PDA

View Full Version : Recommend good dvd movie for 11 yr old DD?

Tammy
03-28-2018, 02:05 PM
Looking for good movie ideas. She's not a girly-girl, not into the Disney princess stuff anymore, not cartoons either. She's enjoyed AG shows in the past, but over them now. For tv shows she likes KC Undercover, Andi Mack, Stuck in the Middle, Bunk'd, etc. She loves the House Hunter and Fixer Upper shows too, and the Caribbean Life episodes and loves to watch those with me. Loves Pitch Perfect movies. Nothing scary though.

khalloc
03-28-2018, 02:06 PM
both my kids loved the new Jumanji movie.

Reyadawnbringer
03-28-2018, 02:07 PM
My son loves the princess bride.

DS1 - 9!
DS2- Expected 07/18

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2018, 02:23 PM
The new Jumanji is so much fun!

My kiddo likes almost all the Marvel movies.
Harry Potter.

Tenasparkl
03-28-2018, 02:25 PM
Some of those Disney Channel movies are fun - Descendants, Lemonade Mouth, Invisible Sister etc.

Mine also likes the Harry Potter and Star Wars movies. She's also getting really into watching The Simpsons.

123LuckyMom
03-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Princess Bride, Descendants, Ella Enchanted, princess Diaries (I know this is a lot of Princess-y titles, but they’re not very princess-y movies— sort of anti-princess.) Shrek, Maleficent (?), Labyrinth, Sky High, Enchanted. Also type those titles into Google (Sky High like movie) and it’ll give you a bunch more.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DietCokeLover
03-28-2018, 02:32 PM
My DD loves the Narnia movies, Wonder, Cheaper by the Dozen, Freaky Friday, The Parent Trap, Flubber, Beethoven, nd Percy Jackson.

mm123
03-28-2018, 03:19 PM
My DD's love the Pitch Perfect movies, and other musical movies. Grease, Mamma Mia, Annie, High School Musical (x3), Hairspray, Sound of Music. They also still sometimes sometimes watch the Muppet movies for fun.

maestramommy
03-28-2018, 03:22 PM
My kids love Sing! Also Princess Bride, Miyazaki movies (Ponyo, Nausicaa of the Valley, Castle in the Sky).

ETA: Labyrinth also gets repeated play around here.

hbridge
03-28-2018, 05:13 PM
The 2003 made for TV version of A Wrinkle in Time. DC and I saw the new version and, apart from the Happy Medium, so much prefer the older movie!

Also... Cool Running's, Andre, Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Narnia, Wonder, My Girl (but warning the ending is sad), Bridge to Terabithia (not spelled correctly, also sad ending)...

fauve01
03-28-2018, 08:56 PM
National Treasure is my DD's fav. there is a great sequel also.

lizzywednesday
03-28-2018, 09:51 PM
...Ponyo...

ETA: Labyrinth also gets repeated play around here.

Ponyo made me cry many, many, many tears. It's a lovely film.

Labyrinth is one of my favorites, though it's got some spooky/scary moments. (Waiting to let DD watch; she's only 8, though, so no rush.)

american_mama
03-28-2018, 09:53 PM
For live action movies, Fly Away Home, Queen of Katwe, Akeelah and the Bee are three that are meaningful and age-appropriate, but the only one I've seen is AKeelah and the Bee (which I liked but my kids were neutral about.) These might be enjoyable for adults too and not previously seen by kids. Gifted is one I haven't seen, but I love the trailer (it's about a girl genius being pulled between two worlds).

My animal-lover DD2 liked Hachi (dog story, kind of sad), Marley and Me (sad at end) at that age. Marley and Me is about the happy life of a family dog, but it was too much at the end for DD2 who wasn't feeling the "it's all part of the cycle of life" theme. My sister's kids recommended 8 Below at that age (sled dogs, but one dies helping his team) and I didn't think my animal lover could take it so haven't seen it.

For kid movies, The Incredibles, Bolt, Ratatoille, any Toy Story, Race to Witch Mountain, Ponyo, Guardians of the Galaxy 1.

Stranger Things is a very good series on Netflix. It's a mystery and monster movie and is scary, but not terrifying. The friendships portrayed are very good.

There is a found footage film starring tweens, for tweens, that features mild jump scares. My DD1 liked it at that age, as did her shy friend. eta: After lots of googling, I finally found the title.... Earth to Echo.

sariana
03-28-2018, 10:34 PM
How about a really old one? The Journey of Natty Gann. It's about a very independent teen girl who goes in search of her father. It's a period piece (1930s), so it won't be dated other than maybe the quality of the film transfer.

magnoliaparadise
03-29-2018, 04:19 AM
Thank you for posting OP - these replies are great! I am writing many down that my kids have not watched!

We have watched and loved many already listed here - especially Descendants and Pitch Perfect (though some vulgar language and sexual innuendo) and Cool Runnings (really sweet story about Jamaican bob sledders which my kids loved). Princess Diaries (especially the first) was really well done and although about a princess, my kids loved it.

My favorite probably are the American Girl Doll Movies - these are GREAT - very well done and always age appropriate and with a great message and the parents always say the right things... they are in movie form (Lea, Grace, Isabella, Saige, McKenna, Kit, Molly, Samatha, Felicity, Chrissa) and cover all sorts of topics, including bullying. Then there are some shorter AG movies which I can never quite figure out - they are either on AG Youtube or Amazon (Maryellen, Julie, Melody Ellison, Ivy and Julie) - one covers racism really well. This is a link to a wikepedia page that talks about all the movies. The Youtube and Amazon ones are not widely known and are just as good as the others:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Girl_(film_series)

My kids also loved (I think these haven't been mentioned yet):
Balto
Zombies (Disney and not at all scary),
Legally Blonde (they LOVE both movies and there is a third 'legally blondeS' which looks awful, but they'll probably also watch it),
Mrs. Doubtfire (sweet because it's family oriented so my father watched it with them and they were all laughing together),
Shaggy DA (not sure if that's the title, but something like that - more recent version is better),
Ramona the Great,
Willy Wonka and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,
Big (one scene I forgot about in which boy in man's body touches woman's bra-covered-breast which my kids thought was gross so maybe for an older kid),
ET (6 yo liked it, 10 yo did not at all),
Hidden Figures - I was watching this on my own and my 10 year old ended up just watching with me and LOVED this one and asked a huge number of questions, making me think I should increase the level of the movies she is watching and try to get some more genre of historical fiction.
The Finding Nemo and then Dory movies - they still like those
The Tinkerbell movies - they are a little young and all cartoon, but quite honestly, very well done and if my kids hadn't watched them yet, I think they would still watch and lo
How to Tame A Dragon
Kung Fu movies
Cinderella (I know it's a fairy tale and your daughter is sick of those, but it was very well done)
Spy Kids - my younger one likes it, but my older one finds parts creepy.

magnoliaparadise
03-29-2018, 04:57 AM
For live action movies, Fly Away Home, Queen of Katwe, Akeelah and the Bee are three that are meaningful and age-appropriate, but the only one I've seen is AKeelah and the Bee (which I liked but my kids were neutral about.) These might be enjoyable for adults too and not previously seen by kids. Gifted is one I haven't seen, but I love the trailer (it's about a girl genius being pulled between two worlds).

We saw Akeelah and the Bee and my kids liked it. We also saw Queen of Katwe and my kids liked this one a lot. We didn't see the others, but I don't think I will have my kids see "Gifted". I assumed it was more of an adult film.

Reyadawnbringer
03-29-2018, 06:10 AM
One other one that I just remembered that DS liked is The Martian.

I was watching it on my own one morning before DS got up and when he woke up he came put and watched with me. There is some language and one intense scene where he has to provide medical attention for himself that I thought would bother DS because he can be a little sensitive, but it didn't bother him at all. He watched the whole movie and loved it.

He was 8 at the time, so maybe it would be just fine for an 11yo?

DS1 - 9!
DS2- Expected 07/18

sariana
03-29-2018, 09:25 AM
We saw Akeelah and the Bee and my kids liked it. We also saw Queen of Katwe and my kids liked this one a lot. We didn't see the others, but I don't think I will have my kids see "Gifted". I assumed it was more of an adult film.

My 13-year-old DS and 10-year-old DD liked Gifted (especially my non-neurotypical DS), but it does have some language (IIRC) and a scene where the little girl catches her adoptive dad/uncle after he's spent the night with her teacher (sorry for the spoiler, but it's good for a parent to know). The Common Sense review for this movie was really good and helpful to me.

A PP mentioned How to Train Your Dragon, which is a favorite in my house (adults too!). It's very different from the book, though, so if anyone has read the book, don't expect the same story.

My kids also both liked Hidden Figures, also mentioned by the same PP.

Cam&Clay
03-29-2018, 12:51 PM
both my kids loved the new Jumanji movie.

We watched this as a family a few nights ago and absolutely loved it! Hilarious and sweet!

Tenasparkl
03-29-2018, 01:36 PM
My kids also both liked Hidden Figures, also mentioned by the same PP.

I forgot about Hidden Figures and Wonder. Loved them both!

SnuggleBuggles
03-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Hidden Figures was great! We love The Martian too but if you don't like swearing, I guess skip it (which is a shame because it's really a good movie :)).

fauve01
03-29-2018, 02:54 PM
I just remembered the Nanny McPhee movies. those are great.
Also, along the lines of the Percy Jackson movies, there is the Nicolas Cage movie "The Sorcerer's Apprentice."
Has anyone mentioned the Night at the Museum series? those are great.

That is around the age we started watching the TV show "Once Upon a Time" (still running on ABC). Highly recommend!

ETA: just remembered McFarland USA, The Rookie, Secretariat (my dd loves horses!), The Help

SnuggleBuggles
03-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Just remembered Matilda
Totally agree with fauve's suggestions too

magnoliaparadise
03-30-2018, 05:12 AM
OK, a few more...

More movies that we have seen which the kids liked are:
Heidi (kids didn't love it, but liked it enough and watched with grandparents)
National Velvet (same as above, but liked a bit more)
Honey I Shrunk the Kids - My kids LOVED this. I don't think they have watched the sequel(s) yet.
Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Lion King (a little scary for my DD)
Babe
Tangled
Frozen (of course, and now sick of it)
Elf (very silly, but cute holiday movie)
Moana
Matilda - Yes, agree with SnuggleBuggles

Ones that are on our list to see that haven't been mentioned here are:
Ferdinand
Miracle on 34th Street
Back to the Future
Black Beauty
Karate Kid
Homeward Bound
Home Alone
Monsters Inc (I LOVED this movie/sequels when I saw it)
Harry Potter
Star Wars

One last thing: A great TV series for kids which although not a movie is really good and like a movie IMHO is Just Add Magic. The first season or two were great. By the end, I thought the writers were grasping for straws a bit. I was actually hooked on it last year to the point that we were visiting my sister and BIL one vacation and they asked what I was doing on the computer all the time... mortifying to admit I was binge watching a kids' show, but I swear, that's how good it was. It does have some scary parts here and there, but doable and more creepy unknown scary, not gruesome.

magnoliaparadise
03-30-2018, 05:13 AM
Duplicate

american_mama
03-30-2018, 06:21 AM
Funny that two posters mention swearing in The Martian. I don't remember any swearing except twice, and you don't hear him swear either time. One scene is when the astronaut discovers NASA didn't tell his crewmates that he's alive and he swears, but the camera switches to outside the rover he's in, so you see him swear and clearly be angry, but don't hear it. Then he immediately types a swear word answer back to NASA, which you also don't see, but the characters in mission control react to. There is one more scene where characters say the astronaut has a habit of telling NASA experts "to have sex with themsleves" when they try to tell him from earth what to do on Mars, but you don't see the typing or the reacting.

I particularly noted the way these scenes were filmed because I thought the movie was trying very hard to not have a swear word said aloud, but not making the movie seem too sanitized.

I don't recall any other swearing at all in the movie.

I love The Martian.

KrisM
03-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Funny that two posters mention swearing in The Martian. I don't remember any swearing except twice, and you don't hear him swear either time. One scene is when the astronaut discovers NASA didn't tell his crewmates that he's alive and he swears, but the camera switches to outside the rover he's in, so you see him swear and clearly be angry, but don't hear it. Then he immediately types a swear word answer back to NASA, which you also don't see, but the characters in mission control react to. There is one more scene where characters say the astronaut has a habit of telling NASA experts "to have sex with themsleves" when they try to tell him from earth what to do on Mars, but you don't see the typing or the reacting.

I particularly noted the way these scenes were filmed because I thought the movie was trying very hard to not have a swear word said aloud, but not making the movie seem too sanitized.

I don't recall any other swearing at all in the movie.

I love The Martian.

I found this, which is pretty interesting to read. It tells how the movie remained PG-13, even after speaking F--- twice in the movie, plus more times as you listed above. https://nofilmschool.com/2015/10/how-martian-cleverly-drops-multiple-f-bombs-and-still-gets-pg-13-rating

SnuggleBuggles
03-30-2018, 09:08 AM
Just Add Magic is ds2’s and I favorite show together. We binged it both times a season was released.
There’s the reliables (for us) too of Amazing Race, Survivor, Worst Cooks in America and lots of other TV shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twoboos
03-30-2018, 09:19 AM
Lots of good ideas here, I don't think I saw the Night at the Museum movies mentioned.

lizzywednesday
03-31-2018, 10:51 PM
How about a really old one? The Journey of Natty Gann. It's about a very independent teen girl who goes in search of her father. It's a period piece (1930s), so it won't be dated other than maybe the quality of the film transfer.

I wish I'd seen this earlier - TCM ran this the other night as part of their quarterly "Treasures from the Disney Vault" presentations (I set my DVR) and I remember wanting to see it more than anything my little 7-year-old heart desired the year it was released. I'm so excited it was on TV!

Tammy
03-31-2018, 11:42 PM
Thanks guys, these are awesome suggestions and I’m writing them down! Funny I see lots of my favs here mentioned like Miracle on 34th Street, Heidi, karate Kid, Cool Runnings, Willie Wonka. So many new ones I haven’t seen or heard of so thanks!!

magnoliaparadise
04-01-2018, 06:09 AM
I love seeing all these movies, too, so thank you OP. You probably already know, but CommonSense Media site is great for giving information about movies and appropriateness for kids. I find their ratings a little conservative (when they say a movie is good for a 12 year old and up, that's often a 10 year old in my book), but very good.

From this list, I watched The Martian. Wow. What a good film. I couldn't stop thinking about it. So far, my kids don't want to see it because they didn't like when I told them about the one scary part (Matt Damon taking care of his wound), but I think they will watch it soon.

My kids watched Wonder Woman after I read this list. They LOVED it (ironic, since it's more violent than The Martain).

One last movie to recommend is the Hobbit Series... I have friends whose kids love the Hobbit movie (and sequels? not sure there are).

TwoBees
04-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Hook is a great family movie.

AnnieW625
04-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Dd2 has also seen most of these, plus a lot of what was listed in prior posts.

Miracle (this is Dd1’s favorite movie....)
The Mighty Ducks 1 & 2
Back to The Future
Goonies (Dd2 has not seen this)
Ghostbusters (original; haven’t seen the new one)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (haven’t seen the first one because it isn’t on Netflix)
Moana
Wonder Woman
Parent Trap (have seen both versions but they usually prefer the Lindsay Lohan version)
Pollyanna
2016 PBS Anne of Green Gables
Madagascar, and Penguins movies
Despicable Me, and Minions

Dd1 watches Stranger Things constantly. I have not seen it yet as she usually watches it in her room on the iPad or on car trips.

Fuller House is okay as well.