spirit-sweetheart-padded-bikini-top-black-3902?variant=34277462799

eta: before I discovered breakoutbras, I was wearing a 32C (conventional measurement)!!! It was mind-boggling how much better things were once I got the right size!