PDA

View Full Version : Need recs for "fun" color permanent hair dye

corrie23
03-27-2018, 09:22 AM
My middle one got the bottom 6" of her hair bleached and dyed about 6 weeks ago. The color lasted a few weeks and she enjoyed the "blonde" ends for a while, but now she wants purple, and next red, then blue again....I would appreciate recommendations for a good dye to use at home as I expect we'll be doing this every 3 weeks or so for quite a while. I color my own hair at home so I'm pretty comfortable with the process. I use a "gentler" less toxic brand, but I think that's probably a pipe dream for "fun" colors. I'm less concerned about chemicals for her hair since it's just the ends and won't contact her skin while processing, but if a brand smells awful/overwhelmingly chemically or perfumey during processing, that's probably not a good fit. Want something with vibrant colors with good staying power (knowing that it's all relative with bold colors). Have access to Sally's Beauty, Target, Amazon, and the basic stores. Any tips for dying ends with bold colors at home appreciated too.

ArizonaGirl
03-27-2018, 10:32 AM
I used loreal colorista on both my kids and it started for a good long while and we only condition which helps a lot.

ellies mom
03-27-2018, 11:38 AM
My middle one got the bottom 6" of her hair bleached and dyed about 6 weeks ago. The color lasted a few weeks and she enjoyed the "blonde" ends for a while, but now she wants purple, and next red, then blue again....I would appreciate recommendations for a good dye to use at home as I expect we'll be doing this every 3 weeks or so for quite a while. I color my own hair at home so I'm pretty comfortable with the process. I use a "gentler" less toxic brand, but I think that's probably a pipe dream for "fun" colors. I'm less concerned about chemicals for her hair since it's just the ends and won't contact her skin while processing, but if a brand smells awful/overwhelmingly chemically or perfumey during processing, that's probably not a good fit. Want something with vibrant colors with good staying power (knowing that it's all relative with bold colors). Have access to Sally's Beauty, Target, Amazon, and the basic stores. Any tips for dying ends with bold colors at home appreciated too.

I like colorista also. I just redo it every week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
03-27-2018, 12:33 PM
My gut feeling is Manic Panic (sold online and at Hot Topic) - it doesn't smell like chemicals (I always thought it smelled like fingerpaint), colors run the gamut from pastels to bold/neon, and it's been around forever. Hot Topic also sells another brand, but I don't remember its name - same deal.

If you're doing it at home, buy disposable gloves (you can get these anywhere) and a tint brush (have seen them at Sally or similar stores.)

I haven't tried Colorista, but I've seen it, so no recommendations!

pinkmomagain
03-27-2018, 02:01 PM
My college-aged daughter got rose gold ombre at the bottom of her hair but I was trying to figure out an economical, convenient way for her to redeposit color as the original started to fade. I came across Overtone and we love it. So many options, healthy for her hair (so soft after a treatment!). Its a conditioner that can be used daily and there is a weekly more intensive treatment too. I order it online for her.https://overtone.co/

JustMe
03-27-2018, 09:35 PM
OP, I don't have any suggestions, but was wondering if you could share the gentler brand you use. Sorry if you have shared this elsewhere before. I am always researching and havent yet found a way to use a gentler brand on myself.

corrie23
03-28-2018, 11:29 PM
OP, I don't have any suggestions, but was wondering if you could share the gentler brand you use. Sorry if you have shared this elsewhere before. I am always researching and havent yet found a way to use a gentler brand on myself.

I use Herbatint at home https://usa.herbatint.com/en