PDA

View Full Version : Vegan and gluten free friendly staff meeting snack help

wendibird22
03-27-2018, 11:29 AM
I have a staff of 12. We have a weekly staff meeting in the morning and rotate snack "duty." I used to be the only "problem child" when it came to snack ideas as I'm GF. We have added 2 new staff members and 1 is vegetarian and 1 is vegan. Prior to the vegan coming on staff other staffers' go-to in addition to some traditional item like coffee cake was to bring GF crackers and cheese. That made sure there was something for me and everyone else around the table liked cheese too. But a baked good and cheese/crackers leaves the vegan out. I'm thinking maybe fruit, yogurt (for the non-vegans), GF granola? Other ideas? It doesn't have to be breakfasty...could be savory too. Hummus?

trcy
03-27-2018, 11:56 AM
Veggies and hummus (I love those mini sweet peppers with hummus)
Coconut yogurt, even my meat eating DH loves So Delicious brand
Be carful with granola, a lot contain butter and honey
Not GF, but these pancakes are delicious. I mixed in 1/4 cup of vegan chocolate chips, they don’t need syrup http://www.colourfulpalate.com/2011/06/22/vegan-banana-oatmeal-pancakes/
I’ll keep thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
03-27-2018, 12:21 PM
Popcorn with various mix ins or sprinkle powders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aa2mama
03-27-2018, 12:51 PM
I like the fruit, popcorn, veggies and hummus ideas.

If anyone feels like cooking, I like the Glo Bars from Angela Liddon's Oh She Glows cookbooks. They can all be made vegan (make sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips) and gluten-free (use GF oats and GF rice crisp cereal). Here is a link to the Classic Glo Bar:

http://www.chatelaine.com/health/healthy-recipes-health/angela-liddon-vegan-energy-bar/

BunnyBee
03-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole
Hummus with veggies and GF crackery things
Roasted chickpeas (Costco now carries them in a big zipper bag)
Crockpot/instant pot of oatmeal and mix-ins
Baked oatmeal and toppings https://minimalistbaker.com/toasted-coconut-baked-oatmeal/ -- I've had success with her recipes. Lots of GF and all vegan?
Aussie Bites (also Costco on the cereal aisle usually)--sorry these have butter! There are recipes online, and you could easily replace the butter to DIY.

These muffins can be made with a flax egg: https://www.averiecooks.com/2013/10/flourless-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-mini-blender-muffins.html# (they're best freshly made)
"French toast" casserole type things with no eggs and GF bread http://veggieprimer.com/blueberry-breakfast-casserole/
Various potato casseroles

Charlie
03-27-2018, 03:15 PM
I would not bake for the vegan if they are vegan for animal rights reasons. I know strict vegans who would likely not eat anything from a non-vegan household that was not packaged.

TwinFoxes
03-27-2018, 03:32 PM
I'd be the office grump and suggest no snacks. I don't think I've ever had snacks at a regularly scheduled work meeting. Why can't people just bring their own snacks if they're hungry? I mean, how long are these meetings that grown ups can't survive? (Not to mention, snacks probably add time to meetings.)

That said, I'd probably do a dips and salsa bar. Chips, salsa, guacamole, hummus, veggies.

marymoo86
03-27-2018, 03:57 PM
I'd be the office grump and suggest no snacks. I don't think I've ever had snacks at a regularly scheduled work meeting. Why can't people just bring their own snacks if they're hungry? I mean, how long are these meetings that grown ups can't survive? (Not to mention, snacks probably add time to meetings.)

That said, I'd probably do a dips and salsa bar. Chips, salsa, guacamole, hummus, veggies.

I was thinking the same thing - aside from coffee, it is just weird having and watching people eat at a meeting.

NCGrandma
03-27-2018, 04:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing - aside from coffee, it is just weird having and watching people eat at a meeting.

Maybe I’ve been retired too long, but I definitely agree. We had numerous meetings, and most people brought coffee, but that was it except for lunch meetings, when everyone just brought their own lunch.

Back in the Dark Ages before the med school banned drug reps, there was always tons of food of all sorts lying around, but most of it certainly did not meet anyone’s definition of healthy eating!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

doberbrat
03-27-2018, 06:23 PM

Me too! Hummus and veggies in the am sounds gross to me. popcorn too.

you could do a fruit platter? But honestly, I think its time for BYOSnack. Or have an assortment and let everyone have whatever least offends them.

DualvansMommy
03-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Seconding me to the office grump too. With that big of a group and it’s morning meeting, I’ve no desire to eat hummus, tortilla chips with salsa options.

In addition to the dietary requirements; in your case, GF, vegan and vegetarian. I’m surprised no one else mentioned this so far. But for me with work staff meetings especially in the AM, I’ve no desire to eat anything but coffee. If I had to eat something, it’s fruit. Easiest the safest and gentle option on my sensitive tummy. I also follow as a lifestyle change due to numerous allergies in my household and my GI issues almost whole30 diet. Some months I follow it to a T and other months I follow it more loosely and end up more like paleo like eating habits.

I would make it a group vote in your next meeting to determine the feedback of your peers. Maybe they’ll be relieved to see this stop and just kept it going out of forced good citizen sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TwinFoxes
03-28-2018, 12:12 AM
Me too! Hummus and veggies in the am sounds gross to me. popcorn too.

you could do a fruit platter? But honestly, I think its time for BYOSnack. Or have an assortment and let everyone have whatever least offends them.

Yeah, I hear you re: hummus or popcorn in the morning. But I just can't come up with much that's vegan AND gluten free. BYO really seems like the best solution. Even if my co-workers didn't have food restrictions, I'd be annoyed that I had to supply snacks even once every few months. I fully realized I may be in the minority, but I just don't see why it's necessary. It seems like a PITA to me. Pre-Kids, people would have gotten a to-go coffee urn from Starbucks and a couple of bunches of bananas from me. At least now I'd be used to putting in an effort. :)

carolinacool
03-28-2018, 07:50 AM
I would make it a group vote in your next meeting to determine the feedback of your peers. Maybe they’ll be relieved to see this stop and just kept it going out of forced good citizen sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know it's not the question that the OP asked, but I totally agree with this. Run a quick anonymous survey and I bet you'll find most people are fine letting this go. I completely understand dietary restrictions, but it also makes it that much more complicated than just grabbing a box of donuts or bagels on the way until the office. For all we know, the vegan might not have any interest in eating hummus or popcorn first thing in the morning, either.

wendibird22
03-28-2018, 08:36 AM
I hear you all loud and clear about doing away with the snacks. I agree and I think many would probably be relieved. I'm not sure I'm in a position to suggest eliminating the tradition. The department has been together for almost 20 years and it has just always been a thing...I guess making it more informal and collegial. It's the type of meeting where we just go around the room and give an update and it's the only time each week that we are all face to face. So the meeting is social as much as it is productive. And back when it started there were no food restrictions so grabbing bagels or dunkin donuts was the easy go-to. Sometimes people bake coffee cake or bring in a dessert if it's someone's birthday. Not everyone accommodates my GF needs and I'm fine with that. The vegan is new to staff and hasn't set up expectations of being accommodated either. But I want to be sensitive to people's needs and do my best to not leave someone out. And yes it ends up being more lots of little things than 1 single item that meets everyone's needs. So a bag of clementines, some cheese, GF and regular crackers, and a some danish would be typical.

klwa
03-28-2018, 11:12 AM

Another one of these. While people sometimes bring treats into the office (like I brought doughnuts this morning), there's no expectation that any staff meetings will have a snack. I think it might be time to trim the snacks from the meeting.

carolinacool
03-28-2018, 11:23 AM
I hear you all loud and clear about doing away with the snacks. I agree and I think many would probably be relieved. I'm not sure I'm in a position to suggest eliminating the tradition. The department has been together for almost 20 years and it has just always been a thing...I guess making it more informal and collegial. It's the type of meeting where we just go around the room and give an update and it's the only time each week that we are all face to face. So the meeting is social as much as it is productive. And back when it started there were no food restrictions so grabbing bagels or dunkin donuts was the easy go-to. Sometimes people bake coffee cake or bring in a dessert if it's someone's birthday. Not everyone accommodates my GF needs and I'm fine with that. The vegan is new to staff and hasn't set up expectations of being accommodated either. But I want to be sensitive to people's needs and do my best to not leave someone out. And yes it ends up being more lots of little things than 1 single item that meets everyone's needs. So a bag of clementines, some cheese, GF and regular crackers, and a some danish would be typical.

Are there old-timer staffers? I can see how something like this starts. But then as it's passed down and the staff turns over, no one really knows why they are still doing it. But they keep doing it. lol

But if you keep doing it, I guess I would figure out a way so that people don't feel like they have to bring in three or four things. I just think that's a lot to ask of people who are just trying to attend a staff meeting.

wendibird22
03-28-2018, 12:44 PM
Are there old-timer staffers? I can see how something like this starts. But then as it's passed down and the staff turns over, no one really knows why they are still doing it. But they keep doing it. lol

But if you keep doing it, I guess I would figure out a way so that people don't feel like they have to bring in three or four things. I just think that's a lot to ask of people who are just trying to attend a staff meeting.

About half of us are the originals who've been doing this a LONG time. The other are quite new. I know I personally don't care if someone brings an item that I can't eat. I don't feel entitled to having my dietary needs met and I'd guess the vegan feels the same. But we are also all big on inclusion, acceptance, etc and so I think everyone feels compelled to make sure no one is excluded. But yes bringing a handful of different items can be a pain not to mention can be expensive!

mom_hanna
03-28-2018, 03:08 PM
I agree with doing away with food at the meetings, but if you have to bring it, I'd just bring a bunch of fruit and call it good.