PDA

View Full Version : Help for solar system project

Tammy
03-25-2018, 02:25 PM
DD’s 5th grade project is solar system model. Have directions from her teacher and told to “change mm to cm.” Maybe I’m over thinking this or I’m just tired, but I see this one of two ways and both don’t work based on smallest planet size or largest.
Here’s the part I need help on. I’m going to reference the model diameters in her textbook for just Pluto 2mm and Jupiter 143mm.
A: if convert mm to cm, then Pluto is 0.2cm and Jupiter to 14.3cm. Except a model size at 0.2cm isn’t going to happen realistically. Too small!
B: if stay with same numbers but change mm to cm, then Pluto is 2cm and Jupiter is 143cm. Too big for model Jupiter!

What am I missing here???? I’ve googled and searched...no luck. If you made it this far and understand, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellies mom
03-25-2018, 02:54 PM
DD’s 5th grade project is solar system model. Have directions from her teacher and told to “change mm to cm.” Maybe I’m over thinking this or I’m just tired, but I see this one of two ways and both don’t work based on smallest planet size or largest.
Here’s the part I need help on. I’m going to reference the model diameters in her textbook for just Pluto 2mm and Jupiter 143mm.
A: if convert mm to cm, then Pluto is 0.2cm and Jupiter to 14.3cm. Except a model size at 0.2cm isn’t going to happen realistically. Too small!
B: if stay with same numbers but change mm to cm, then Pluto is 2cm and Jupiter is 143cm. Too big for model Jupiter!

What am I missing here???? I’ve googled and searched...no luck. If you made it this far and understand, thanks!

I would go with a 0.2 cm Pluto. It won’t be a bad as you think. You could find a bead and glue the tip of a wire into the hole or even make a small ball out of clay and stick a wire into it. It will set up a better scale for the rest of the planets than a 143cm Jupiter.

niccig
03-25-2018, 03:14 PM
It’s A. Find a small bead with diameter close to 2mm. I thought I teacher said to convert to cm as it’s easier to measure 14.3cm then 143mm. And in my experience metric conversions confuse many people as not familiar with metric.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

sariana
03-25-2018, 04:20 PM
C! Pluto is no longer a planet and doesn't need to be included. :-)

(Or go with A.)

Tammy
03-25-2018, 05:09 PM
Thanks for replies!!! We have the various sizes of styrofoam balls so will shave down smaller.
Sariana- I know I asked her about Pluto! It’s still in her book with model measurements and they have to include for this project. Thanks!

KrisM
03-25-2018, 07:55 PM

(Or go with A.)

That's what I was going to say :)

vonfirmath
03-26-2018, 09:26 AM

(Or go with A.)

Yeah. I'm just as happy to model a solar system with Pluto. I cannot reconcile myself to a solar system without Pluto.

bisous
03-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Yeah. I'm just as happy to model a solar system with Pluto. I cannot reconcile myself to a solar system without Pluto.

I forget sometimes too! But it has been demoted from planet status for 12 years so sorta surprising that the school requires it!