PDA

View Full Version : How do you get directions from your phone while driving with your hands free?

JustMe
04-01-2018, 11:44 AM
I wasn't sure how to title this, so hopefully it makes enough sense to have people read this! My state has a hands free cell phone while driving law, which I am happy about. It basically means you are not supposed to even hold the phone while driving. It seems there are ways people can still use their phones for directions when driving alone. I am a very low tech. person, so trying to figure this out. Do those cell phone holders for cars make it so you can do this? Would you then have to have the phone speak the directions? (Asking because I don't buy much data, so that could be a problem). I don't think I could see the directions if they were displayed on my dashboard due tot he distance.

thanks!

doberbrat
04-01-2018, 11:53 AM
cell phone holder on the windshield and it speaks the directions.

My aunt has limited data on her phone and she writes down the directions before leaving the house... defeats the purpose of the phone to me but works for her.

Also I think some maps use more data than others. She's said that WAZE for instance is a data hog but google maps doesnt work as well for her. idk, google works just fine for me.

JustMe
04-01-2018, 12:00 PM
cell phone holder on the windshield and it speaks the directions.

My aunt has limited data on her phone and she writes down the directions before leaving the house... defeats the purpose of the phone to me but works for her.

Also I think some maps use more data than others. She's said that WAZE for instance is a data hog but google maps doesnt work as well for her. idk, google works just fine for me.

Thanks! Yes, I generally write down the directions before leaving the house, but am starting to have different needs due to ds' soccer games/tournaments..when they will do things like change the location of an away game at the last minute...or other times when we are out and about and need to go somewhere new. Sounds like I will probably need to start buying more data.

One more question---can you put your phone on a GPS program and speak the directions you need so you don't need to punch in the address? I have a google pixel 2, so imagine there is a way to do this. However, when I try it either just gives me all the directions at once or will open the maps program but then not give me the directions.

doberbrat
04-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Thanks! Yes, I generally write down the directions before leaving the house, but am starting to have different needs due to ds' soccer games/tournaments..when they will do things like change the location of an away game at the last minute...or other times when we are out and about and need to go somewhere new. Sounds like I will probably need to start buying more data.

One more question---can you put your phone on a GPS program and speak the directions you need so you don't need to punch in the address? I have a google pixel 2, so imagine there is a way to do this. However, when I try it either just gives me all the directions at once or will open the maps program but then not give me the directions.

yes. dh does this alot. I just got a cell phone a month ago after not having one for 3yrs but I think you do it by pressing the microphone icon on google maps and just speaking and then hitting the directions button when its pops up. I've never used WAZE so cant help you there. Usually I just put the address in before I start the car since I know where I'm going before leaving so to speak.

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2018, 01:01 PM
You can download a route from google maps ahead of time to save data. Or just program it when you leave. Maybe just consider upping your data if you really need it nowadays. Or buy a stand alone GPS unit. They aren’t that $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
04-01-2018, 01:11 PM
if I were you in your desire to keep your limited data for something else; I would just buy a stand alone GPS nav like garmin which dh has in his vehicle. When driving my Subaru, I prefer to use my phone which I put it up in my air vents to hold the phone and I look at directions. can't hear the directions spoken out loud.

download familiar routes to your phone ahead of time is another way to save data. but doesn't work well for driving to unfamiliar places on the fly though, how often are you in that situation to justify increasing your data plan? hence cheaper to just buy garmin off amazon or Best Buy.

squimp
04-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Can you have your son help? My DD does a lot of the navigation when we are together. Otherwise I have a magnetic holder for the vents and I press the button once and it goes hands free. I try to start the navigation before I leave so I don't have to mess with it. I don't feel like Google Maps uses that much data.

HannaAddict
04-01-2018, 03:19 PM
I just tell my iPhone “find direction to blank” and it gives verbal step by step directions. When I use Waze on occasion, either my child inputs where we are going or input before driving and check the routes. I sometimes will just use it to check traffic patterns vs really needing directions locally. Traveling, just input before driving. Doesn’t seem complicated and data use is not an issue for me. My car also has navigation and a large screen and with CarPlay, Waze or other phone based directions come through car audio system and maps on large screen too.

ellies mom
04-01-2018, 03:42 PM
I wasn't sure how to title this, so hopefully it makes enough sense to have people read this! My state has a hands free cell phone while driving law, which I am happy about. It basically means you are not supposed to even hold the phone while driving. It seems there are ways people can still use their phones for directions when driving alone. I am a very low tech. person, so trying to figure this out. Do those cell phone holders for cars make it so you can do this? Would you then have to have the phone speak the directions? (Asking because I don't buy much data, so that could be a problem). I don't think I could see the directions if they were displayed on my dashboard due tot he distance.

thanks!
If your car has Bluetooth or a USB plug, you can have your phone give directions through the speakers. When I rent cars, I do that and just put the phone in a cupholder. My last car, didn’t have a connection so I just turned the volume up.

JustMe
04-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, ds can help--but sometimes falls asleep or we have multiple kids in the car which is not ideal. I already put in addresses before I leave, and may just keep doing it, but there are times I need to change when I am enroute. I have been managing so far. My car is from 2010 and I don't think it has blue tooth.

Garmin may be the way to go. So, can I use that hands-free, though? Also, does anyone know how you get the updates if you dont have bluetooth?

khm
04-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, ds can help--but sometimes falls asleep or we have multiple kids in the car which is not ideal. I already put in addresses before I leave, and may just keep doing it, but there are times I need to change when I am enroute. I have been managing so far. My car is from 2010 and I don't think it has blue tooth.

Garmin may be the way to go. So, can I use that hands-free, though? Also, does anyone know how you get the updates if you dont have bluetooth?

Changes en route will be a problem, unless they are vastly different than ours (its 4 years old??). That's what I hate about in-car or Garmin systems. You have to peck in a destination on a clunky screen interface and it is SO annoying. Google Maps I am usually able to just say "Navigate to _______" and hit go. And, if I've previewed it on a computer, then on my phone it shows as a "recent location", so it's just right there.

In the Toyota you can't do that at all when the car is moving, not even as a passenger. It knows there is a passenger (air bag knows), but it is completely greyed out unless you are parked. So, we never use it. For the VW/Audi it lets you put it in after accepting warning screen dialogue. I feel like the Garmin also let you peck it out, after you accepted a warning screen.

For updates, on our old one, you just had to download it on a computer and then plug the Garmin in with the computer and transfer it over. It wasn't hard at all, but it wasn't "over the air". We never did it because it was too expensive to bother with, so it's super out of date. We mainly bought it because we used it in a car where the speedometer was broken! So, we used the Garmin as a speedometer and our phones for maps. :bag I'm not sure how updates are on the new ones, maybe check their website? It used to be that the ones you could buy at Costco came with free updates, so shop around for that if you decide to go that route.

I really don't think Google Maps uses much data. I looked on my phone's data usage and for a month, Maps uses like 15-16 MB. It is WAY down on the list of apps that use data.

hwin708
04-01-2018, 08:12 PM
2010 is well beyond the widespread adoption of bluetooth in cars, so you might have it. Google your make and model and bluetooth, and you should find some info on how to determine if you do.

If I have to be strictly hands free, and didn't put in the destination before starting on the road, then I use Siri. I can just say "Hey Siri, navigate to 10 Pine Street, Pine City" and my phone starts navigating. Siri will use AppleMaps, so the map and directions will pull up on the screen, and Siri will speak them verbally. All the audio comes out through my car speakers, because of bluetooth.

If I physically entered in the destination while the car was stopped, then the phone does everything visually and verbally, and there is basically no need for me to touch it again, barring a sudden change in plans while driving.

I have one of these type of phone mounts (https://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Universal-Dashboard-Swift-Snap-Technology/dp/B01F7KNJDM/) in my car. You just slide the thin magnet into your phone case, stick the round magnet wherever it is convenient on your dash, and done. The magnet holds very well. It is not the same as mounting a screen in front of your eyes with a maneuverable arm, but I prefer not to have the phone distracting my line of sight. I only need it somewhere to occasionally glance at if I need to clarify the verbal directions. But if you prefer to look at the map more often, then an arm mount would be better.

I have been in rental cars which, for various reasons, just will not pair properly with my phone over bluetooth. In those situations, I put my phone on max volume with the speaker end into the cupholder, which amplifies the sound. It doesn't blare loud enough to be heard over a very loud radio, but it is definitely loud enough if you keep the radio somewhat low.

As others have mentioned, you can pull up your route on GoogleMaps while you are still at home over wifi. Your phone can continue to track your location on GPS without using data. You can do the same thing with Waze. The traffic info will continue to update over your data, but that is less than the initial navigation download.

That being said - even with a limited data plan, I really think you could use Waze, GoogleMaps or AppleMaps without worry. There are ample articles analyzing the topic, with the general consensus being that people who use the apps every single day tend to use 100-150mb of data in a month. That is every single day, every single time they get in the car, all using data not wifi. Waze's official statement on the topic is that it uses "up to" 4mb of data per hour. Assuming you pull up your map while initially on wifi, you will definitely be well below that 4mb per hour. And if you don't - you'll still likely be below 4mb per hour. Which is really not a lot of data. Even on a limited plan.

schrocat
04-01-2018, 08:33 PM
The stand alone GPS is amazing.

JustMe
04-01-2018, 08:56 PM
The stand alone GPS is amazing.

Schrocat, what kind do you recommend and do you know how I would get updates?

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2018, 09:15 PM
All stand alone gps devices offer map update subscriptions or annual type fees. I’ve never opted to do those.

JustMe
04-01-2018, 10:34 PM
All stand alone gps devices offer map update subscriptions or annual type fees. I’ve never opted to do those.

In looking at a Garmin Factory outlet website, there appear to be some models that come with lifetime updates.

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2018, 10:36 PM
In looking at a Garmin Factory outlet website, there appear to be some models that come with lifetime updates.

Sweet!

mom2binsd
04-01-2018, 11:51 PM
I just finished a 2200 mile road trip. I have a cell phone holder that clips to the vents, others have one that is magnet.

I used waze for the trip and it was invaluable.

I know you have mentioned not using much data/not being too tech savvy , but I'm wondering if you looked into a plan that would up your data a bit, to allow you to use some more of tbe apps that make life with busy kids so much easier, especially with your son in travel soccer now. Our hockey team uses the team snap app for everything and it's wonderful for keeping up to date on communication from the coach and manage. I'm guessing you may run into more situations where having more data will be helpful.

Both waze and goggle maps will speak the directions to you and they are very specific, like stay left and the fork, take the second from the right lane, that you can't get from printing out directions. It's really amazing to me how they know exactly where to direct you!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

JustMe
04-02-2018, 12:19 AM
I just finished a 2200 mile road trip. I have a cell phone holder that clips to the vents, others have one that is magnet.

I used waze for the trip and it was invaluable.

I know you have mentioned not using much data/not being too tech savvy , but I'm wondering if you looked into a plan that would up your data a bit, to allow you to use some more of tbe apps that make life with busy kids so much easier, especially with your son in travel soccer now. Our hockey team uses the team snap app for everything and it's wonderful for keeping up to date on communication from the coach and manage. I'm guessing you may run into more situations where having more data will be helpful.

Both waze and goggle maps will speak the directions to you and they are very specific, like stay left and the fork, take the second from the right lane, that you can't get from printing out directions. It's really amazing to me how they know exactly where to direct you!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Well, it is true it would make things easier to have data, but I still dont *need* to do that, so the question for myself is if I should spend the money. I currently pay $20/month for unlimited talk, text, and a negligible amount of data. The soccer "year" starts in May, and we're actually going into our second year; the only challenge with soccer is that they sometimes change the locations of games when we're already on the road. That is actually the biggest problem I have and that is really only in the summer. There are winter games, but they dont change at the last minute. I absolutely would use it for shopping lists, etc, if I had data. I don't have a problem using apps...just only use them at home. So, yes, I am questioning if I need a bigger monthly bill. My kids are on the same plan I am, but its not a family plan so they could stay one it; they absolutely do not need data as there is wifi at home and at school.

klwa
04-02-2018, 07:21 AM
Car vent mount for my cell phone & have it speak the directions. I use the WAZE app.

I used to use a TomTom with lifetime map updates. It's still in my car for back up if there's a problem.

SnuggleBuggles
04-02-2018, 08:27 AM
I stayed on a low data plan far too long, imo. I was starting to hit or go over the allowance but still thought I’d make do. I quadrupled my allowance eventually for really not a lot more and it’s so nice not to stress about running out, especially while traveling.

KrisM
04-02-2018, 08:36 AM

We've bought factory refurbished from Garmin twice. The first one lasted about 6 years and then just didn't turn on any more. The second one is 2 years old now with no issues. This one has lifetime maps and we've downloaded from the computer. You only get the map that came with it, so make sure you pick what you want. I misunderstood the description when buying 2 years ago and got one for the US only. I returned it and got one that included Canada too, since we drive that way often. But we could not just update the map in the US one to include Canada.

DH and I have Verizon and share 2GB per month. It's typically plenty for us. DS1 has a Tracfone and it works to $75/year for 300 minutes, 1000 texts, and 2GB of data (for the year). I do that and then usually get him another 1000 texts for $5. I could also add 1GB for $10. If you had a Tracfone and wanted 1GB per month, that's only about $200/year total and less than the $20/month you pay now. Maybe something to consider?

mom2khj
04-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Stand-alone GPS might be the way to go, but you can also use Android Auto on just your phone.

https://www.lifewire.com/add-android-auto-to-any-car-4113969

I would definitely check if your car has bluetooth, but you don't have to have bluetooth to use your phone this way. Mine actually goes through my car (I have Android Auto on my car) and I just say "ok google, navigate to ...." and it routes me automatically. I do have unlimited data though, so I've never looked to see how much it uses.

Also, cell plans change pretty frequently, you may be able to up your data without increasing your monthly cost very much. I check our plan a few times a year to make sure we're on the best option and several times I've been able to get more data for the same or lower monthly cost!