PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about therapist in training

american_mama
03-28-2018, 09:21 PM
I am wondering whether people think I should give a therapist in training a clear reason for why we are not choosing her.

DD1, age 16, had initial meetings with an experienced psychologist and a young clinical social worker who is getting her licensure (under someone else's supervision) to decide who is the better fit. Both professionals knew that's what we were doing. DD1 probably just didn't care for the social worker overall, but the one reason she offered to me was that the social worker's style of talking seemed to be for younger kids. I was in their meeting for half the time and was surprised to hear DD1 say that, but then could kind of see it. And after all, the better judge of if someone seems to be talking too young to a teen is probably the teen, not the parent.

So, out of curiousity, do you think I should tell the social worker DD1's reason? I ask only because the social worker is in training and this is probably a fixable thing, if her judgement of appropriate for a teen is seen as too young by a teen. I will be sending the social worker the message in a text and could just say "DD1 felt your conversation style is better for younger kids...." (that sounds harsh, hmmmm, well.... I could come up with something).

If I don't say that, I will just say "DD1 felt like she had more rapport with the psychologist." I know this is easier and equally accurate, but doesn't really tell the social worker anything that could improve her practice.

123LuckyMom
03-28-2018, 09:25 PM
I would definitely offer the feedback. It’s useful information for the beginning therapist.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

pinkmomagain
03-28-2018, 09:30 PM
Having been a beginning therapist at one time, I would've appreciated such feedback.

mackmama
03-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Definitely give the feedback.

DietCokeLover
03-28-2018, 11:59 PM
Having been a beginning therapist at one time, I would've appreciated such feedback.

Yes - just say it gently but truthfully.